British Speedway Forum
OldBulldog

Speedway Star - Sgp Coverage

Disappointed to find that this season the additional pages following each SGP are no longer there. Seems much more low key coverage of the SGP this year. No trackside gossip or additional features, just a few comments from the riders. Really hope its not like that all season.

Don't buy the Star every week but always do have following each SGP due to the previous excellent analysis.

Any comments from Phillip ?

Maybe it's the evolution of the magazine they change things about some people like it some people don't

But stagnation gets you nowhere

Does Bert Harkins attend as many GPs , I don't know but I liked his reports.

Perhaps one of the many constant moaners some of whom i agree with. on the forum. could attend all the GPs and send their own report in for publication.

Moan about the speedway star by all means but one day many will mourn the passing of the final issue

We're in football terms a Conference(National) North/South sport at the very best. but we have a Premier League weekly magazine about our sport

Edited by Triple.H.
  • Like 2

We will still provide additional pages throughout the season, notable pre and post Cardiff. The number of pages given over to GPs will vary and the Trackside column will definitely resume.

Possibly varying according to how crap a particular GP was. Doesn't pay to have too many rider interviews where they're all slating the organisation, eh...?

• Like 1

WHEN we first started adding an additional 16 pages to Speedway Star after each GP there were .... less GPs than today, higher weekly sales and lower production, printing and transport costs. All these have changed fundamentally.

When looking at our 2015 budget we were faced with two stark choices. Either reduce the number of times we added 16 pages post GP or scrap our pre-season bumper edition which is a very costly exercise. We decided on the former and are confident that most of our readers would agree.

We will still provide additional pages throughout the season, notable pre and post Cardiff. The number of pages given over to GPs will vary and the Trackside column will definitely resume.

We have never shirked from admitting that the speedway magazine market is shrinking and that we must cut of cloth accordingly. But we will strive and endeavour to maintain what we consider to be a high class, value for money, magazine while accepting that we cannot please all of the people all of the time.

All very understandable when cutting costs for printing and transportation.

But for those of us who are paying the same price for the electronic version online, without such costs, not quite so...

If more features are to be offloaded into the Speedway Star Extra to reduce the printing costs.

Would it not be possible to include these features in our exact editions online version.

Seems a bit daft to have to use a completely different platform via a different website just to read what Bert has to say.

PS

Not for me to tell you your job, but ...

Might not be a bad strategy to offer more, truly extra, features in the online version to stimulate a greater uptake.

Surely the magazine, in the long run at least, will have greater viability the more people you get to subscribe to the twenty-first century version?

Edited by Grand Central

Possibly varying according to how crap a particular GP was. Doesn't pay to have too many rider interviews where they're all slating the organisation, eh...?

A bit cynical that Humphrey. Philip is trying to communicate an answer to a question he was asked. He has given, what seems to me, a very logical and fair assessment of where his Magazine is standing on Costs, Circulation etc.

He should be given credit for that.

You know me - I am VERY anti the GPs - but - I do also believe in fairness.

• Like 2

A bit cynical that Humphrey. Philip is trying to communicate an answer to a question he was asked. He has given, what seems to me, a very logical and fair assessment of where his Magazine is standing on Costs, Circulation etc.

He should be given credit for that.

You know me - I am VERY anti the GPs - but - I do also believe in fairness.

Unfortunately HA only does cynicism, and plays devils advocate these days. Adds very little.

• Like 1

PS

Not for me to tell you your job, but ...

Might not be a bad strategy to offer more, truly extra, features in the online version to stimulate a greater uptake.

Surely the magazine, in the long run at least, will have greater viability the more people you get to subscribe to the twenty-first century version?

UNDER consideration but currently only about 1.5% of sales are for online edition. That may strengthen your argument or could alienate the overwhelming majority who still prefer the paper edition.

UNDER consideration but currently only about 1.5% of sales are for online edition. That may strengthen your argument or could alienate the overwhelming majority who still prefer the paper edition.

I will always prefer the paper edition, doesn't need charging up ! can read it at timing points on bus :) ! I am very much old school when it comes to reading magazines and books ! I have the option to subscribe online but i just prefer to have paper edition.

It is a good magazine and i think coverage of GP's is more than enough !

• Like 1

Goodness, that is a very low proportion.

Personally, I cannot recommend the iPad version high enough !

Any chance of incorporating the features being pushed onto 'SpeedwayStar Xtra' into the exact editions platform, though?

Just for us?

I understand the dilemma, though.

Speedway has such a 'dyed-in-the-wool' demographic.

It hinders progress on just about every front.

WHEN we first started adding an additional 16 pages to Speedway Star after each GP there were .... less GPs than today, higher weekly sales and lower production, printing and transport costs. All these have changed fundamentally.

When looking at our 2015 budget we were faced with two stark choices. Either reduce the number of times we added 16 pages post GP or scrap our pre-season bumper edition which is a very costly exercise. We decided on the former and are confident that most of our readers would agree.

We have never shirked from admitting that the speedway magazine market is shrinking and that we must cut of cloth accordingly. But we will strive and endeavour to maintain what we consider to be a high class, value for money, magazine while accepting that we cannot please all of the people all of the time.

Many thanks for the clarification - I assumed it was probably due to cost. Response is much appreciated however.

• Like 1

Yes, but is that 1.5% new business or just people switching from the paper version? I subscribe to the electronic version, but wouldn't bother with the paper version.

Unfortunately HA only does cynicism, and plays devils advocate these days. Adds very little.

Call it what you will, but some of us simply don't subscribe to the view that BSI and SGP is great for the sport - something that has become increasingly obvious this season. A journal-of-record should be reporting objectively on these matters, not reporting nonsense and blaming social media because they happen to have a business relationship with the organisers.

I would say there's recently been more critical comment of the SGP in the pages of the Spar than is traditional, but still largely as reported opinion rather than any editorial stance.

Edited by Humphrey Appleby
  • Like 1

Call it what you will, but some of us simply don't subscribe to the view that BSI and SGP is great for the sport - something that has become increasingly obvious this season. A journal-of-record should be reporting objectively on these matters, not reporting nonsense and blaming social media because they happen to have a business relationship with the organisers.

I would say there's recently been more critical comment of the SGP in the pages of the Spar than is traditional, but still largely as reported opinion rather than any editorial stance.

I could never be accused of that Humphrey.

I certainly agree with you about that.

Cant do the sport much good either if it's said to be sheit week in week out.