British Speedway Forum
TheCookster

Speedway Best Pairs - Esbjerg

It's irrelevent whether riders are born in Britain, Australia or Outer Mongolia. It's irrelevent which licences they have or which passports they have, The meeting was just an open meeting/challenge meeting.

The question I would like to know the answer to is how are the Poles allowed to use the Great Britain team name in their open meeting?

I believe the Great Britain name should only be used by riders representing Britain in official FIM events or ACU/SCB sanctioned test matches.

Have the ACU/SCB given a Polish promoter permission to use our national team name? And if so, why???

I believe they charge Long Eaton and Milton Keynes a hefty fee to use those club names in the Junior Leagues, yet they seem to be giving away our National team name for a Polish promoter to take the mickey out of and bring it into disrepute.

• Like 1

This speedway event tonight was not a FIM speedway event. I will repeat again that this was the Speedway Pairs Cup and by enlarge an invitational meeting at best which David Rowe on Eurosport explained and pointed out quite well.

I have been saying this until I am blue in the face all afternoon. If indeed it had been a FIM meeting then the chosen riders at the beginning of the week would have most likely have had to have ridden tonight apart from Craig Cook who admitted him self that he was unfit.

Excuse me tell me where I said it was an FIM event................I did not...........if you read all my posts you would have seen that..............talk about a knee jerk reaction..................

RP

Marcelina Rutkowska was nice and easy on the eye.

She certainly wasn't picked for her brain.

To me it doesn't matter whether this was an FIM event or not, it doesn't matter whether Mauger and Briggs used to represent GB..this is advertised as a national pairs event, it's advertised as riders representing their country and the fact that Schlein is a proper Aussie representing GB is a farce and cannot be dressed up any other way......not Schlein's fault but farcial for British speedway all the same.

Agree, absolute embarrassing farce - and what an awful meeting too. On a positive young Lambert was on the pace and impressed.

• Like 1

Rory Schlein is a British passport holder due to residency

Sort of an 'off-duty' Aussie.

• Like 1

Which other riders were available for tonight's meeting if you think that they could of done better.

You are missing the point I am making. Its not about finding someone who could do better, if the team is badged as a GB team (which it was) then the riders representing GB should be bleedin British. I really couldn't care less whether they would score more points than Rory Schlein or not

I say it again, there is no criticism of Schlein, he at least had the passion to ride in a meeting but it shouldn't happen. And people can talk about cricket and how we have overseas riders, well that's doing well for the national team isn't it. And what happened 40 or 50 years ago in Speedway is completely irrelevant

British speedway is in a mess and being unable/not bothering to find a GB rider to represent GB is pathetic at every level.

Of course we could argue that the meeting should not be allowed to use country names for meetings like this as well

So for the World Cup who are we looking at, lets wait and see who the Aussies, Poles, Swedes and Danes leave out of their squads. As long as they have had a holiday in the UK that surely qualifies them

Its pathetic

• Like 4

You are missing the point I am making. Its not about finding someone who could do better, if the team is badged as a GB team (which it was) then the riders representing GB should be bleedin British. I really couldn't care less whether they would score more points than Rory Schlein or not

I say it again, there is no criticism of Schlein, he at least had the passion to ride in a meeting but it shouldn't happen. And people can talk about cricket and how we have overseas riders, well that's doing well for the national team isn't it. And what happened 40 or 50 years ago in Speedway is completely irrelevant

British speedway is in a mess and being unable/not bothering to find a GB rider to represent GB is pathetic at every level.

Of course we could argue that the meeting should not be allowed to use country names for meetings like this as well

So for the World Cup who are we looking at, lets wait and see who the Aussies, Poles, Swedes and Danes leave out of their squads. As long as they have had a holiday in the UK that surely qualifies them

Its pathetic

Sadly - I have to agree with this Post.

It is a disgrace that we couldn't find somebody British to ride for us. To what level has British Speedway sunk that this is the case?

A bit surprised to see 'Roscoe' there for what was, in reality, just 'filler' Meeting with no relevance whatsoever to British Speedway apart from one Rider.

All very sad really.

Seems to me that there was only Scott Nicholls left as a GB rider who was available but the BSPA/SCB blocked it.

Danny King, Chris Harris, Eddie Kennett, Kyle Howarth and Ben Barker all unavailable riding for their clubs last night, and also with Craig Cook admitting he was not fit.

So which GB rider would have been available without postponing a meeting in the UK last night.

Give me a credible riders name who could have ridden then I will agree with you.

Maybe one off the EDR's (British Speedway Elite Draft Riders) could have ridden who knows, some of them were riding for their clubs last night. Rosco did not seem to want to go down that route of using the afore mention riders ie EDR's.

I like yourselves are not in a position to solve any or all of the problems speedway as just like yourselves it is just an opinion.

It isn't an opinion that they couldn't find a decent British Rider to ride for Great Britain (not the dreadful TeamGB by the way). It is a FACT.

If the BSPA/SCB blocked Scott Nicholls from riding - why did they permit Alun Rossiter to attend as Team Manager?

Bearing in mind that Rory has guested for EL teams on so many occasions, I don't see why there's a surprise he guested for Team GB.

Well Kylmäkorpi have ridden for Finland in the SWC: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finland_national_speedway_team

but is now listed in the preliminary Swedish SWC squad: http://www.svemo.se/sv/Grenar/Speedway/Nyheter/SverigestrupptillSpeedwayWorldCup2015/

Although he does have both Finnish and Swedish citizenship.

Imo the whole licensing thing needs to be straightening out. We have riders like Rasmus Jensen who are doing the Danish GP qualifiers on Danish

license (I presume) since he is Danish but at the same time he will use a Swedish license when he rides for his Swedish league team Dackarna,

Imo he should be forced to choose, either Danish qualifiers on a Danish license or Swedish league on a Swedish license but not both.

Didn't Marvyn Cox and Andy Smith ride on German and Polish licences?

Guess problem is that we didn't enter the competition at the start; could've organised the fixture-list around it (& Tai could've done the same)

Good to see that GB entered tho, & hopefully next year will be there at the begining

So if I organise a made-up speedway event and bill it as between 'national teams', should it still be taken seriously?

I think if it was televised and advertised as a National Pairs event then yes it should be taken seriously....I think that's the least TV viewers expect and deserve

Now if you were organising it as a filler challenge meeting at the local track then maybe not.....but the fact it is billed as what it is and it is televised around Europe then yes I do think it should be taken seriously.

• Like 2