British Speedway Forum
Grand Central

The Dilemma Of Greg Hancock

I think that this will be gregs last season bet he retires when this one finishes.

As original poster I want to register by anger at the thread title and my first post being altered against my wishes by a moderator.

It changes completely the nature of how I wanted this thread to be discussed.

Disgusting action on the mods part.

Totally agree with you.

This thread should have been about Hancock's actions. Instead it's turned into a witch hunt against Nicki P. I'm not defending Nicki by any manner of means, I agree with some of the comments about him but it is detracting from what is the original issue of the thread - was Hancock behaving correctly by attacking someone and what if anything should be his punishment.

I'll repeat there is no justification for violence it solves nothing.

• Like 3

FACTS? You wouldn't know what facts were if they slapped you in the face. Facts aren't opinions, they are precise details that all people recognise. Strange you talk about some, so-called facts and only mention those that highlights your opinion.

So lets have a few more facts:

1. Greg Hancock is the most respected Speedway rider in the world. Not just in this country, but the World over.

2. Nicki Pedersen, has a name of being Selfish, Dirty, Hard, rider.

Those look very much like your opinions, rather than facts

Edited by Midland Red
  • Like 1

FACTS? You wouldn't know what facts were if they slapped you in the face. Facts aren't opinions, they are precise details that all people recognise. Strange you talk about some, so-called facts and only mention those that highlights your opinion.

1. Greg Hancock is the most respected Speedway rider in the world. Not just in this country, but the World over. Be it fellow riders, fans or media. Nobody has a bad word to say about Greg Hancock. Having met him on numerous occasions he is the complete genuine person, a fantastic ambassador to everyone and everything, he is associated with. He is the sort of person who would make a perfect role model for people to imitate.

2. Nicki Pedersen, has a name of being Selfish, Dirty, Hard, rider. He cares for no one but himself. Someone who is always involved in controversy. On the riding circuit he has but a few friends, and supporters don't flock in their thousand to watch him. I saw at first hand the depths he is prepared to take to win when he Tee-Boned Kenneth Bjerre, (a fellow Dane) at the a televised meeting at the. EESG, a few years back. Even his home fans jeered in disbelief of his antics. He then, in response to the boos, rode round gestating to the crowd with his thump and fore finger. A real gentleman!!!!!. doing that in front of families and children. When Tatum and Pearson took him to task of his behaviour he just smiled and wasn't interested. Tatum actually said at the time it was probably the worst piece of dirty riding he had ever witnessed.

No, I wasn't there at the meeting, but have seen 3 different recordings of the incident, all from different positions around the track, and each of those Pedersen is clearly at fault. In a race, when the meeting is all but over, Hancock was leading, when Pedersen, some distance adrift, straightened up on the corner and got good drive out. From the extra speed, Pedersen could've picked any line he wished. But getting to the front wasn't his prime aim. he wanted to interfere with Hancock's line forcing him to ease off or else. That all very well when you allow them the space to do that . but Pedersen's intended line said he wasn't taken any prisoners. The whole incident is dictated by Pederson forceful riding. There are too many accidents and people get hurt in the sport now, riders need to remember this. Had the positions been changed round there would've no accident because Hancock would haven't done that.

Whether there was any contact, only them will know, but it was to close, difficult to see from each of them videos, but the movement of Hancock handlebars suggests there was. For a calm and placid man, the reaction from Hancock tells me he thought Pedersen had crossed that line. I don't condone Hancock's retaliation, but you have to realise it's them who put their life on the line.

How anybody can justify Pedersen's behaviour is beyond me.

Footnote: I am part of a syndicate who have a sweepstake at each SGP. We pick riders at the start of each year for the whole campaign. This year, my rider is NICKI PEDERSEN

I fail to see the point in this remark, so once a team has won the other team/riders should just say f**k it what the point. These guys are racers and they race until the end of the meeting, it is how they make money. Nicki had every right to try and make that pass or do you just want to watch four riders ride around or do you want to see four riders race!!!

I would also agree with another comment where philipsr says far more people travel to watch him than you think, I do, I think he is great for the sport and box office. I will await the witch hunt by the other GP riders against Pedersen at Cardiff.

1. Greg Hancock is the most respected Speedway rider in the world. Not just in this country, but the World over. Be it fellow riders, fans or media. Nobody has a bad word to say about Greg Hancock. Having met him on numerous occasions he is the complete genuine person, a fantastic ambassador to everyone and everything, he is associated with. He is the sort of person who would make a perfect role model for people to imitate.

2. Nicki Pedersen, has a name of being Selfish, Dirty, Hard, rider. He cares for no one but himself. Someone who is always involved in controversy. On the riding circuit he has but a few friends, and supporters don't flock in their thousand to watch him. I saw at first hand the depths he is prepared to take to win when he Tee-Boned Kenneth Bjerre, (a fellow Dane) at the a televised meeting at the. EESG, a few years back. Even his home fans jeered in disbelief of his antics. He then, in response to the boos, rode round gestating to the crowd with his thump and fore finger. A real gentleman!!!!!. doing that in front of families and children. When Tatum and Pearson took him to task of his behaviour he just smiled and wasn't interested. Tatum actually said at the time it was probably the worst piece of dirty riding he had ever witnessed.

No, I wasn't there at the meeting, but have seen 3 different recordings of the incident, all from different positions around the track, and each of those Pedersen is clearly at fault. In a race, when the meeting is all but over, Hancock was leading, when Pedersen, some distance adrift, straightened up on the corner and got good drive out. From the extra speed, Pedersen could've picked any line he wished. But getting to the front wasn't his prime aim. he wanted to interfere with Hancock's line forcing him to ease off or else. That all very well when you allow them the space to do that . but Pedersen's intended line said he wasn't taken any prisoners. The whole incident is dictated by Pederson forceful riding. There are too many accidents and people get hurt in the sport now, riders need to remember this. Had the positions been changed round there would've no accident because Hancock would haven't done that.

Whether there was any contact, only them will know, but it was to close, difficult to see from each of them videos, but the movement of Hancock handlebars suggests there was. For a calm and placid man, the reaction from Hancock tells me he thought Pedersen had crossed that line. I don't condone Hancock's retaliation, but you have to realise it's them who put their life on the line.

Footnote: I am part of a syndicate who have a sweepstake at each SGP. We pick riders at the start of each year for the whole campaign. This year, my rider is NICKI PEDERSEN

hancock wouldnt have done it because he cant pass wind, and Nicki is also one of the nicest blokes you will meet in speedway... He just dont hide behind a grin :)
  • Like 4

Surely tsunami means it was more than 25k?

Why world a Wolves fan deram we had paíd more than we had. If we did pay less, good work from cvs, bad work from tsunami.

Wolves will nave recouped much if not all of it in loan fees over the years.

Not really blaze, I think every wolves fan remembers said meeting.

In a way that's the great thing about nicki.

You know, all this time, I've always thought that Pedersen cost CVS by dumping GB. When I've done the actual math you're bloody right. 9 years out on loan. If I'd realised I'd never have made the original comment. Silly boy :oops:

Edited by Wolfsbane

I haven't said don't punish him, I've said a ban says you can do what you like on track as its racing. The most you are going to get is excluded. It's all about opinions, mine is that Greg did wrong but if pedersen had been pulled up before now for his track tactics then there would be no talking point today.

http://youtu.be/znWAW7803RQ

watching this video. its the same incident almost. pederson took out thj and then as he returns to the pits, we get the same finger wagging denial that he has done any thing wrong. np says , he turned left on me, speedway bikes do that all the time. no drastic turning from thj, just dangerous riding from the tool, np.

how long can he go on taking people off. ?

superb wrestling take down on the tool. no rider deservers to be on the wrong end of pederson.

then again as middlewitch says, its speedway , not tiddlywinks.. still dirty riding by the tool..

As original poster I want to register my anger at the thread title and my first post being altered against my wishes by a moderator.

Your thread title was just right and this alteration makes it a completely different thread.

Edited by pandorum
  • Like 1

whats all the fuss here?..NP is hard on GH, GH seeks revenge with a push and a shove...imo he should of just went back in the pits and lumped him, that way it is out of the limelight and would more than likely got away without a fine.

Don't be fooled by all this Mr Nice guy trash, he isn't a world champion by smiling all of the time!

• Like 2

watching this video. its the same incident almost. pederson took out thj and then as he returns to the pits, we get the same finger wagging denial that he has done any thing wrong. np says , he turned left on me, speedway bikes do that all the time. no drastic turning from thj, just dangerous riding from the tool, np.

how long can he go on taking people off. ?

superb wrestling take down on the tool. no rider deservers to be on the wrong end of pederson.

then again as middlewitch says, its speedway , not tiddlywinks.. still dirty riding by the tool..

who??

BETTER to take retribution off the track than on it. Plenty of riders 30/40 years ago would have dealt with a similar situation very differently. A speedway bike can be a lethal weapon when seeking revenge.

Like it or not, Hancock's views are echoed around the SGP pits and it was only a matter of time before something like this happened again. Matej Zagar had a confrontation with NP in Manilla a few years back.

Of course, Pedersen is box office, the pantomime villain if you like, but safety is paramount and there are undoubtably times when Nicki oversteps the mark and risks injuring his fellow competitors.

Hancock's views may well be prevalent in your circle but Nicki is hardly the only culprit.

You seem to be coming out against Nicki but his action on Tuesday was hardly the worst of it's kind and why don't you criticise Sundstrom for deliberately fencing Belousov?

Your support of off track retribution is disturbing.

It may well happen from time to time but it's rather unsavoury and someone of your supposed 'stature' should not be promoting it :(

Nicki did not invent hard/dirty riding and it's a different era now with a lot more professionalism in the sport.

30/40 years ago Nicki would not dare do what he does today as someone would have wrapped his bike around his head.

Of course like some football players he has a reputation and sometimes it works against him.

I have seen him excluded when replays showed he was an innocent party.

We know now he is not the hard man we thought he was and is a bit of a coward but he does not do stuff like that EVERY meeting and there are others who do the same thing from time to time.

Even Hancock has ridden hard against people in his time.

As The Return said it should not be the WHO but the WHAT that is considered and then judged.

Your mate Hancock committed the far greater crime on Tuesday and should be banned for it.

Regardless of provocation that is a No-No on a speedway track. An even more cowardly act than Pedersen's as Nicki had no chance to defend himself.

Hancock is a role model.

I happen to like Greg and don't like Nicki.

But Greg was the villain in Tuesdays pantomime and it is him that should be coming in for criticism to a far greater degree than Nicki.

Hence the thread title!

It's for the authorities to address this kind of hard riding and come up with a solution that is applied to ALL not just Nicki Pedersen.

That is what you and your ilk should be peddling not sticking up for Greg and having a go at Nicki.

Edited by pandorum
  • Like 2

I think it's worthy of note that the referee, who was at the track, and whose decision is final, deemed Nicki Pedersen the cause of the stoppage and excluded him from the re-run. He didn't exclude him for unfair riding, he didn't fine him for unsportsmanlike conduct, and as far as I'm aware there will be no further action on Nicki himself. Hancock is the one who was fined for bringing the sport into disrepute.

The video that has gone viral, and the news that is travelling the world, is NOT "Pedersen knocks Hancock off his bike" or "Nicki pulls a dirty move on Greg", it's "Hancock tackles Pedersen" and "SGP icons in Motala melee." It is Hancock's reaction that is the talk of the internet, not the incident leading up to it.

Even the official GP website was using the fight as a promotion point for Cardiff (although this has since been removed - not sure why as I personally don't see anything wrong with it.)

BWitcher's point about those saying "one day he's going to cause a serious accident" is very valid. Nicki Pedersen has been riding for 20 odd years and has not once been the cause of a "serious" (and by that I mean life-changing) accident.

Off topic, but I would be really interested if one of the stattos compiled a list of how many accidents in GP racing have led to anything more than bruises and who the referee deemed the cause for those. I think it might be quite an eye opener. :)

Also, as a racing fan, I find it difficult reading that so many people who, when Nicki is the rider who goes down, call it karma, say he deserves all he gets, and claim the moral high ground. The irony in those statements is quite staggering, and more than a little disturbing.

• Like 1

BETTER to take retribution off the track than on it. Plenty of riders 30/40 years ago would have dealt with a similar situation very differently. A speedway bike can be a lethal weapon when seeking revenge.

Like it or not, Hancock's views are echoed around the SGP pits and it was only a matter of time before something like this happened again. Matej Zagar had a confrontation with NP in Manilla a few years back.

Of course, Pedersen is box office, the pantomime villain if you like, but safety is paramount and there are undoubtably times when Nicki oversteps the mark and risks injuring his fellow competitors.

I might have known you would have found a way to twist the events to defend Hancock actions.

• Like 2

As original poster I want to register my anger at the thread title and my first post being altered against my wishes by a moderator.

Removed NP from topic title :).

If you had created two topics then it might have helped, this was always going to end up discussing the full incident and not just Greg.

• Like 1

Come into work this morning and someone said to me, "you like that speedway thing don't you?" ...... "that was a brilliant. Does that always happen?". It seems even non-speedway people are picking up no this one!