British Speedway Forum
SCB

Gerhard Engine

riders haven't been ripped off by tuners after all it's the riders that want the extra speed/performance so the tuners are just doing what riders ask but the free for all that tuners have has pushed the prices up and up , apart from 500cc and 4 valves tuners are pretty much unregulated in what they can do and basically the parts they use are to get the best performance rather than reliability from them but if parts were made for reliability and holomagated and no machine work was allowed on the parts so everyone had to use them , no one would have an advantage and costs of parts could be set accordingly , I have been a rider , mechanic and done pretty much done everything in speedway but my thoughts these days are from a fan point of view and my concerns are for the future of the sport , I don't just pluck these ideas out of thin air , I ask questions from both sides of the fence , if I'm off the mark then fine , I have no axe to grind with any individual in the sport , I just want to see a future in the sport and one other point I would like to make is i have no financial intrest in any of my thoughts/proposals so I can't really be biased towards any solution or idea and that can't be said of other people who have had their say over the last couple of seasons , I believe the sport has come to the end if it's financial system and a new financial structure is needed and everyone from riders mechanics and tuners are going to feel like they are being hard done too but it's got to happen with the end result being a cheaper sport for fans to attend

if the engine doesn't hit the limiter during a race what's the point of the limiter ?yes John's does but we are talking peanuts in money saving , every rider should know the importance of a clean air filter and yes there are mechanics who Rev the engines in the pits but we are talking hardly a difference in cost , gerhard , kelvin and Peter are all good at their job which is to be the fastest but as a way forward for the sport they seem ignorant and single minded

that the problem speedway is not a motor sport , it's a team sport on motorbikes

Stop talking sense... ;-)

It's not really worth debating anymore, but just imagine coming into the pit bend at Rye House racing hard, middle of the bend and the rev limiter kicks in, which hospital do you end up in? I used Rye as an example, as it is always slick, and this is where the rev limiter will come in most.

• Like 3

It's not really worth debating anymore, but just imagine coming into the pit bend at Rye House racing hard, middle of the bend and the rev limiter kicks in, which hospital do you end up in? I used Rye as an example, as it is always slick, and this is where the rev limiter will come in most.

FROM what I understand the limit would be set at around 13,000 rpm and would only in practice kick in at the start line. You wouldn't need an engine revving at over 13,000 to get round the Rye House corners, or anywhere else for that matter, unless you had made a complete pig's ear of the gearing.

• Like 1

FROM what I understand the limit would be set at around 13,000 rpm and would only in practice kick in at the start line. You wouldn't need an engine revving at over 13,000 to get round the Rye House corners, or anywhere else for that matter, unless you had made a complete pig's ear of the gearing.

My jockey last year was running a system that retarded the ignition when it saw 12000 rpm. Perfect for slick track starts and as the torque curve tends to die off at around 10500 rpm there was no danger of it kicking in during a race.

so as I said if it's set way above what is needed what's the point of it being there ?
  • Like 1

so as I said if it's set way above what is needed what's the point of it being there ?

I believe more engine damage is done in the pits over revving engines on the stand than on the track!

Why not reduce the current engines back to 2 valve heads , you would reduce the revs by nature and the costs of valves and springs would be halved

I believe more engine damage is done in the pits over revving engines on the stand than on the track!

i am a mechanic and it's very few idiots who Rev engines to much in the pits

I think you'll find that most damage is caused at the start line.

• Like 1

I think you'll find that most damage is caused at the start line.

Whether at the start line or on a stand, still free revving

Ive noticed that riders are doing far less practise starts these days so is this as a result of the many reruns we seem to have?

Perhaps the referees need to be educated in engine wear and be less aggressive over starting procedure.

Edited by GWC
  • Like 2

Whether at the start line or on a stand, still free revving

In the pits, the mechanics & riders blip the throttle for engine warm up procedures. If the engines are over-revved before being warm then you have a poor mechanic and/or maintenance.

At the start line, when all riders are ready, they rev their bike until the start light comes on then rev it more before the tapes rise. It is this last action that causes the problems.

• Like 3

In the pits, the mechanics & riders blip the throttle for engine warm up procedures. If the engines are over-revved before being warm then you have a poor mechanic and/or maintenance.

At the start line, when all riders are ready, they rev their bike until the start light comes on then rev it more before the tapes rise. It is this last action that causes the problems.

Betcha Bomber and Lykke-Nielsen don't suffer this affliction

Though they both look like Todd Wiltshire compared to Chris Morton

Edited by Triple.H.

Hans Nielsen would go from the start on barely tick over, on the other hand, Mark Loram would rev the engine to the heavens!

I think the benefit of a rev limiter could, in the long term, be to make short stroke engines obsolete. Then possibly you get back to long stroke engines with heavier flywheels which in my opinion are inherently safer especially as silencers become more restrictive which they will undoubtedly do.

Can't see how an engine hitting a limiter in the middle of a race is any different to one which over revs, either way the power disappears and you get some unexpected grip.

I think the benefit of a rev limiter could, in the long term, be to make short stroke engines obsolete. Then possibly you get back to long stroke engines with heavier flywheels which in my opinion are inherently safer especially as silencers become more restrictive which they will undoubtedly do.

Can't see how an engine hitting a limiter in the middle of a race is any different to one which over revs, either way the power disappears and you get some unexpected grip.

on the first point why not only allow long stoke with heavy flywheels then not only would you bring revs down but would make the bikes predictable again and the 2nd point , either way the end result is putting riders in danger