British Speedway Forum
kingbee

Coventry V Poole 1/6/15

I think if those in charge of keeping this meeting going tonight had a career ending injury like Havelock, they wouldn't be so keen to send riders out in such dangerous conditions!

It's sad as this is usually one of the best meetings of the season but you can't even call that a meeting. There are no real winners tonight.

Yes Poole have 4pts on the board but it was a bit of a hollow victory. Horton loses out on income as lowest crowd yet and those who did go paid to see riders go through the motions. Terrible advert for sky.

The fact that riders from the same team nearly came to grief when on their own and that the times were slower than NL says it all.

If it's now deemed safe to race in torrential rain and gale force wins then I would expect no more rain offs in future

Ask yourself the question, had Sky not been there would the meeting had gone ahead ?

• Like 1

Harris clearly wanted to carry on

Bomber will ride, no matter what state the track is in.. I would put money on him being told to refuse to ride.

I agree with the posts by Pirate Nick, HalifaxTiger and GRW..

I'm lost for words in honesty. If Id have still been local I'd have been there tonight, Sky or not.

I'm sad and angry in equal measures, Just when you think it couldn't get any worse!

Well done Poole on your points. This is one meeting ( if you can call it that) I'm happy to forget.

• Like 2

To be honest I haven't seen the meeting so I've no idea who was at fault in this instance.....but it did make me smile when I checked the result before coming on here and saw it abandoned .......after 10 heats !.........what a farce.......why is it always deemed un rideable after 10 heats........why is it never un rideable after 8 or 9 .....they surely don't always have to splash on to heat 10 and an independent decision with backbone should be made and not just listen to the losers wanting it off and the leaders wanting a couple more races which always seems to happen...

Last thing though, having seen Havvy in close quarters as a rider for a few years I admire him as a rider totally but I was surprised he became a manager and I'm yet to be convinced that he's that cut out for it to be fair.

Very poor advert fo the sport. Laughable that one side go out to race becuase they are winning when the other team manager or riders refuse to race because there team are losing.

If all 15 or even 14 heats had to be run before a result could be announced we wouldn't have managers playing russian roulette with safety.

The decision would be based only on safety and not because one team are leading after 8 or 9 heats.

• Like 1

Haha that is the most dramatic anti Poole post yet!!!! Blaming the crowd on them!!!! Got a feeling the bad weather and the combo of full price and it being shown on sky might be the main reasons! But if you really believe that then fair play!

The fact is bud is that bw is right! Poole = cancer of speedway!

Ask yourself the question, had Sky not been there would the meeting had gone ahead ?

Honest answer, it would have been off before it started. This isn't Poole's or Coventry's fault. It's the fault of those in charge.

When we got there at 7.10pm, the rain was falling and I couldn't even keep up my hood because of the wind. To start with we thought it was off as the stands were empty and they were still working on the track due to the rain getting heavier.

The camera near the start gate blew over in the wind and they had to put wood on the stand to keep it down. The protective covering blew off the greyhound track and you could feel the rain coming in at you in the stands. At that point a lot of us in the stands thought there was no chance of it being on in these conditions and thought we were getting ready for a rain off.

Was shocked when it went ahead.

There was no atmosphere as no racing, just going through the motions, the wind kept blowing the tapes making it harder for the riders and you found yourself just hoping nobody got injured from either team.

A lot of people started leaving after heat 6

Honest answer, it would have been off before it started. This isn't Poole's or Coventry's fault. It's the fault of those in charge.

When we got there at 7.10pm, the rain was falling and I couldn't even keep up my hood because of the wind. To start with we thought it was off as the stands were empty and they were still working on the track due to the rain getting heavier.

The camera near the start gate blew over in the wind and they had to put wood on the stand to keep it down. The protective covering blew off the greyhound track and you could feel the rain coming in at you in the stands. At that point a lot of us in the stands thought there was no chance of it being on in these conditions and thought we were getting ready for a rain off.

There was no atmosphere as no racing, just going through the motions, the wind kept blowing the tapes making it harder for the riders and you found yourself just hoping nobody got injured from either team.

There you go. You answered my question inpartially. Thank you.

• Like 1

I wonder what Gemini thinks about them getting to heat 10 and calling it off.

Just when you think it couldn't get any worse!

That's the irony of it.

Last week we had a terrific meeting in front of a big crowd.

We all might just have been a little (just a little, mind) more optimistic.

Then we get this.

• Like 1

The fact is bud is that bw is right! Poole = cancer of speedway!

Of course mate, 22 Trophies in the last 15 years. we keep getting lucky i guess ;)

• Like 1

Good post and after watching that farce 100% correct.

• Like 1

If they had listened to me I said before the meeting even got under way that it was very windy here in south derbysgire with the rain poring down. They sarted the meeting and after heat 1 the rain started the track looked rubbish to start with. The start line like a ploughed field. if they managed to get a start with spinning wheels, they found that there was no grip, on the track. How any rider didn't get seriously hurt tonight is a wonder. The meeting should have been cancelled after about heat 7 or 8. I feel sorry for the fans that even bothered to turn up. The camearas tried their best not to show the crowds, that must have all of 150 of them.

The Coventry mangement must be well out of pocket tonight. To have this meeting on TV which must surely be rated as the worst speedway meeting to be show, does very little for the sport.

When are the powers that be going to come to their senses. That running a meeting in conditions that we had tonight, are damgerous and a libilty to the riders.

I am not a supporter of either team. But running a meeting in these conditions is doing nothing what so ever for speedway. It is no wonder that on a night like this only a hand full of fans went. Mainly because they thought the meeting would be called off.

Sorry Sky but you really screwed up with this one.

Edited by weatherwatcher
  • Like 2

What happened to " rider safety is paramount", what happened to the paying customer ? F##k em', as long as we get a result, that's all that matters. Well done Sky, our heroes.

• Like 2

Good to see Garrity is just as erratic as ever and still trying to jump every start.

Congratulations Poole who made the best of a bad situation and were the better team on the night. :t:

Garrity was so desperate for points he even looks for Kyle then take's his own man out. Selfish isn't a name i would call him.

Edited by Starman2006
  • Like 2