British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
2ndbendbeerhut

Ipswich V Redcar 30th May

After a couple of poor meetings and poor performances this was excellent. We've been whinging about the track, but tonight it was spot on, not many tracks you can pass from heat 1 - heat 15. Love the way Gino can get so much out of the inside line, even in the last race when the dirt had moved out.

I'd love to know what the score would have been if the race stopped at the first bend, very close I'd imagine. So great entertainment for the fans with so much passing. But I suppose a cynic might worry about our gating against a stronger team, but sod that, let's just enjoy the fact we actually got £16 worth tonight, and not many Speedway fans around the Country can often say that.

• Like 2

If only we had meetings like that on Bank holidays when the crowds the biggest. good Win, Very entertaining, but Redcar have a truly awful team that we should be beating like that. let's wait and see how we perform against some top opposition.

Good to see Ritchie slow down before the line to let Gino win the race to help his average. If more Sheffield riders did this for Ty Proctor he would still be in the team and not back home in Aus. Just need Danny to do it or move Gino to 3 or 4.

Thought tonight's meeting was good with plenty of passing even from 15m back!! Good confidence builder and lets hope they can keep this up.

• Like 4

Just looked at the speedway updates, wondered why there was an 'anti' Tungate slant to them. Then saw that the texter was that idiot Baldyman!

I suppose after a great win tonight against a woeful Redcar side R/R will remain at 4! I can't help thinking that we have missed badly Gino when he was injured and when he's on it the team do well. Why the reference to Proctor, moving away from Danny and his average?

Anyone know why Phil Hilton was replaced by Brian Messenger as team manager yesterday?

I am sure it was announced he was at his daughters wedding.

Having had a moan yesterday, credit to whoever prepared the track last night, it offered good entertainment last night, much tougher opposition to come, but promising to see Gino and Ritchie amongst the points, congratulations to Stefan for making it to the Under 21 finals (though it would have been good for his confidence if he had been there last night). The team looked much better with Brian Messenger in charge rather than our rookie manager, pity we can't persuade him to return for the rest of the season. Hope Lasse was not too badly injured, he would be a big miss for his two PL clubs (redcar and his permanent guest role at peterboro).

Ahh thanks iandean.

I wasn't there last night but it sounds like the track was very well prepared so yes credit where it's due!

The track prep has justifiably come in for flack this season as frankly it's been poor.

So only fair to add some balance and credit the track team when they get it right.

Sounds like I missed a good entertaining meeting too! Oh well serves me rights for deciding against going when I could easily have done so..

What was the crowd level like?

Edited by Hong Kong Phooey

I thought the crowd level was decent although not like a 'bumper' bank holiday one.

The stands looked about a quarter full so thats a thousand or so and with a few hundred standing.

Id say any PL club would love that every week.

An excellent meeting tonight with some top drawer racing.

Track was perfect tonight IMO.

Shame that only Danny ended up with a max.

Shame also that now we have to wait til June 11th for the next home match.[/quote ]your lucky us Berwick fans have to wait until June 20th a month without a home meeting.

Having had a moan yesterday, credit to whoever prepared the track last night, it offered good entertainment last night, much tougher opposition to come, but promising to see Gino and Ritchie amongst the points, congratulations to Stefan for making it to the Under 21 finals (though it would have been good for his confidence if he had been there last night). The team looked much better with Brian Messenger in charge rather than our rookie manager, pity we can't persuade him to return for the rest of the season. Hope Lasse was not too badly injured, he would be a big miss for his two PL clubs (redcar and his permanent guest role at peterboro).

He'll always be 'a rookie manager' unless you give him some experience. Messenger would have been a rookie at some time.

Hope all you Ipswich fans make the most of those easy points, would be sad to see you lose them because Redcar close before the end of the season. Worst team at Redcar since it opened in 2006, coupled with very poor home gates and no prospect of it getting any better while Havelock and co are trying to run the show.

Its not the taking over at Redcar thats the problem. Its the current ownership that refuse to let anybody else in, there have been offers made but they just want their money and wont allow anyone else to take over, they offer team sponsorship packages but no other involvement. Ged Rathbone a perfect example, when he tried to buy in he was offered the team sponsor but no role on the board and look what has happened to Peterboro since he went there. The current team sponsor ECCO Finishings has tried for over 2 seasons to get on the board, all to no avail.