British Speedway Forum
Odds On

Sitingbourne To Go Elite?

This rumour is bubbling in the greyhound world and would be great if true, anybody else heard anything?

mugs if they do

although EL will be desperate for numbers next year

It's a big leap for a still new venture. Is the fan base there to make it viable?.

It's a big leap for a still new venture. Is the fan base there to make it viable?.

the thing is new ventures always have big crowds then they tend to tail off so its a big risk

Personally I hope they don't. I much prefer NL & PL racing week in week out. Plus purely financial I would not attend every week with the almost certain 50% price increase for EL racing.

Personally I hope they don't. I much prefer NL & PL racing week in week out. Plus purely financial I would not attend every week with the almost certain 50% price increase for EL racing

Would you for the 50% increase for PL racing?

This was my facebook status last week. Seems appropriate here.

I don't get sports fans who say they'd prefer their team in a league other than the top league for some spurious reason. Normally because it's "win at all cost" or "all about the money" which makes me laugh even more as those are two opposing things. Where your ambition you muppets?!

I don't get sports fans who say they'd prefer their team in a league other than the top league for some spurious reason. Normally because it's "win at all cost" or "all about the money" which makes me laugh even more as those are two opposing things. Where your ambition you muppets?!

I would generally agree with that sentiment, SCB - but I think the EL has seriously lost its way at the moment. Although the very best riders competing in the UK ride here exclusively in the EL, I don't think the EL has the best overall package and race format. It should have and it should be what clubs in lower leagues aspire to. I think the Swedes and the Poles have got better league set-ups than we have in the UK and that would fit fit clubs and fans being able to feel aspirational for the right reasons, so I can understand the misgivings that Sittingbourne supporters may have.

Would you for the 50% increase for PL racing?

Depending on the quality / competitiveness of the league but probably yes.

For me its more about entertainment than ambition. I personally feel the NL is far closer / unpredictable than the others however.......these are just my views and I fully understand they are not shared by all.

I think there are big differences in speedway as compared to football for example.

Firstly If the standard of the riders in any one race is similar (and at almost any level in British speedway) you can see a quality race. Certainly the racing yesterday at the showground surpassed anything I think I have ever seen at GP level.

Secondly the finance in the sport does not follow the league you are in to the extent that it does in football.

Thirdly there is a large tendency for some fans to follow the fortunes of a rider almost as much and sometimes more than following a specific team.

Finance is the major issue though.

• Like 1

I get how to the people running the club the books have to be balanced, it's a business as well as a sport. That's fine, thats sensible and it's the right way to go, the last thing we need is clubs plunged into a financial mess because of some ego-maniac wanting to compete at the highest level (be it speedway, or a Leed United in football). But surely if the books are balanced and those running the team can afford it, the fans should want to see their team competing at the highest level?

Are you really telling me is Kent announced tomorrow they were signing Mark Loram that the people of Kent would go, "nah, don't want to see him. He's too good"? People want to see the best, people want to be the best, surely? Or just what is the point.

I should point out as well the "muppet" part of my post was aimed at a few people specifically on the TV - it's not really relevant on here so hopefully nobody has taken offence to it!

I have never watched NL speedway so I can't comment on it's attractiveness, but I agree that Entertainment is the name of the game. If Kent are providing entertaining speedway at the moment a step up could be risky.

Yes...EL have better and faster riders but some of the EL meetings I have seen on tv have been far from entertaining.

Is not the logical progression if Kent want to move out of the NL a move to PL, assuming we don't get a PL/EL amalgamation which I feel the sport badly needs.

This rumour is bubbling in the greyhound world and would be great if true, anybody else heard anything?

They will regret it if they do.

• Like 1

I was there yesterday and there was an excellent crowd for NL racing. Would the attendances improve enough to support EL, I'm not sure. The main stumbling block would be obtaining full planning permission when it's up for review at the end of next season.