British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Dave Stummings

Rye House V Kent 6th June

Looking to attend this. Should be a good meeting, as all the NL standalone meetings generally are. What I would say though are a couple of things.

The programme is a bit awkward, the admission is a bit high when there's a Rockets meeting the following day and track shop non-appearance is pathetic :nono: :nono: But with Mason back at his former track for Kent, Shanes and Ayres doing particularly well, throw in Baseby and it'll be a close meeting. The reserves will probably win this meeting and I’m putting my money on a Raiders win!

Looking to attend this. Should be a good meeting, as all the NL standalone meetings generally are. What I would say though are a couple of things.

The programme is a bit awkward, the admission is a bit high when there's a Rockets meeting the following day and track shop non-appearance is pathetic :nono: :nono: But with Mason back at his former track for Kent, Shanes and Ayres doing particularly well, throw in Baseby and it'll be a close meeting. The reserves will probably win this meeting and Im putting my money on a Raiders win!

What do you mean Mason? Is he guesting or something? he's an Eagle! Edited by Alex2000
  • Like 3

Looking at the preview on the Kings website I think we could have a chance of winning this. If Danny can show the form he did against Kings Lynn and Ben performs as we know he can, James and Aaron have a go and a few points from the others may just tip the scales in our favour. What do others think, or am I being naive?

Kent reserves & No2 have to start to score points if Kent are to win anywhere, At home to Birmingham I think they only managed to beat an apposing rider 3 times in 12 rides between them, 1 of them was when Coles exhaust fell off & he was excluded, so that's 2 points off the opposition in 12 rides at home! Have to say this is made up for by the current form of the top 4 (apart from Monday against Birmingham), so I suppose cant have everything. I would go for a narrow win against the Raiders.

Kent reserves & No2 have to start to score points if Kent are to win anywhere, At home to Birmingham I think they only managed to beat an apposing rider 3 times in 12 rides between them, 1 of them was when Coles exhaust fell off & he was excluded, so that's 2 points off the opposition in 12 rides at home! Have to say this is made up for by the current form of the top 4 (apart from Monday against Birmingham), so I suppose cant have everything. I would go for a narrow win against the Raiders.

The same can be said for the Raiders, Woods and the reserves need to score for us to stand a chance.

Seen The Raiders 3 times this season.1st meeting Sam looked OK against Stoke but didn't score well only 1 but looked to improved from last year.2nd meeting against Kings Lynn he had vastly improved scored 8, but his last one against Coventry scored only 2 and seemed off the pace. Hume seems the better of the 2 reserves as he can gate but is prone to over trying and dropping points.

Bowtell is the interesting one, can't gate to save his life but seems fast at times and can only get better with more and more matches. A big learning experience for all the team. Hope to see a bigger Raiders crowd this week because the racing at times is very good.

Gutted I can't make this weekend.

what size crowd did Rye get Saturday?

• Like 1

Think this meeting confirmed what we already know about kent,

If I was making the decisions I would let baseby go, and free up a few points to make the bottom end stonger, but I'm not

• Like 1

Think this meeting confirmed what we already know about kent,

If I was making the decisions I would let baseby go, and free up a few points to make the bottom end stonger, but I'm not

[/quote

Agree with above.

I feared that the team would be CARRIED by Ben (allowing for the odd bad meetings by Shanes,Ayres and Baseby).

But the real problem is that you cannot CARRY 3 riders and expect to get away with it.

Hunt wrote in the programme about this recently,but what can be done ?

To have Couzins in the main body is not fair on the rider and really weakens the team.

Edited by AJ is King

Agree with above.I feared that the team would be CARRIED by Ben (allowing for the odd bad meetings by Shanes,Ayres and Baseby).But the real problem is that you cannot CARRY 3 riders and expect to get away with it.Hunt wrote in the programme about this recently,but what can be done ?To have Couzins in the main body is not fair on the rider and really weakens the team.[/quote

I guess alot depends on what kings plans are for the next few seasons, verge, shepherd and couzins maybe alot better next season, but thats no good to kings if they are not riding national league next season

Either make some changes or right the season off

Looking at all the reserve combinations in the league I think Buxton / Kent have got the worst unfortunately Danno has gone from a heat leader last year in a harder league to a watered down league with a lower average and now at reserve.

Enjoyable meeting on at times a dusty track..Kings throwing away so many points were never likely to get a result here..Most improved performance of the day goes to Ref Dale Entwistle after his terrible performance last monday at Kent when he threw the rule book out of the window...Classy gating gave Ben Morley a 17 point haul inc a tactical ride ..Danny Ayres finally came good following Ben home for a 5-1 in heat 15 after throwing away points going to wild and needs to calm down a bit to improve his points tally of 9 .Rye is just not James Shanes, track he is not so effective round here but still battled hard for 6 points ..Basby was disapointing and looked slow 3 points,,Danno Verge had one moral boosting win but the bottom end continues to be the Kings big weakness and without improvements results will be hard to come by...Raiders were well worth there win score 52-40 and i was particuarly impressed with Alfie Bowtel..Rob Branfords usuall dominence round here was let down by his gating today, but Raiders had the strength in depth that is so lacking in the Kings side at the moment and with an almost total lack of possible replacements we will have to hope the rookies have at least some improvement in them but time is not on our side..

Looking at all the reserve combinations in the league I think Buxton / Kent have got the worst unfortunately Danno has gone from a heat leader last year in a harder league to a watered down league with a lower average and now at reserve.

Lets not kid ourselves though, he wasn't a proper heat leader, he was just less bad than his team mates.

I could be completely wrong here but I believe Luke Bowen's four point PL figure converts to 6.67 meaning he could replace Baseby. That doesn't help the Kings' lower order but he's a much better rider than Baseby.

The problem for Kent now is that they can't do much to strengthen at the bottom end as any meaningful changes will mean releasing one of the key riders (Morley, Shanes, Ayres).

The hope has to be that they can unearth a three pointer or two who can perform better than the existing bottom three.

Lets not kid ourselves though, he wasn't a proper heat leader, he was just less bad than his team mates.

I could be completely wrong here but I believe Luke Bowen's four point PL figure converts to 6.67 meaning he could replace Baseby. That doesn't help the Kings' lower order but he's a much better rider than Baseby.

The problem for Kent now is that they can't do much to strengthen at the bottom end as any meaningful changes will mean releasing one of the key riders (Morley, Shanes, Ayres).

The hope has to be that they can unearth a three pointer or two who can perform better than the existing bottom three.

Bowen's average converts to 8.00 and he's already said that he's been approached by 1 NL team and turned it down.

Good meeting last night, although rather dusty early doors. Very impressed with Alfie & Danyon, who have come on leaps & bounds. Good to see Kyle back to his best, great ht.12 4th to 2nd, took his time & picked them off with ease.

Disappointed with Kent's long tail, unfortunately they don't seem to be making the same progress. Perhaps a few more practice days would help them