British Speedway Forum
SCB

Gerhard Engine

Yes I have...maybe you need to read that quote again. 'speedway engines from the brand GM are getting tuned and prepared for racing'.

Obviously an older website.

Or you could just look at your TV or various other sources of speedway news where the Gerhard engine has been featured and possibly notice it looks nothing like a GM.

• Like 1

£5500 + VAT Wow :o

and you can get a jawa for less than half of that and they are good enough for national league and premier or what ever it's called these days but you can lead a horse to water etc , cheaper to run speedway is right there Infront of our eyes we just need to open them, with cooperation from jawa we could get the engines as we want them , am i the only one who can see the potential in this ? Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 1

£5500 + VAT Wow :o

That's about the same price of a new ash-tech engine lol I spoke to David Howe a while back at scunny when he was testing the Rev limiter for himself said it was fantastic out of the start when he eventually got it set up for him I think it was set for just over 13000 rpm he tried it higher and lower but the power was to much and just spun up or anything lower just never pulled him off the gate but much would depend how the rider sets his clutch up what the starts were like think ryan Douglas used them also , no two riders will have the same setup ,you could put 2 GP riders on the exsact same engine and do four laps and both would probably change different set ups to make it easier for them to ride it the way they want ,it would also depend how and where they want to ride on the track inside or way out in the deep stuff if there is any dirt on the track some rider have different engines for different tracks some now are using long stroke offsets I never even knew you could get such a thing but they are out there make the tracks concistant that would help
  • Like 2

That's about the same price of a new ash-tech engine lol I spoke to David Howe a while back at scunny when he was testing the Rev limiter for himself said it was fantastic out of the start when he eventually got it set up for him I think it was set for just over 13000 rpm he tried it higher and lower but the power was to much and just spun up or anything lower just never pulled him off the gate but much would depend how the rider sets his clutch up what the starts were like think ryan Douglas used them also , no two riders will have the same setup ,you could put 2 GP riders on the exsact same engine and do four laps and both would probably change different set ups to make it easier for them to ride it the way they want ,it would also depend how and where they want to ride on the track inside or way out in the deep stuff if there is any dirt on the track some rider have different engines for different tracks some now are using long stroke offsets I never even knew you could get such a thing but they are out there make the tracks concistant that would help

Nail on head...and exactly why Speedway is broken as a sport that can prosper.

and you can get a jawa for less than half of that and they are good enough for national league and premier or what ever it's called these days but you can lead a horse to water etc , cheaper to run speedway is right there Infront of our eyes we just need to open them, with cooperation from jawa we could get the engines as we want them , am i the only one who can see the potential in this ?

And here is your answer.

How anyone can't see that tighter regulations are needed is beyond me.

As Mac101 pointed out...Speedway bikes are completely different, depending on which rider is riding them.

Too much allowance is allowed in riders making the bike 'personal' to them.

All riders looking for that edge....constantly tinkering to find the right 'set up' that feels right for them.

Just stop it.

All you need are four standard bikes...and four riders in each race. Just bloody go and race them, instead of trying to adapt the bike to suit the individual. The Individual should be trying to adapt to ride the bike. Simple.

The sooner engines are 'standardised' with tighter regulations the better.

Wont happen.To much money in Poland

Be ok in the UK.But how many guys will buy bikes just for the UK

Wont happen.To much money in Poland

Be ok in the UK.But how many guys will buy bikes just for the UK

Poland has moved on...there is no way GB can compete now.

The only way Club Speedway can grow in this country, is if they go down a completely different route to what is the norm now. Basically start again.

You need to take away the expense of buying bikes and tuning from the individual riders.

BSPA needs to do a deal with the likes of JAWA...where Clubs own the engines. Or there is a big pot that the clubs pay in to, to finance buying the engines.

A big problem is mixing Club Speedway with Individual Speedway.

They should be two different concerns.

Standardised limited engines that aren't highly tuned and on breaking point, owned by the Clubs or BSPA, that are built to last and have little up keep compared to now. The engines kept in racing condition by mechanics employed by the Clubs or BSPA. These are what should be used in Club Speedway. That way riders can be paid accordingly. They will have less outlay in service and tuning costs and in buying engines. The only outlay for them, being their Individual rolling chassis. Why pay money to riders, where they are spending it on engines and tuning being used in Individual events for their own concerns, not the Clubs?

If riders want to ride in Individual events, then that's their concern, and it's up to them to finance it or find sponsors and build their own bikes for those events.

Yes it's a big change...but plodding along tinkering with the rules every season isn't going to help.

Club speedway in this country needs a big shake up and change in the way it's run.

Clubs and the Promotors need to take back more control and take the power back from some of the big hitting riders.

I'd be very happy to see no GP riders race Club speedway in this Country. They are a complete drain. And are far removed from the majority of the other riders in their team.

Start again...create Club riders...not riders that are focussing on Individual gains.

Personally I'd like to see two different codes created.

Individual Speedway riders....and Club Speedway riders. Where you either do one or the other. No way could that happen in it's present form...but speedway has allowed it to develop over it's history to how it is now. This is why it's become so hard to change.

• Like 1

I can see the potential in the above points however the flaws are there always will be if the engines come from one large random pool.

E.g There are 100 engines in the pool for arguments sake Rider 1 gets engine no.17 uses it for a meeting and then when removing it drops a nice handful of dirt/shale in the engine inlet before handing it back. Next week Rider 1 has a 1 in 100 chance of getting that engine again, Rider 2 gets engine no.17 and has a ruined meeting due to engine failures.

The theory above is good but putting into practice is going to be difficult.

• Like 2

And, of course, 100 engines at £5,000 a throw is half a million pounds ... who is going to pay that?

• Like 2

And, of course, 100 engines at £5,000 a throw is half a million pounds ... who is going to pay that?

The paying public as ever. I agree that costs need to come down but personally feel a limit on points money reducing the available capital for riders to invest in engines & have to investigate cheaper alternatives themselves is a better way to go.

If you ordered 100 they would be cheaper than that, especially if you were offering exclusivity. Personally I doubt it will happen and the more likely contract would be with JAWA. You never know though, they might all be on electric bikes supplied by Dyson one day.

If you restricted British Speedway to Jawa supplied bikes only what would happen to the price a couple of years down the road, especially if GM don't survive the restriction of their trade?

• Like 1

one thing on the Kylmpakorpi doing 89 races or whatever on one engine with a rev limiter before needing a service.

what type of results was he getting with this engine ?

it's ok saying his service costs were lower because of it, but was he earning less because of it ?

his form for Wolves when I watched him was very inconsistent at best. his results was one of the reasons (and Tai being available) that he was dropped from the team.

Edited by Joe1986

If you restricted British Speedway to Jawa supplied bikes only what would happen to the price a couple of years down the road, especially if GM don't survive the restriction of their trade?

A guarantee in the contract could be negotiated, GM would still have the rest of the Speedway world and access to the grass and longtrack markets.

I can see the potential in the above points however the flaws are there always will be if the engines come from one large random pool.

E.g There are 100 engines in the pool for arguments sake Rider 1 gets engine no.17 uses it for a meeting and then when removing it drops a nice handful of dirt/shale in the engine inlet before handing it back. Next week Rider 1 has a 1 in 100 chance of getting that engine again, Rider 2 gets engine no.17 and has a ruined meeting due to engine failures.

The theory above is good but putting into practice is going to be difficult.

You don't allow the rider to take the engine out...or it's supervised. If every rider had that mentality, then it would eventually catch up with them. A different way of thinking has to occur. Damage an engine...then you damage your livelihood.

You do a deal of exclusivity. Paid in instalments. It doesn't need to be JAWA, but they are the only manufacturer I know that produce engines, assembled straight from the factory and have the means to do it. Call it the Premier 'JAWA' league or whatever...with Sky TV, they would love the exposure I'm sure. Make it a long term contract and it's worth their while.

The paying public as ever. I agree that costs need to come down but personally feel a limit on points money reducing the available capital for riders to invest in engines & have to investigate cheaper alternatives themselves is a better way to go.

The riders pay would come down considerably. More would be gone towards buying 'Club Engines'...the rider would not have the cost of buying engines or maintaining them. A good percentage of riders costs go on this. Don't look at GP riders as examples...but your average Club rider. It's a different world for them. Plus more and more riders aren't getting paid by Clubs. So many are owed money. When you speak to mechanics and riders alike, or their sponsors, you hear the real story and not what you are led to believe in the media...it's far worse than many think.

There will always be if's and but's...unfortunately the people who have been involved in Speedway for many years, the majority of the BSPA, have become blinkered and will always find a reason not to change. The sooner these people are out of speedway, the better...they are ruining Club Speedway, as they are so set in their ways. The younger Generation of Promotors will, I believe, have the courage to change...as they can see outside the box and the problems we have now.

It's a bit like the BREXIT vote...people voted for change, but there was no policy in place as to how it will work.

You sometimes just have to find ways of making it to work for the better, and overcome the obstacles, instead of continually finding reasons not to change.

Of course there would be hiccups...but it can't be any worse than it is now.

Club Speedway is struggling...the average rider struggles to survive. Why keep doing the same thing over and over again, when it's clear to see it isn't working?

Edited by Gresham