British Speedway Forum
hyderd

National Speedway Stadium Opening Tickets Now On Sale

any recent pics ? i'm going to make the trip for this one !

More recent ones will be uploaded soon

The facilities are being built by Manchester City Council, who are also borrowing the money to pay for the development. It will then be leased to Belle Vue Speedway.

I would love to know how David Gordon convinced a local council to borrow £6m and use it to build a speedway stadium with all the inherent risk involved being taken by the council, when here in Swindon our council is so broke then are suggesting that people may have to start picking up litter and mowing grass verges, as they council can no longer afford to do it.

why not . the councils will gladly spend millions on white elephants for other sports , I cite Derby as just one such case but not 6 million 28 for a new cycling velodrome which is already losing 500.000 a year and set to continue doing so , If this new Belle Vue were to fail (I sincerely hope it's a massive success ) the facilties could easily accomodate another use so the risk of the council winding up with egg on its face are minimal . yet the potential for all mannner of accolades is massive , well done Manchester City council . David Gordon , and Mighty Mort ,

• Like 2

There are a couple of updated pictures over on belle vues twitter feed and Facebook.

Showing the centre green and seat being installed.

• Like 1

I had the privilege and pleasure of being shown round the National Speedway Stadium by Chris Morton and David Gordon yesterday, and the easiest word to use is wow! I have no idea when the last full facility custom made speedway stadium, as opposed to track, was opened, but I really think this one has to be the best ever. The indoor part of the grandstand, with function rooms, meeting rooms, bars, catering outlets and plentiful toilets, plus superb disabled access is simply amazing and will be better than anywhere else in the country for speedway.

But it's outside that excels. Sight lines at the old track were always a problem - not any more. I don't think there will be a single restricted view area at the new stadium whether in the seating or standing areas, and the track is huge, with wide banked bends and slightly curved straights that recreate the old Hyde Road circuit - it must have a real chance of being the fastest circuit in UK. Even Mort is tempted to come out of retirement and have a few laps, knowing him, probably only behind closed doors.

My respect for Chris and David, and everyone else involved in this project knows no bounds. This place is a must see for all speedway supporters and I wish all at Belle Vue every success.

Great words Gordon. Thanks for the insight

• Like 1

This just might be the shot in the arm the sport needs well done to all involved I wish you every success for the future and look forward to visiting and seeing the wonderful stadium first hand :t: .

An enormous amount of work has been taken on by the Belle Vue promotion culminating with the opening meeting on the 19th March.

However we should equally compliment Manchester City Council and the planning dept for their part in the Belle Vue Sports village.

• Like 1

Personally can't wait for the season to start. I do hope that they will fully utilise such a facility and as far as possible have a meeting an each week throughout the season. Being in both leagues will help but maybe some 'extra' meetings which include some of the top boys who prefer to stay away from the EL can also be scheduled. I'm sure a lot of people from other tracks will want to come to a meeting at BV. Here's hoping

PIX also available... @speedwaystarmag

Not in this week's edition there isn't.

However there is a feature on the 1993 Belle Vue league winning team, with a photo of a young Jon Armstrong on page 27 strangely captioned as Max Schofield!

• Like 1

Not in this week's edition there isn't.

However there is a feature on the 1993 Belle Vue league winning team, with a photo of a young Jon Armstrong on page 27 strangely captioned as Max Schofield!

ON our Twitter page (@speedwaystarmag) ... will be either in SS next week or SS Xtra

NOT sure of the exact details but certainly well in advance of minimum Sky requirement. They can also be adapted to spotlight just the track, just the centre green or both.

AJ is the last rider to be announced

Holder as had to withdraw due to polish commitments with torun. Hans Anderson will replace Chris.