British Speedway Forum
kingbee

Coventry V Poole 1/6/15

"£10,000 isn't that much money"..............really?

And irrespective of whether it was £10K or possibly more, just in case you didn't realise, business is about making a profit - not recouping bloody losses and breaking even!

Seriously, what planet do you live on?

The same planet as the other trolls.... One person planet. But you reply to it, more fool you :)

Wow Arya, what do you do for a living for you to think £10,000 isn't a lot of money as to most of us is a huge amount.

Not sure where you got that they would have made that kind of money either when there was only around 100 people at the most and some could have been season ticket holders or young fans that don't pay to get in. Then you have to take out the cost of stadium, points etc (how do you know how much that adds up to?)

I don't think it's the voice of reason that needs to apply some common sense.

As for teams moaning about money lost, wasn't it your team that called off a meeting when they had only Shamak missing as they said it would affect the crowd and cause financial loss 😉

Edited by mdmc82
  • Like 2

Wow Arya, what do you do for a living for you to think £10,000 isn't a lot of money as to most of us is a huge amount.

Not sure where you got that they would have made that kind of money either when there was only around 100 people at the most and some could have been season ticket holders or young fans that don't pay to get in. Then you have to take out the cost of stadium, points etc (how do you know how much that adds up to?)

I don't think it's the voice of reason that needs to apply some common sense.

As for teams moaning about money lost, wasn't it your team that called off a meeting when they had only Shamak missing as they said it would affect the crowd and cause financial loss 😉

Coventry could have called it off too but they would have lost the sky money so they didnt want to and made every effort to get the meeting on.If they had won would they be wanting it re-staged? They knew the turnout would be low, they could have reduced the price but chose not to.
  • Like 1

Key point for me is would there be less protestation had Coventry won?

£10,000 isn't that much money. And if they get through the finals, which they will, then they will make that up and more in Sky money alone. God some of you talk some nonsense.

Let's be realistic here for a second. Coventry had to pay their stadium rent for the night, appearance fees and points money for their riders (bearing in mind they were only paying 22 points). Now say there was around 100 - 200 people attending, thats anywhere between £2000 - £4000 when you factor in programme sales. On top of that they would have recieved their appearance money from Sky. Now do you really think they lost more than £10,000 that night? I doubt it was even that much.

Sure, a loss isn't good in any circumstances, but the reaction from Coventry has been nothing short of embarrassing. Do you think you're the only club to have recieved the short straw with Sky? No, only every other club didn't whinge and moan and start demanding rematches. If Coventry make it through the semi and grand finals, which they will do, the attendances generated from the publicity of this spat and the payments from Sky, will cover the £10,000 they lost that night and a hell of a lot more.

So why don't you ask yourself what planet you're on and apply a little common sense. :t:

Well I for one Coventry fan as I've stated before on here do not think in any way the meeting should be re-run, no way whatsoever. It was the same for both teams. However £10000 IS a lot of money..!! and the loss should not be belittled by anyone. I personally would say that figure is a good deal higher than £10000 with all the expenses of track staff having to be paid along with riders wages etc and utility bills. The listing of meetings where other clubs have lost out due to this does NOT make it fair it just makes it so much worse and about time clubs stood as one to prevent it in the future, after all its the clubs sport to sell on their terms to sky instead of petty bickering over who won and lost and stupid re-runs which should not happen as it leaves meetings open to even more rule bending by all clubs. My god theres enough of that going on already.

About time we dispensed with Sky I'm afraid, the opportunity was there in the noughties to push our sport on to the next level but the people in charge as usual made a dog's breakfast out of it. I know clubs will lose income but I believe we need to get back to basics even if that means the few remaining big names being lost. This whole heat 10 business and the need for Sky to to show meetings whatever the weather in front of abysmal crowds needs to end. Time for regular fixtures with far fewer guests.

Speedway had a great chance to set down some proper foundations in 1999 when Sky got involved with the Elite League. Sadly, the incompetence of the BSPA has led to this chance being frittered away and money which should have been invested into bringing the sport into the 21st century has instead gone into propping up the outdated model we now have.

Now speedway has become so dependent on this money they cannot afford to lose the contract, as very few other broadcasters would touch it with a bargepole. Its savage indictment of the way the sport has been run in the UK, and more and more people are turning their backs in their droves.

• Like 4

Okay Arya, lets take it point by point.

1. £10,000 isn't that much money.

- So you've said. However, without knowing the financial situation of the Coventry Promoter, how can you make such a judgement?

2. And if they get through the finals, which they will, then they will make that up and more in Sky money alone.

- You've completely missed my point. This isn't about what they will make in the play-offs, its about what they lost out on financially last Monday. It's not about recovering a loss, it's about their expectation to make a profit on potentially their biggest gate of the season; coupled with additional monies accrued via the play-offs. Surely you can see that?

3. God some of you talk some nonsense.

- Pot/Kettle.

4. Let's be realistic here for a second (Edit: sorry but I had to laugh at that comment). Coventry had to pay their stadium rent for the night, appearance fees and points money for their riders (bearing in mind they were only paying 22 points).

- Ahhhh, I can feel some UNrealistic guesstimates coming on........so Coventry only had to pay 'appearance fees' and 'points money' for THEIR riders did they? Errrrrrrm, rrrrrrrriiiiight. Okay. If you say so (shakes head, hand on forehead).

4. (Continued) Now say there was around 100 - 200 people attending, thats anywhere between £2000 - £4000 when you factor in programme sales. On top of that they would have recieved their appearance money from Sky. Now do you really think they lost more than £10,000 that night? I doubt it was even that much.

- So, in order to form a balanced judgement, maybe you could enlighten us with the costs for their stadium rent; riders wages for the night; staff costs; utilities, etc. Because, let's be totally honest here Arya, unless you know what these costs are, then your argument is based purely upon supposition and rhetoric - and subsequently completely and utterly flawed. You don't even know how many people were in attendance to support your own case; nor what percentage were cash-paying customers! So, let's (as you suggest) also factor in 'programme sales' - what do these cost to print? What's the profit margin? I know the exact answer to that one actually; but maybe you'd care to enlighten us?

5. Sure, a loss isn't good in any circumstances, but the reaction from Coventry has been nothing short of embarrassing. Do you think you're the only club to have recieved the short straw with Sky?

- Coventry aren't my club. I support Lakeside. Next.

6. No, only every other club didn't whinge and moan and start demanding rematches.

- Personally, I have not mentioned the re-match aspect of Mr. Horton's statement. Suffice to say I think it's a totally unrealistic request and unfair on Poole.

7. If Coventry make it through the semi and grand finals, which they will do, the attendances generated from the publicity of this spat and the payments from Sky, will cover the £10,000 they lost that night and a hell of a lot more.

- Where is the additional attendance going to appear from exactly; or is this yet another statement that you cannot substantiate with anything other than guesswork? SKY will cover their £10k loss will they? Really? Mr. Horton will be delighted. 'And a hell of a lot more' eh? How much exactly? What will the attendances be?

8. So why don't you ask yourself what planet you're on and apply a little common sense.

- I try and base my arguments upon hard evidence and facts - instead of fanciful, ill-informed (and incorrect) information and rhetoric. That to my way of thinking IS INDEED applying common sense.

Edited by The Voice Of Reason
  • Like 3

Responding in bold font is not anywhere near as meaningful as getting your facts correct at the outset.

However, many thanks for responding. It simply reiterates my point that you are actually quite clueless as to the extent of Coventry Speedways losses from that night; coupled with a lack of any knowledge around many other aspects of the sport - e.g. who's responsible for paying riders' point money; costs of other overheads (such as programmes, etc.).

You say that you are familiar with running a business. For the sake of that business, I assume, and hope, that you aren't their accountant.

• Like 7

Horton would have budgeted for the season and would expect decent cash flow coming in for a Poole match. That didn't happen. So more than likely we will be running at a loss for the season unless a big crowd we usually get for Poole turns up for another fixture (doubtful).

• Like 1

Horton would have budgeted for the season and would expect decent cash flow coming in for a Poole match. That didn't happen. So more than likely we will be running at a loss for the season unless a big crowd we usually get for Poole turns up for another fixture (doubtful).

From what i understand Coventry usually have big crowds compared to many other teams so shouldn't be difficult to get it back especially considering you will be in the play offs when it will be packed as long as it doesn't rain!

Responding in bold font is not anywhere near as meaningful as getting your facts correct at the outset.

However, many thanks for responding. It simply reiterates my point that you are actually quite clueless as to the extent of Coventry Speedways losses from that night; coupled with a lack of any knowledge around many other aspects of the sport - e.g. who's responsible for paying riders' point money; costs of other overheads (such as programmes, etc.).

You say that you are familiar with running a business. For the sake of that business, I assume, and hope, that you aren't their accountant.

I think he only responded in bold font to differentiate between your remarks and his answers but you just carry on making cheap points when you most likely also know nothing of Coventry's costs either.

I

• Like 1

I'm amazed that Coventrys losses can be dismissed due to the fact they will likely make the play offs. So if this happens again to a non play off team, what then? Best to discuss it now and hopefully stop this kind of thing happening again,again.

• Like 2

Surely, the point is simple. If Coventry make the play offs then they would have made it without this debacle. If at the end of the season they would have made a profit of £X thousand, with the loss from this match it will be £X thousand minus that loss.

However you look at it that loss will not be made up.

• Like 1

Would imagine programmes dont make hardly any profit at the average meeting, apart from the advertising. The other point that is being missed is that there was nobody in the stadium to buy them !

• Like 2

You might get that big crowd for Lakeside (hopefully), if you have to ride them after the 28th June :t::wink:

Would imagine programmes dont make hardly any profit at the average meeting, apart from the advertising. The other point that is being missed is that there was nobody in the stadium to buy them !

Its the only meeting at Coventry that i have been to that they haven't sold out!! usually its a re printed insert that cost 50p and thats a rip off at that price. Still not as bad as the SWC at 5.00 per programme.