British Speedway Forum
kingbee

Coventry V Poole 1/6/15

How can a rider get fined for not riding in a race due to the fact that he thinks it's dangerous only for the meeting to be cancelled before the next race due to dangerous conditions?

This is a very, very valid point!

How can a rider get fined for not riding in a race due to the fact that he thinks it's dangerous only for the meeting to be cancelled before the next race due to dangerous conditions?

That's a good point. The track got worse each race and they were right to not come out in heat 10 as Holder & Watt proved when they almost crashed when just two of them going through the motions.

So do you think the was dangerous from the start? If it was no one told Chris holder the way he passed Hans in heat 1 was Chris of old good to see him back riding like that?

To of avoided a fine the Coventry riders just needed to appear at the start & let the Pirates pair get away & follow on without actually trying. Not so easy as a racer tho.

I remember Hans charging around Poole once trying to get a meeting on with a wet track, can't remember who it was against when others wanted it off.

• Like 1

Presumably because it was o.k. for heat 10 but not for heat 11 !! Massive deterioration in a short period of time?

But Im thankfull Joonus and Chris didn't ride as Holder could have caused carnage !

Edited by mitch
  • Like 1

The track was dangerous from the start.

Not so, nothing wrong with the track in heat 1.

• Like 1

I may be on my own here but I don't think the track was dangerous in Ht 10. Holder lifted on the same patch that Andersen hit earlier in the meeting, after that he and Watt actually raced much harder than they needed to given there was no opposition. A really dangerous track is one which is very patchy - this was the same nearly all over so you know what to exepct when going into the bend and I've seen plenty of meetings continue in those conditions. The issue is really the Ht 10 cut-off. As has been said, the actions of the meeting steward were diabolical - we could all hear him respond in the affirmative when asked if he'd inspect the track before Ht10, which he didn't do. Also what role did they ref have here - surely they're in charge?

If Ht10 went ahead then an attempt to run 11 to 15 should have been made. It's happened before when Swindon got the meeting called at Ht 10 against Belle Vue when conditions were not worsening because they were concerned they'd lose if it went the whole way - and who remembers the Belle Vue - Poole swimming festival a few years ago. In the end, I think the score was right because Poole had done better up to that point but I don't think the result should count until it's impossible for one team to be overtaken.

Edited by SPEEDY69

Wasn't the meeting officially cancelled because Coventry refused to ride, and not because of the weather?

Nothing stopping Poole riders carrying on then and earning some easy money.

It was strange how Pearson was silent about running 10 heats last night,he usually never stops repeating it in normal wet meetings!!!

Think he knew something!!

I was thinking that while watching last night, almost posted a comment on it but didn't want to seem petty, he always rants on about ht10 when meetings are run in inclement weather conditions.

I think Chris Louis was the first to mention it last night, that's how much Pearson & Tatum were avoiding the subject.

Poor show from Coventry and it looked bad on TV. Personally I was very disappointed when Bomber wouldn't ride, so much for his positivity!

Either you are fishing or you are blind, it was clear he was under orders not to go out for ht10.

Perhaps if only 10 heats are completed, you get 2 not 3 points.

OK guys and gals this has been debated to death, with the usual predictable rubbish interspersed with some sensible and constructive comments.

To get back to what speedway there was, Havvy, and we could all clearly see that it was his decision, refused to let his riders take to the track in heat 10.

Two riders that were unbeaten by an opponent.

Had they taken to the track and scored a 5-1 they would have denied Poole a point.

Things like that have a habit of coming back to bite you in the b*m at the end of the season.

Just making a point (no pun intended).

Wasn't the meeting officially cancelled because Coventry refused to ride, and not because of the weather?

Because track was deemed dangerous

@kylmakorpi: I got a fine from refusing to ride in heat 10 as I thought it was unsafe and the meeting got called off due to unsafe track after heat 10???

Not only was the track a problem, but it also seemed it was causing problems with the bikes. With the rain being driven by the wind. I have no doubt that the problems with Danny Kings bike was ingress of rain into the points.Why they have points still and not electric ignition these days beats me.

As for point settings this can be easily achived, with electronic advance retard, rather than taking the cover off on rainy nights like last night, to end up with water on the points. This is the 21st centuary I think, so we should be using modern technoligy. Instead using an out dated point set up that wnt out, with the demise of the British motor cycle industry. I remember the days sat by my old 650cc A.J.S and B.S.A getting the point set up just right, without all the cough's splutters and bangs.

They don't have points not had any since the days of the weslake
  • Like 1