British Speedway Forum
uk_martin

Craig Cook - Where Now?

Thank you Gordon for trying to bring some sort of sense into the thread again, And not the clap trap we get from a load of bleeting sheep. Craig Cook, has been given his chance, time and time again, when he was picked for the British team, I am afraid he failed against the worlds top riders, when he got his chance last season in the British GP, he was very much lacking and it truly made him look the rider he is a top PL level rider, if he had uped his game after a couple of seasons trying to get a ride either in Poland or Sweden, then he may or may not have improved, that I doubt very much.

He has reached as far as he is going to, that is fine by me, hope that he has a few more years as heat leader in the PL, he should keep that for at least another 5 or 6 six years, he has got a capital expenditure, that he is happy with and I think that is where he is happy doing what he is doing, without taking on large bank loans to get bikes and engines that he would have to buy to even try and compete.

There are many more riders who stay in whatever league there are happy with.

Shame really that Cook gets all the flack.

The big problem with him is the way he rabbits on that again this year, he is going to take on the world of speedway, without ever delivering the goods, how many times now have we heard that from him.

I think he gets more stick than most because of the stuff he puts on social media he talks like he has all the ambition in the world but he never seems to back it up. Ive no problem with him if he is happy being a top PL rider but stop talking like your something more. He has made some bold comments and not backed them up

• Like 2

People love knocking don't they..

Craig Cook has had a fine career, even if it's peak is now.....I don't ever recall people knocking the likes of Tom Owen for sitting on 11 point National League averages with no ambition to ride British League at all....he made plenty of money though !

I can't see the obsession with riding in Poland anyway...fine if you are genuinely a world class rider or heavily sponsored to do it....fine if you are very young and ambitious...but it is honestly not the be all and end all in my opinion for a lot of riders that are not going to be GP riders .....I would sooner be the top rider in the PL and riding full time in the PL and making a good living...there is nothing wrong with Cook's career and if opportunities arise in Poland that don't actually put him out of pocket then that's good....at his age and stage of career I certainly wouldn't bankrupt myself just to ride there

....I do think that for youngsters with the potential to get to the real top then they should try and get Polish clubs though as it is required to be a top internatinal star these days, but they could do with doing it early on

I do. Plenty of discussion about it at the time, circa 1977/78.

• Like 1

I think he gets more stick than most because of the stuff he puts on social media he talks like he has all the ambition in the world but he never seems to back it up. Ive no problem with him if he is happy being a top PL rider but stop talking like your something more. He has made some bold comments and not backed them up

I have to agree with you picking up on the points I made. As we would say around these parts he is all moth and no braces. He talks a good talk, afraid though, that he always fails to back up his words. With all he has said these past few years he should now be world champ 3 times over.

Craig Cook is, what he is.

It's his life, his choices.

Agree he courts flack due to his social media and other antics.

However, his on track performances do lend to debate as we all like to see riders progress, and ultimately fulfil their potential and even do well for their country. Yet Cook appears to be happy not doing what's needed to progress ... when some see the potential and even get frustrated with his actions.

• Like 1

I have to agree with you picking up on the points I made. As we would say around these parts he is all moth and no braces. He talks a good talk, afraid though, that he always fails to back up his words. With all he has said these past few years he should now be world champ 3 times over.

Just flutters around does he? :D :D :D

• Like 1

could say the same for a few other riders. Bridger and Barker perhaps

The spelling error, may just have worked out the right way as he is proably just that a moth that flutters around the flame, but he darn't get to close just in case he gets burnt.

No time for the guy...........throws his toys out of the pram if things don't go his way............known for fencing riders as well as was proved at Poole last year................

If he wants to be in the big time he need to ditch the PL and get into Europe...............

RP

• Like 1

I'm the same. I bumped into him six years ago at Buxton where he was their reserve. He started spouting on about being the best rider in the Premier League, British number two, qualifying for the Cardiff GP and becoming an Elite League heat leader.

Arrogant get!

No time for the guy...........throws his toys out of the pram if things don't go his way............known for fencing riders as well as was proved at Poole last year................

If he wants to be in the big time he need to ditch the PL and get into Europe...............

RP

Known for fencing riders.........................................................................................................................okay then ........................................................... :t:

I'm the same. I bumped into him six years ago at Buxton where he was their reserve. He started spouting on about being the best rider in the Premier League, British number two, qualifying for the Cardiff GP and becoming an Elite League heat leader.

Arrogant get!

Harsh. :o;):P

Known for fencing riders.........................................................................................................................okay then ........................................................... :t:

Fenced Pawlicki right in front of where I was standing and its not the first time he fenced someone..............

RP

Fenced Pawlicki right in front of where I was standing and its not the first time he fenced someone..............

RP

So who else has he fenced then? Or is it just a case of he done it once so he must do it all the time?

So who else has he fenced then? Or is it just a case of he done it once so he must do it all the time?

Typical Edinburgh fan..............can't see beyond the end of their nose where their own riders are concerned...............

There have been several other incidents including one at Birmingham a few years back which nearly ended a riders career (my apologies but the name of the rider escapes me)...............

Until he grows up and stops throwing his toys out every time he does not get his own way (being named as reserve in the SWC at King's Lynn and refusing to attend the meeting because he was not in the team proper therefore Richie Worrall being named as reserve last year springs to mind) then he will never make the grade..................I have never rated him and in the few times I have seen him ride he has always been a let down...............

RP