British Speedway Forum
Odds On

Sitingbourne To Go Elite?

Unfortunately there are quite a few examples from the past that would give me huge misgivings over this move.
There have been many examples of the rather dire consequences of 'moving up' in similar fashion Wimbledon, Reading, Birmingham and Hackney spring to mind.
Some were only saved by 'dropping back' as soon as they could.

I know there have been success stories as well.

Much could be made of the Lakeside fans following to Sittingbourne.
But that rarely happens in Speedway, to any great degree or for very long.

No, if I were a Sittingbourne supporter I would hope for the best in any such move.

But still really fear the worst.

It would be awful for one season in the limelight to be followed by the doors closing forever.

• Like 2

Moving up to the EL was a disaster for Birmingham (twice - same in 1976) so Kent would be very ill-advised to repeat this.

No its because your promotion was crap

Edited by Pirate Oliver

And here lies the key to the overwhelming majority of the sports problems!

• Like 1

And here lies the key to the overwhelming majority of the sports problems!

Probably true on both counts.

Which is why any current supporter of Sittingbourne could be justified in their concerns.

That may be the judgement passed, this time next year, if this fails too.

I'm not sure it is a gamble I would want to be taken, by others, with my team.

If I was happy enough right now.

Is this purely a most unlikely rumour or is there likely to be any substance to the suggestion?.

• Like 1

Is this purely a most unlikely rumour or is there likely to be any substance to the suggestion?.

I think it's probably that someone has got the wrong end of the Lakeside to Sittingbourne rumour.

• Like 1

Its almost as true as the Sunday Sport story (or whatever rag it was) about a London Transport bus being found on the moon. In other words to a rational thinker its a most unlikely rumour, but to the BSF rumour mill it's highly likely. Take your pick.

• Like 1

Never admit to reading the Sunday Sport :party:

Unfortunately there are quite a few examples from the past that would give me huge misgivings over this move.

There have been many examples of the rather dire consequences of 'moving up' in similar fashion Wimbledon, Reading, Birmingham and Hackney spring to mind.

Some were only saved by 'dropping back' as soon as they could.

I know there have been success stories as well.

Much could be made of the Lakeside fans following to Sittingbourne.

But that rarely happens in Speedway, to any great degree or for very long.

No, if I were a Sittingbourne supporter I would hope for the best in any such move.

But still really fear the worst.

It would be awful for one season in the limelight to be followed by the doors closing forever.

Seen plenty of teams go bust in the PL over the years .... ..the bottom line is most clubs go bust etc because they are badly run not what league they are in . the bit about brum always makes me laugh ....people always tend to forget the amount of money patch lost while he ran pl speedway there and Don't forget Newport etc

Its almost as true as the Sunday Sport story (or whatever rag it was) about a London Transport bus being found on the moon. In other words to a rational thinker its a most unlikely rumour, but to the BSF rumour mill it's highly likely. Take your pick.

Come on ...your be telling me next Gazza's face was not on that piece of toast next .

Edited by orion

Seen plenty of teams go bust in the PL over the years .... ..the bottom line is most clubs go bust etc because they are badly run not what league they are in . the bit about brum always makes me laugh ....people always tend to forget the amount of money patch lost while he ran pl speedway there and Don't forget Newport etc

Newport, Stoke, IoW and Mildenhall. All failed in the PL. Proof the PL is crap obviously. While Bournmouth, Newport, IoW and Weymouth all failed in the NL, proof it's crap obviously.

Moving up to the EL was a disaster for Birmingham (twice - same in 1976) so Kent would be very ill-advised to repeat this.

And of course how Great it was for Brum in the PL ...it can't be long before someone says that World class riders beat the other riders by half a lap at El level in every race ...the myths and half truths are still coming at rapid speed I see .

It's been mentioned already about the standard of rider being closer in the PL.... which of course now with the race format in the EL is far, far from the truth.

You only have to look at the spread of averages in each league, far more tightly congested in the EL.

Come on ...your be telling me next Gazza's face was not on that piece of toast next .

Even that one was more believable than the one about the speedway rider who said he only had two drinks and was still drunk when breath tested the next day :D

• Like 2

Seen plenty of teams go bust in the PL over the years .... ..the bottom line is most clubs go bust etc because they are badly run not what league they are in .

Absolutely spot on.

Just that one of the tell-tale signs of some clubs whose ownership have lost their sanity.

Turns out, with hindsight, to be taking them into the 'First Division' when they really shouldn't.

• Like 1

It's been mentioned already about the standard of rider being closer in the PL.... which of course now with the race format in the EL is far, far from the truth.

You only have to look at the spread of averages in each league, far more tightly congested in the EL.

The race format that has been used since the introduction of the EL draft riders puts a completely different slant on the averages though. In the scheduled course of an EL meeting the very best riders do not compete against the weakest riders. That is bound to compress the range of averages. As long as EL and PL and using different race formats to each other, you cannot meaningfully compare the spread of averages.