British Speedway Forum
SCB

Gerhard Engine

Hans Nielsen used a laydown engine at Pocking in 1993. He finished second to Ermolenko, and probably would have won it had it not been for a couple of doubtful decisions from the referee.

Sudden Sam was one of the last to ride an upright and many say it hampered his career ( not that he did not achieve great things) but i believe that Ivan Mauger said laydowns are easier to ride due to lower center of gravity . It is legal to use an upright in speedway today it's just down to riders preferring the laydowns and everyone folowing the leader as always happens in motor sports .

Following the leader, could also be the way the ride around the track now, with off and go from the gate, the teams would score far more points over the season, if the riders could only learn how to team ride. There seems to be so many these days that have the attitude, I am going out to win. At all costs. You quite often see, a team riders go off like a rocket and gain a big lead and stay there, whilst his mate is in second place and fighting off, the 2 opposition riders behind him, on his own he can't cover all the line against them, but with a bit of help from his mate they would have gained those much needed points, come the end of the year.

Has speedway now turned into a selfish, win all attitude by the riders. Rather than the team sport it should be.

If this engine is a succes, and something is done to restrict, those riders who have money to burn. By getting the most or tuning that is just on the border line of the engine blowing up, we could well see, a change in the way riders have to race.

Could bring us some interesting results.

I have no idea what the costs are these days, but on that basis Speedibee, how does a promoter pay his riders and run a track, with the number of paying punters through the turnstiles? I watched the back end of a meeting last night on TV, from Sweden. There was hardly anyone in the stadium, yet, it was a high level meeting!

Sweden and Denmark , run along on sponsorship , their government rules favour sponsorship much more than ours do . an average "service" on an engine after 30 races you will not see change from £450 , add to that a tyre at £40 . oil £8.50 per litre ( 500ml last 4 races) gallon of methanol ( £7 ) travel expenses , I assume airflights will be included in the cost of employing foreign riders , Could well be the reason Aussies are so popular with promoters because they live here , all makes for a very expensive rider bill at the end of the evening . I believe the home promoter has to pay the away teams points money as well .

Reference was made to using petrol instead of methanol because of its combustion advantages to bring costs down. Its main disadvantage is that as it is more volatile it could result in serious fires.

Reference was made to using petrol instead of methanol because of its combustion advantages to bring costs down. Its main disadvantage is that as it is more volatile it could result in serious fires.

that is true , but the lower compression needed to b urn it and the fact that it is 1/3 rd less powerful than methanol leads to far less stress on the bottom end , of course another downside to petrol is the heat it generates . Im not sure theres enough air round the engine to cool it , especailly when you consider out of each 5 minutes the engine runs it's only rushing theorugh the air for one of them

The modern speedway engine would struggle on petrol, there is just not enough fining around the engine to cool it, just look at any modern speedway enginge it is just a solid block virtually. Then take a look at the design of the old upright engines, which where basicly, just well tuned road bike engines of that era.

Sudden Sam was one of the last to ride an upright and many say it hampered his career ( not that he did not achieve great things) but i believe that Ivan Mauger said laydowns are easier to ride due to lower center of gravity . It is legal to use an upright in speedway today it's just down to riders preferring the laydowns and everyone folowing the leader as always happens in motor sports .

Firs ever laydown i ever saw was in 1975 at a winter training school at Cradley Heath. Bruce Cribb had one, did about 2 laps & went bang!!

I believe the home promoter has to pay the away teams points money as well .

Not all of it. I think there's a fixed rate per point that the home promoter pays for the travelling team.

Firs ever laydown i ever saw was in 1975 at a winter training school at Cradley Heath. Bruce Cribb had one, did about 2 laps & went bang!!

Don't mention the 'F' word, you will have Norwich speedway supporters phoning the Samaritans!

• Like 1

They say on tv that Lambert and Harris are on This new engine. I wonder if its the 15 min or 20hrs version... Looking fast, no questions!

please please please . keep the tuners snitches out of this engine , massive chance here to cut costs and no doubt whatsoever they are wondering how they will fill their greedy wallets if everyone switches to an engine with long service intervals

They say on tv that Lambert and Harris are on This new engine. I wonder if its the 15 min or 20hrs version... Looking fast, no questions!

HARRIS all evening but not Lambert. Probably both in Vojens.

• Like 1

HARRIS all evening but not Lambert. Probably both in Vojens.

Harris looked fast all night and made some gates. Engine looks quick but I know nothing about engines.

• Like 1

Harris looked fast all night and made some gates. Engine looks quick but I know nothing about engines.

must be something special when the worlds worst gater can make good starts on it ..

• Like 1