British Speedway Forum
SCB

Gerhard Engine

Speedibee, Wranglers all the way. Rockers don't wear Levis. :nono:;):cheers:

Edited by tyretrax

there are many suitable alternatives for any application , and considering the lifetime of a spark plug why would anyone bother to fake them , it's not as if they are everyday purchases , and to make it worthwhile you would need to sell a huge amount ,which won't happen because the biggest users , dealer franchises , buy straight from the source , what we were actually debating is how much speedway suppliers mark up goods

that are marketed as special to speedway . there is almost nothing that is actually speedway only ,except crap that has briggo stamped on it

On that basis, speedway spares suppliers must be operating a Cartel, allegedly, which if I am right, is illegal.

On that basis, speedway spares suppliers must be operating a Cartel, allegedly, which if I am right, is illegal.

not really , they just overcharge for everything because they can get away with it , bad management and laziness is the cause of a lot of it . shall i order some methanol at X price , nah just get some at the track it's only £3 more . Where would i get a spark plug for my speedway bike, shall i read the numbers on the side and order one the same off the internet , nah just ring Joe Hughes , he will have some and he will post it , save using your brain for 5 seconds and only an extra £30 , while people are too lazy and hypnotised into thinking everything on a speedway bike is specifically for that purpose , then suppliers will continue to rob them ,

I remember Joe Screen (when at Odsal) bringing a variety of parts back from Poland, they were cheap and supplied by another rider I believe, he experienced a good number of mechanical failures over following meetings and went back to the tried and trusted parts from their tried and trusted source.

• Like 1

I remember years ago, looking at the riders in the Rayleigh pits, when most of the boys had 2 valve Jawas, they used to take their plugs out and screw them into a long thin cylinder and shake the plug and cylinder for several minutes. What was in the cylinder and did it really rejuvenate the plug?

I remember years ago, looking at the riders in the Rayleigh pits, when most of the boys had 2 valve Jawas, they used to take their plugs out and screw them into a long thin cylinder and shake the plug and cylinder for several minutes. What was in the cylinder and did it really rejuvenate the plug?

thin rods of lead coated wire , as you shook the tube the wires went up inside the spark plug and cleaned it rather like a sweeps brush cleans a chimney but they worked vertically , quite effective on sooted up plugs , but wouldn't do much in a modern engine because they are not that dirty running

Edited by speedibee
  • Like 1

There was a speedway video on a Glasgow web site, not speedway, and a rider was seen cleaning a plug using the tube method. I had to explain what he was doing and that he wasn't making rude gestures. :o:cheers:

• Like 3

I personally find that Aldi beans have a slightly harder texture than others and as such aren't quite as nice.

In terms of the tomato sauce Branston beans are way out in front.

• Like 2

So anyone know how many engines have been bought?

Sorry to go on topic

So anyone know how many engines have been bought?

Sorry to go on topic

How dare you drag this conversation back on topic :nono:

Was wondering this myself as there is a full page advert on the back of last weeks speedway star. If they were flying out the door why would they have bothered with additional advertising?

How dare you drag this conversation back on topic :nono:

Was wondering this myself as there is a full page advert on the back of last weeks speedway star. If they were flying out the door why would they have bothered with additional advertising?

I doubt that they'll be "flying out the door" yet, if you're set up to something else it's a big move to change, especially when certain tuners are trying to preserve their pocket lining activities by doing their best to dissuade any potential buyers. I think once a few more start appearing sales will pick up.

With the announcement of the tie up with GTR being just before Xmas, I would have thought most riders would have already sent engines to be reset/retuned to suit tracks they are moving too. Until more than a handful of riders have tested them at the winter tracks that are open, I doubt we will know.

Team changes & possible engine changes will happen after new averages have been obtained around the end of April or mid May.

I doubt that they'll be "flying out the door" yet, if you're set up to something else it's a big move to change, especially when certain tuners are trying to preserve their pocket lining activities by doing their best to dissuade any potential buyers. I think once a few more start appearing sales will pick up.

I agree the timing of the deal was a little late & sales will improve once more riders use them successfully however the bspa purchased 200/250 units?

How many riders are competing in the UK this year? A similar number at a guess so that means every rider needs to buy one or 50% of riders need to buy two to shift the stock.

Whilst the bulk price may lead to a nice little profit for the bspa & a major step forward in speedway, it could also be a huge financial lemon and they get stuck with loads of engines they cannot shift (is a GTR Mk2 coming next year?) and thrown loads of money that could have been better spent elsewhere away.

• Like 1

Never buy anything the first year it's released, too many teething problems……. Water-cooled GM anyone ? That one slipped quietly away.

• Like 2