British Speedway Forum
dantodan

Newcastle V Sheffield League Cup Sunday 31st May 2015

It's also very noticeable that must of the people who are expressing their opinion are people who aren't going at the moment for various reasons.

• Like 1

I’ve noticed the trend on several threads that when a side are having a less than successful season, results wise, out come the doom and gloom merchants predicting that attendances will dwindle and the club will shortly close down.

If this were to be the case universally, then any club finishing bottom of the pile would cease to exist and league speedway would eventually run out of clubs.

For me, the main attraction is exciting racing, slickly presented in a professional fashion, then hopefully, followed by my own team being good to watch and reasonably successful.

I recognise that there are some customers whose main reason for attending is to win all the time (aka glory hunters), so they will disappear when the going gets tough.

My own side have previously finished bottom of the table, so I know the feeling.

I remember when Cradley Heath had poor sides in the 60’s/early 70’s, but because the racing at Dudley Wood was good to watch, they still had one of the largest home attendances of any club.

IMO this prolonged spell of cold and wet weather is the major factor causing decreasing numbers coming through the turnstiles.

I have visited Brough Park many times since 1968 and reckon the current racing is actually more exciting than previously, and I wish that George English & Co. continue to prosper there.

Got to give you credit for a spot on assessment.

It's also very noticeable that must of the people who are expressing their opinion are people who aren't going at the moment for various reasons.

There's always the usuals, isn't there. If you look also at the Coventry V Poole thread, it is nearly all "those who don't attend" pontificating, the same set of non attenders that make up the group known as the Poole haters. Compare the names with the prominent posters on the Darcy Ward thread. Same posters. Don't attend, don't add to the sport but determined to criticise at every opportunity. The sport does need criticising at times of course, but some criticise just cos it's their nature to for their own gratification.

• Like 6

i agree, but would it take much more funds to pay a 7 point man what you are currently paying a five point man who was seven point man lol...... If you dont improve the team you are in danger of losing more money by not attracting folk through the turnstyles as more and more matches will become meaningless....last nights crowd was one of the poorest ive seen in many a season... Id rather die trying personally.

spot on mate,, going by the crowd on sunday the promotion must have lost money as it must have been the lowest this year so far, to get more fans back I would like to see the 4's qualifiers back rather than the league {mickey mouse}cup

Attended first meeting a couple of weeks ago with my 7 year old and the meeting took over 2 1/2 to get done and on a night before school that won't be happening again..why do meetings at Newcastle take so long. Noticed the other week the meeting away to Berwick was over and done before 8.30 now that's more like it....all of these things add up. You say people moan isn't that what freedom of speech is all about expressing your opinions. There are a lot of people on here think that it's only their opinion that counts and if the don't tow the party line they are called..maybe it's that blinkered opinion that people just think sod it I just won't go anymore

• Like 2

Attended first meeting a couple of weeks ago with my 7 year old and the meeting took over 2 1/2 to get done and on a night before school that won't be happening again..why do meetings at Newcastle take so long. Noticed the other week the meeting away to Berwick was over and done before 8.30 now that's more like it....all of these things add up. You say people moan isn't that what freedom of speech is all about expressing your opinions. There are a lot of people on here think that it's only their opinion that counts and if the don't tow the party line they are called..maybe it's that blinkered opinion that people just think sod it I just won't go anymore

Your spot on mate, I havent been this season and reading comments on here from 'certain' people and also the comments regarding length of time the meetings still take its not making me want to go. How many seasons now have meetings just dragged on??

There are 2 sets of ppl on here:

The real fans who seem to want changes

Friends of the promotion who stick up for them no matter what and come out with certain comments like 'who is available' and 'why change things'.

Newcastle speedway need to look at why they are losing all these fans and why a couple of us are thinking of having a trip up to Berwick soon for our speedway fix!! :sad:

• Like 1

From some of the comments on this thread, you would think Sheffield had come and hammered us rather than been lucky to lose by only 5.

It's not only at Newcastle that meetings drag on and I agree that 2 and a half hours to run a meeting isn't acceptable,but why doesn't the referee give people the hurry up? Yes this is a forum and like people say everyone is entitled to their opinion. I myself have only been to see the Diamonds three times this season but not because I didn't want to go it was because of health problems. I agree that it comes across as some people can see no wrong and support the promotion whatever, but it can also be said that certain people will find fault with everything. The crowd on Sunday was poor but there was the added attraction of the Magic Weekend. Speedway in general is struggling in this country and in my opinion needs major surgery if it is too survive, you just have to look at the farce from Monday evening. As for going to Berwick wow things must be bad.

The match against Glasgow had the tractor out longer than the bikes. :o:cheers:

Really!! :shock:

I like Tractors. :t::approve::D :D

Really!! :shock:

I like Tractors. :t::approve::D :D

So do I but I prefer speedway racing. I don't think one of the starting gate staff likes tractors, he tried to decapitate the driver with the tapes. :o:cheers:

Edited by tyretrax
  • Like 1

So do I but I prefer speedway racing. I don't think one of the starting gate staff likes tractors, he tried to decapitate the drive with the tapes. :o:cheers:

Ouch!!

That's not what the driver said. ;):cheers:

they should've used stronger tape,,, then he might not have said anything, lol,,,

I don't live in the NorthEast anymore, so get to very few meetings (the odd away meeting), but follow most of the matches on the excellent live service on the Newcastle Website.

I've noticed that recently (i.e. the last five years or so), meetings take a lot longer than they used to back in around 2001 when I last went every week. Usually, back then the meeting started at 6:30 and would finish around 8:15 if there had not been an unusual number of hold-ups. Obviously sometimes it went on much later.

I think this is down to track preparation. Back in time, the track was prepared for a fifteen heat meeting - was very wet at the start (gaters paradise) and then got better for the racing brigade as the meeting progressed. At the moment, the track is prepared as well as it can be, which is obviously designed to give better and more enjoyable racing, but does mean that the tractors are out re-doing the track every four heats.

There was also no 'sun' breaks. Or meeting interval (who thought that would be a good idea?), so I suspect this is the main reason for the additional time, which to me is simply wasted time.

Just my thoughts - your views may vary.