British Speedway Forum
The White Knight

Teamgb V. Great Britain?

You seem to have all the answers, enlighten me. Why England in 2000 and Great Britain in 2001?

They weren't. They were Great Britain in 2000.

You are welcome

As to Ian's original point whether it should be Great Britain or Team GB, it is totally insignificant. It is a name, no more no less and the subject doesn't warrant the minute of my time this took to type

So why did you?

If my point is if it is such a great waste of time to you - then why Reply?

Perhaps to look clever or, for some reason, to slap me down.

Judging by the number of Replies on this Thread - there are a fair few Posters who agree with me.

Your belittling of the Subject does you no credit. You are also belittling those who have taken the trouble to reply.

Insignificant - I don't think so!!!

So why did you?

If my point is if it is such a great waste of time to you - then why Reply?

Perhaps to look clever or, for some reason, to slap me down.

Judging by the number of Replies on this Thread - there are a fair few Posters who agree with me.

Your belittling of the Subject does you no credit. You are also belittling those who have taken the trouble to reply.

Insignificant - I don't think so!!!

Well both really!!!!

Calm down old timer, I am already on Sidneys hit list, I don't need any more enemies

For how much longer is our International Speedway Team going to be known by that bloody awful name TeamGB? Talk about stating the bloody obvious:

i) It is a Team.

ii) It is Great Britain.

Why the hell can we not just call our International Team 'GREAT BRITAIN' so that we can have some pride in both the Team and our Country.

But PLEASE not the obnoxious TeamGB - it is an abomination!!!!!

I would also ask for a big Union Flag on the racejacket - but I have little doubt that would be going too far.

http://speedwayplus.com/FreddieWilliams.shtml

Link taken from SpeedwayPlus website.

Hands off 'TeamGB', i've still got my old hat. :wink:

Well both really!!!!

Calm down old timer, I am already on Sidneys hit list, I don't need any more enemies

Fair enough. :t:

If they don't want to ride for Russia we could put them in,like we did with Schlein :P

Nice one Iris...I knew I could rely on you :rofl: . Perhaps they have British Great, Great Grandparents making them eligible.

They weren't. They were Great Britain in 2000.

It was definitely England at the last wtc at Coventry, I remember the race suits with the cross of St. George.

I presume you would like the 1984 world pairs champions referred to as Manchester then as thats where the winning team came from.

stop being so pedantic, England will do

It was definitely England at the last wtc at Coventry, I remember the race suits with the cross of St. George.

The official records show Great Britain every year. England was never the official team name

stop being so pedantic, England will do

Why, you want the team named after where the riders came from so why not Manchester

Why, you want the team named after where the riders came from so why not Manchester

it's for international events, therefore the COUNTRY they represent

what an utterly pointless thing to get so worked up about!!

Absolutely !

Team GB is a brand carried by many branches of British sport. It is a brand promoted by the Sports Council and recognised by agencies and bodies outside sport. To that extent it helps to keep speedway in the general 'sporting" frame and gives certain advantages which I won't bore everybody with, but suffice to say that if people gave the matter a bit of thought and research before getting hot under the collar about such a trivial matter they might realise there is a reason for the name and maybe in the process save themselves an unnecessary heart attack.

• Like 2

it's for international events, therefore the COUNTRY they represent

They don't represent England, any more than they represent Manchester. The represent Great Britain.

well they represented England when I used to go watch them .. England v USA in the Durex test matches were some of the best I've seen too

well they represented England when I used to go watch them .. England v USA in the Durex test matches were some of the best I've seen too

Test matches are not FIM events, they are just arrangements between federations, hence England v Rest of the world or Australasia etc.

In the SWC they represent Great Britain, this isn't to be pedantic or argumentative, its just a fact

they were called England in the WTC too .. or weren't they FIM events?