British Speedway Forum
Grand Central

The Dilemma Of Greg Hancock

I read it differently. I read it that people were saying enough is enough and he'll get a taste of his own medicine if he carries on.

Not the other 14 riders in a room drawing straws for who's fencing him in the next heat.

And let's be honest, are any of us remotely shocked by this revelation? Bunch of the riders already had very public Twitter spats with NP anyway.

Plus let's not forget that Phils point was he's glad it came to a head NOT in a racing scenario which he suggested (quite rightly) is better then during. As risers had spoken - not acted upon, but spoken about is after seeing Nicki do something like that one time to many.

You will disagree with me & I respect that but I'm just suggesting it's not quite the mountain you've made of it..

EXACTLY and it was talked about quite openly and was in the public domain. It all came to a head in Malilla when NP clashed with Zagar and some riders were basically saying that two could play at that game. It's not a question of deliberately trying to hurt someone because I'm sure no rider and certainly not NP would want to do that. But a 'win at all costs attitude' with little regard to your opponent or his equipment is quite different.

I think that what upsets opponents most is that Nicki rarely shows any remorse and while he is often sinned against the list of riders in the SGP that he has caused to come to grief is very long.

SO you would rather see riders try to fence Pedersen? And believe me it has been talked about. That was my point.

EXCUSE me but that's exactly what you said. You have overheard riders talking about committing a serious assault on another rider.

You do know that what you told us about is a criminal offence?

What Pedersen does is hard/dirty riding and it's for the authorities to sort that out.

But to tell us riders are considering fencing Nicki is a disgrace. In your silly attempts to show off to the forum you have overstepped a mark.

First you should not be sharing information like this with people you don't know.

Secondly you betray the confidences that riders expect of you by relaying their tittle tattle in the pits about Nicki Pedersen to a silly message board.

Thirdly you are a party to knowledge of a possible criminal offence.

If anything bad happens to Pedersen what are we to think? Because you have shared this with us.

Perhaps it is just bluster from riders who are fed up of Nicki's dirty riding but perhaps it isn't.

What you should have done is maybe mentioned that these rumblings were going on in the pits to somebody in authority who could maybe settle things down by getting them all together and trying to stop it going any further and perhaps also calming Nicki down a bit.

You have more idea about that stuff than I have.

Also what you should have done is not opened your mouth about this.

We don't need to know this stuff.

I find it very disturbing that someone of your 'stature' would do something as stupid as mention that Pedersen is in danger of being deliberately fenced.

You are a fool and next time you have any juicy tidbits from the pits it might pay you to respect the confidence of the riders by zipping it :(

• Like 1

But this is common knowledge we know the riders have spoken about it. Get on Twitter, Facebook, listen to interviews.

And learn some manners and don't call people fools. Especially when you're making one of yourself.

• Like 1

WHO mentioned serious assault? "Fencing" is just speedway terminology, not leaving room for an opponent to go through but still leaving him with the option to shut the throttle, giving as good as they get. If you choose to interpret it in a different way that is up to you. As I said, no rider would go out of his way to deliberately maim a rider or even worse. But impeeding their progress, running them wide into a corner for example, is a different matter. I would bet money that of all the SGP riders Nicki suffers the most from first corners when opponents endeavour to put him out of contention as soon as possible.

Posters have previously expressed the view that Greg Hancock gets "an easy ride" from his opponents. Perhaps he does but the opposite is true of Nicki. He is afforded no quarter and that is simply because unlike Greg most have issues with him. For a long while in the early days of the SGP it was Tomasz Gollob who was the villain. Remember Craig Boyce at the London Arena?

The petition by riders to Tony Olsson as Race Director and the FIM was an effort to calm things down. If riders tell me something in confidence then it stays that way but when several are publicly expressing their views that is quite different. It was only a undertaking by the FIM to remind referees that they had the power to exclude riders deemed guilty of dangerous riding and to forfeit valuable points that some of the more vociferous riders did, in fact, calm down.

Edited by PHILIPRISING
  • Like 2

It appears to me now that:

There is a thuggish pack mentality from Gregs little gang! (sycophantic) Sorry had to use this word and put definition in at bottom of page! lol (Well it made me smile anyway)

Which can do no good to anybody involved!

A group of people (Speedway riders!) egging each other on, as if they are a gang of teenage schoolboys.

All being whipped up into a frenzy by their older leader! Who should know better!

If there is a racing "Accident" now and Nicki gets taken out what will it look like? ( A revenge attack) every incident now will look dubious!

sycophantic
ˌsɪkəˈfantɪk/
adjective
adjective: sycophantic
behaving or done in an obsequious way in order to gain advantage.
"a sycophantic interview"
synonyms: obsequious, servile, subservient, deferential, grovelling, toadying, fawning, flattering, ingratiating, cringing, unctuous, oily, slimy, creeping, crawling, truckling, slavish, bowing and scraping, Uriah Heepish, gushing;
informalbootlicking, smarmy;
vulgar slangarse-licking, arse-kissing, brown-nosing;
vulgar slangsuckholing
"his clique of sycophantic friends"
  • Like 1

I believe the top Post is the relevant one here. I can see nothing in it about people hunting for Nicki on the Track. It might happen, I hope it doesn't, but I don't think Philip has Posted anything wrong here. I don't always agree with him, by the way, but fair is fair.

There is another more relevant post somewhere on the thread that tells a different story.

If so - I stand corrected. I was only trying to clarify things.

Well blow me, my understanding of the term fencing was wrong all these years, I was of the opinion it meant take a rider wider and wider leaving them no room and no time to shut off.

Or maybe I was right and someone is just back tracking on their earlier comment.

Well blow me, my understanding of the term fencing was wrong all these years, I was of the opinion it meant take a rider wider and wider leaving them no room and no time to shut off.

Well that's me been wrong for 50 years too :wink:

Well you are clearly not even trying to understand so there's no point trying to explain anymore is there.

Surely fencing means to put a rider in the fence? While floored means to dump him on the floor.

Or maybe I was right and someone is just back tracking on their earlier comment.

There's almost always time to shut off. The problem with Pedersen is he seems to flick the back wheel at just the right moment to take an opponents front wheel away, now that's dangerous and bang out of order, imagine how it must feel to be on the receiving end of a that. It doesn't justify Hancock's reaction but, for me, it goes a long way to explaining it.

As for the statement on his website, it was good to get an insight into how he's thinking.

I would agree with all of those except Leigh Adams.

Would also havep to add gollob Wilkinson sigalos Lee duggan Huxley and farndon.

Nicki may not be as naturally gifted as some of those but he is a three times world champ. In some ways reminds me of Hans who I believe Erik once referred to as racing "like a stock car driver"

Edited by waihekeaces1

I think this thread should be renamed Ha Ha Hancock's Half Hour

It would be a situation comedy starring Greg Hancock

with Nikki Pedersen as Sid James

guest starring Darcey Ward as Bill Kerr

It could be set in a cosy speedway stadium in East Cheam

The team could be called the East Cheam Fencers

That should do it

'A pint of blood, that's nearly half an arm full'

:)

• Like 1

There's almost always time to shut off. The problem with Pedersen is he seems to flick the back wheel at just the right moment to take an opponents front wheel away, now that's dangerous and bang out of order, imagine how it must feel to be on the receiving end of a that. It doesn't justify Hancock's reaction but, for me, it goes a long way to explaining it.

As for the statement on his website, it was good to get an insight into how he's thinking.

Actually, if you watch Nicki you'll notice he certainly does NOT flick the back wheel at others.