British Speedway Forum
SCB

Gerhard Engine

A Two Valve Jawa. :t::approve: :approve:

I recently read that the new Norton, is 2 valves per cylinder, which surprised me with a modern engine!

• Like 1

It's been said before but make a 2 valve Jawa short stroke with light flywheels (which is what would happen) and it wouldn't be even slightly more reliable than what you have now.

I recently read that the new Norton, is 2 valves per cylinder, which surprised me with a modern engine!

I think the new Norton only has exhaust valves , its high pressure direct injection no need for inlets

The engines rev 10-15000 rpm. I was reading about F1 engines having pneumatic springs to cope. Would a speedway bike be allowed a gas bottle on them to run some valve springs? I think it would make the engine run faster. Plus the engine wouldnt have to compress the springs so it should become easier to turn and have less losses in the mechanicals.

http://scarbsf1.com/valves.html

He got 144mph out of a JRM/Jawa so in terms of top end speed theres not a lot between them.

He got 144mph out of a JRM/Jawa so in terms of top end speed theres not a lot between them.

Top end speed isnt, and never has been the be all and end all. The dohc 4 valve jawa was much quicker than the weslake, in a race down the motorway the jawa would win every time. Despite that the jawa was rarely the weapon of choice because converting that rpm to forward motion was difficult.

Top end speed isnt, and never has been the be all and end all. The dohc 4 valve jawa was much quicker than the weslake, in a race down the motorway the jawa would win every time. Despite that the jawa was rarely the weapon of choice because converting that rpm to forward motion was difficult.

I agree. Especially as no speedway bike is ever going to 150mph! If they hit 70 they're going some!

Plus isn't a speedway bike ( like most racing engines really) more about getting a steady and even power through the revs (or at least through the bit you use!) rather than the more the curved shaped (when looked at on a graph)?

A bit off topic but still about engines. Is there anyone who speaks czech? Found an article about new Jawa engine. Looks like a two valve?

http://www.speedwaya-z.cz/?cat=1248

I did press the translate button and did get English words, but still none the wiser really! I think, maybe, it is an engine which needs infrequent servicing, similar to the Gerhard....but might be making 2+2=5!

THINK Sam Ermolenko might be involved. Also that it could be 570cc...

Classic Sam!

• Like 2

This all makes for very interesting reading(well I did get a little bored!!!) concerning Gerhard and a complaint from ex rider Richard Speiser that he nicked his idea.The lawyers are rubbing their hands at least

http://www.speedweek.com//sandbahn/news/84022/Richard-Speiser-wurde-um-den-eigenen-Motor-betrogen.html

This is off-topic but I would be interested in a response. Marcel Gerhard (Switzerland) was winner of the world long track championship in the 1980s (?) and also excelled on grass tracks.

I have a recollection that (a) he also worked at one time for Otto Lamtemhammer and (had a couple of seasons with a German speedway league club?

Edited by Guest