British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Rob B

Lakeside V Belle Vue Select 29/5

And here we go with the EL snobbery yet again... Get yer head's out of your own backsides and accept the fact that Cook is an Edinburgh asset just as Grajczonek is a Somerset asset... Cookie is contracted firstly to Edinburgh. Edinburgh race on Friday nights, always have done. Why not move the Lakeside fixture with Belle Vue to their alternative race night?.

Except that Grajczonek is a Poole asset!

• Like 1

If I had a £1 for every time I've said this:

Elite League meetings should all be raced on Monday nights. PL and NL meetings are not allowed to be raced on that day to stop clashes and allow British riders to double up.

Two home meetings a month will help keep costs down for supporters, one race night may attract better riders back to the EL as well which makes promotion easier.

If clubs can't commit to Monday night racing then they need to join the PL or NL, I doubt any would though as they can all run on a monday when Sky come calling.

How can the costs be kept down with two meetings a month. Do you think the landlord is going to half the rent. I would think EL racing on a Monday night there would be less star riders than there are now with poland on Sunday and Sweden on Tuesday. Besides Monday night is the worst night of the week to promote speedway.

How can the costs be kept down with two meetings a month. Do you think the landlord is going to half the rent. I would think EL racing on a Monday night there would be less star riders than there are now with poland on Sunday and Sweden on Tuesday. Besides Monday night is the worst night of the week to promote speedway.

With only 14 league matches, that's all we get now over a season!

For their August 11 2001 visit to Eastbourne, Belle Vue had only one regular contracted rider in their line up - Tomasz Jedrzejak. New face in the side, recently signed Tomas Topinka joined him, as Aces were annihilated 64-26.

The patched up Manchester side was missing Kaj Laukkanen and Jason Lyons because of the Inter-Continental Final; Peter Karlsson and Jimmy Nilsen were injured; and Matej Ferjan was riding in the Slovenian Championship.

Shaun Tacey, Leigh Lanham, Craig Watson and Simon Stead came in as guests, Stead fuelling Belle Vue problems further by picking up injury in only his second ride, forcing his withdrawal.

It was certainly a bleak day and a poor advert for the sport… especially as the match was being filmed live on SKY TV.

Cheers for the info, thought I might have missed some details in the midst of time!!

A mate of mine told me today it was a Berwick match the Aces missed due to the end of season get together...(?)

Just blatantly refused to go as their 'pee up' was I believe the night before so JP felt that they would run the risk of riding whilst still 'under the influence'...

And we wouldn't want anyone to do that would we??

• Like 1

If the stadium is only being raced two nights a month rather than four then why shouldn't they? Or how about this novel idea, one that will keep weekly speedway at each stadium, each EL side enters an NL side that races their home meetings during the weeks that the senior side is away. Also helps teams develop their own riders, everyone is a winner.

Of course not, they fly over for Monday nights when sky is in town and two of our EL sides race on a Monday every week anyway.

Why is Monday the worst night?

• Like 1

4.45pm Weather Check:

At the track where it's dry, road top pits which I can see from here is dry- Meeting ON

If the stadium is only being raced two nights a month rather than four then why shouldn't they? Or how about this novel idea, one that will keep weekly speedway at each stadium, each EL side enters an NL side that races their home meetings during the weeks that the senior side is away. Also helps teams develop their own riders, everyone is a winner.

Of course not, they fly over for Monday nights when sky is in town and two of our EL sides race on a Monday every week anyway.

Why is Monday the worst night?

Why don't you ask Belle Vue. When then move into their own stadium their race night will certainly not be a Monday. Years ago they always raced on a Saturday night but they only race on a Monday as that is the night the greyhound people will give them. For All entertainment Monday is a bad night whether Cinema , Theatre or any Sports presentation. How many football teams ever play on a Monday night unless it is Televised.. Was there ever a boxing tournament put on on a Monday night or a darts competition.

• Like 1

Cheers for the info, thought I might have missed some details in the midst of time!!

A mate of mine told me today it was a Berwick match the Aces missed due to the end of season get together...(?)

Just blatantly refused to go as their 'pee up' was I believe the night before so JP felt that they would run the risk of riding whilst still 'under the influence'...

And we wouldn't want anyone to do that would we??

BELLE VUE were fined £1,000 by a Speedway Control Board tribunal in December 1991, for refusing to fulfil their end of season trip to Berwick. The match was rearranged to take place the afternoon following Belle Vue’s end of season dinner-dance - but Aces’ promoter John Perrin advised his riders not to travel.

Perrin argued that he had not agreed to the date, stating the dinner-dance was one time in the season riders could let their hair down.

Berwick riders rode unopposed to successive 5-0s for a 60-0 victory.

The match was postponed earlier in the year, Berwick claiming because of a waterlogged track. But the postponement angered Perrin after eyewitnesses informed him that the circuit was ‘bone-dry’ on the day.

Perrin, irate by the fine, immediately put the club up for sale - but he was still in charge when the 1992 season came around, eventually selling in 2004.

Why don't you ask Belle Vue. When then move into their own stadium their race night will certainly not be a Monday. Years ago they always raced on a Saturday night but they only race on a Monday as that is the night the greyhound people will give them. For All entertainment Monday is a bad night whether Cinema , Theatre or any Sports presentation. How many football teams ever play on a Monday night unless it is Televised.. Was there ever a boxing tournament put on on a Monday night or a darts competition.

You've not actually given an answer though have you?

What makes monday any worse than Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday? Friday and Saturday night there are lots of other things that compete with Speedway, other sports as you've mentioned for one, other forms of entertainment for two and a big one for people in the age bracket that Speedway should be appealing to go out drinking at the weekends.

If you promote Speedway well people will come whatever day of the week it is run.

Both Belle Vue and Wolves have reported that they have been told when trying to sign riders that Monday is a problem because of the effects of having to travel from Poland on a Monday then get an early flight to Sweden on a Tuesday.

Belle Vue are going to move to Friday with Wednesday as an alternative on GP weekends. People are more inclined to spend at a weekend and to be less concerned about a late night for children.

6.30pm Final Raceday Weather Check:

Bright and sunny, track's fine and meeting ON! Don't forget the young 'uns take to the track at 7.30!

Surely this is a match the Aces should be targeting for all 4 points if they have serious ambitions of the top 4 thus season

• Like 1

Anyone going to use that new fangled thingy internet and let us know what Jon Cook wrote with his quill pen in the programme.

Or did everyone buying a programme tonight have to sign an oath of silence in blood.

We actually got an away win. Yipeeeee

Well in team select

• Like 1