British Speedway Forum
robert72

Should Tai Woffinden Ride For Team Gb ?

I don't blame Tai for a minute. As a professional sportsman you want to compete at the highest level, which is currently the Polish and Swedish leagues. You want to maximise your earnings. I would imagine again the highest paying leagues are the Polish and Swedish leagues. You also want to give yourself the best chance possible to win the biggest competitions, which in the case of speedway is the Grand Prix.

You only need to see the documentary about Tai after he won his first world title to see the effect of riding every day of the week had on him, he uner-performed on a number of levels. By reducing his commitments he gets the chance to remain fresh and also do a lot of practising and testing equipment. And you only need to read the comments made by Chris Harris after he competed in the British semi-final on the Friday night then had to rush to compete in the Grand Prix on the Saturday.

As for Tai "owing" British speedway for giving him the chance to nurture his talent, I would have thought that Scunthorpe, Rye House and Wolves would have been thankful to him for riding for them. What I would like to see, and this is not just on him, but I would like to see every rider offer their services to the Ben Fund meetings. I would also like to see more than one of those meetings every year.

• Like 2

I would also like to see more than one of those meetings every year.

I think one is enough as any more wouldn't be so well supported. Don't forget there is also a collection at all the EL tracks every year - presumably PL and NL as well?

• Like 1

I don't know why there is all this disagreement then because you seem to be agreeing with the majority that Tai should ride for Britain.

Small text on phone now I can see the mistake but you knew what I meant anyway.

I think one is enough as any more wouldn't be so well supported. Don't forget there is also a collection at all the EL tracks every year - presumably PL and NL as well?

One would be enough if tai and the top boys bothered to turn up for those who are not as lucky as Darcy to have the huge support.

Small text on phone now I can see the mistake but you knew what I meant anyway.

Yes, I did. Just in an awkward mood because it's the last day of my holiday. :lol:

One would be enough if tai and the top boys bothered to turn up for those who are not as lucky as Darcy to have the huge support.

By well supported I meant by the fans not the riders. I don't even know where it was held this year. Kings Lynn? Shame on me but I wouldn't be inclined to go even if it was at Coventry or Leicester as I'm really not interested in individual meetings or seeing the so called 'top riders'.

Edited by Gemini

Yes you're right there are collections at every track and I am always pleased that my team Berwick has set the record for collections for a few years in a row now. Just given the importance of the charity, I would like to see more riders support it, then you could have more than one meeting a year and increase the funds.

HE'S wearing an England shirt in Horsens today ... and please don't say that only because Australia are not in the Euros!

Well? Does that help British Speedway?

Edited by Trees
  • Like 5

Should British speedway turn its back on Tai riding for Team GB after he turned his back on British speedway this year.

I would like to see him left out of the pairs,the world cup and the British final until he puts British speedway first again.

Anyone else agree or do you think he should ride ?

You are wrong.

He should be able to ride for GB and in the Elite League if he wishes. It's up to him where he works as an individual and he does plenty for GB speedway. He has given scheduling reasons and poorly prepared tracks as valid reasons.

Why doesn;t GB speedway get its act in order and race on one night. We might get plenty of top riders coming back that way.

HE'S wearing an England shirt in Horsens today ... and please don't say that only because Australia are not in the Euros!

Didn't he wear an Aussie shirt when watching the Eurovision Song contest ? Wonder how many will think I am being serious.

Edited by marky

I don't think that is an issue Phil it's the fact he is not riding in the British final and refuses to sing the British anthem but sings the Australian one.

Tai is like marmite to British Fans but he also hasn't done himself any favours by snubbing the British final.

• Like 1

I don't think that is an issue Phil it's the fact he is not riding in the British final and refuses to sing the British anthem but sings the Australian one.

Tai is like marmite to British Fans but he also hasn't done himself any favours by snubbing the British final.

change the record you boring monotonous mundane fool must of seen that post 100 times! He is a brit and flying! Get in there Tai
  • Like 5

change the record you boring monotonous mundane fool must of seen that post 100 times! He is a brit and flying! Get in there Tai

I'm awaiting your proof (I.e. Posts quoting) that people hate Tai.

You seem to think everyone has to provide facts so it seems only fair you provide it too.

• Like 1

Being English, I don't give a damn if he sings the national anthem or not as long as he respects it. I do care that he doesn't even give racing in our country a thought now ....

I think that tonight's staged managed wearing of an England shirt by Mr Woffinden shows that
a: He is aware of the negative publicity which not riding in the British Final has brought and

b: It probably does bother him .

Glad he did not go the whole hog and kiss the badge

Tai rather than wearing an England shirt to show you are English .Just ride in the BRITISH FINAL every year,that works a lot better.

• Like 2

I'm awaiting your proof (I.e. Posts quoting) that people hate Tai.

You seem to think everyone has to provide facts so it seems only fair you provide it too.

Yes Gavan (family friend of mark loram) where is your proof that people hate tai ?

You keep wanting proof and as someone gave proof of what I said on another thread was true you failed to even apologize or comment on it as you knew I was right.

So as SL said please provide proof who hates tai ?

I think that tonight's staged managed wearing of an England shirt by Mr Woffinden shows that

a: He is aware of the negative publicity which not riding in the British Final has brought and

b: It probably does bother him .

Glad he did not go the whole hog and kiss the badge

Tai rather than wearing an England shirt to show you are English .Just ride in the BRITISH FINAL every year,that works a lot better.

hes fully aware, judging by his twitter quote tonight