British Speedway Forum
Grand Central

The Dilemma Of Greg Hancock

SHORTLY after the Zagar/Pedersen flare-up the SGP riders collectively spoke to Race Director Tony Olsson and the FIM about what they perceived to be Pedersen's dubious and dangerous tactics at times and that they would no longer tolerate them.

At subsequent riders' briefings the referee of the day would point out that riders should respect one another, race fairly, leave each other room and that just because a rider was in front was no defence if he was deemed to be the cause of a stoppage or unfair riding.

I would imagine that Tuesday's incident brought back memories for Greg not just of Prague a few years back but Gorzow last season when although no blame could be attached to NKI it was a sharp reminder of what can occur at high speed on the straights with no air fence.

I have a lot of time and respect for Nicki. No one works harder, he is passionate about his speedway and has a thirst for success and I really don't believe that he goes out to hurt anyone. But there is no question that on occasions he oversteps the acceptable limit.

So ... I'm unsure.

If this information is to help the debate.

Does it mean we should be applauding Greg, or not.

Even having got it off his chest; is it still OK for him to thump Nicki at Cardiff, If his 'memories' get the better of him?

Or can the others have a 'pop' if they happen to fall off within 'blame distance' of Nicki?

Hand on heart, how many can say when incensed by someone's stupidity they have not over-reacted. The mildest mannered amongst us can be tempted to rashness if provoked. Greg's actions were regrettable but understandable.

Yes Yes Yes. That really is point

Nicki P........ Malcolm Tucker. Harry Hill..... FIGHTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

In the Words of Malcolm Tucker it would on, it would be so on, like fat Pats Thong

Hand on heart, how many can say when incensed by someone's stupidity they have not over-reacted. The mildest mannered amongst us can be tempted to rashness if provoked. Greg's actions were regrettable but understandable.

That might be true,but the authorities have to look at what Greg did and hand out a punishment that fits the incident and not look at who was in the incident and hand a lenient punishment because someone is a nice guy normally.

• Like 2

PRESUMABLY the former as far as referees are concerned but has he or any rider been deemed to warrant such action although it is definitely in the power of the referee.

And as far as the organisers are concerned, of course he is box office.

Looking forward to the pre-meeting parade at Cardiff. First in line current WC leader (Woffinden, not exactly NP's biggest fan), followed by Pedersen and Hancock (no Hampel). Perhaps they should put them in a boxing ring...

As it is at all meetings as I understand it.

Therefore it follows referees either don't deem any rider, guilty of riding that is that dangerous or they are not giving the other riders the protection they want.

Whichever, neither gives any rider the right to physically attack another, especially when that rider is still on his bike.

Please note I'm trying to keep personalities out of this :wink:

Quite right iris...I was not suggesting Greg should not be punished. merely saying his (incorrect) response was understandable. :nono:

We should be applauding Greg for doing something exciting. Hitting another rider while he still has all his protection on is hardly going to cause any damage. It's a good thing!

The problem is also Greg came off when Nicki left him nowhere to and was thrown out of the race. Nicki could have pulled the same move and Greg stayed on. My money would be on the ref doing nothing to exclude Nicki. So riders have to fall for another to get excluded. Just because a rider doesnt fall, does it make the manourve any less dangerous ?

• Like 2

We should be applauding Greg for doing something exciting. Hitting another rider while he still has all his protection on is hardly going to cause any damage. It's a good thing!

I assume you are speaking "tongue-in-cheek".

Whatever the rights or wrongs of Hancock's actions they certainly cannot be called spur of the moment. He ran 50+ yards. That's premeditation.

Plus Pedersen was a dozy sod, it wasn't difficult to imagine what was coming, he had plenty of time to see Hancock mincing towards him :D

Edited by Wolfsbane
  • Like 1

I quite agree.

It's all the 'fun of the fair'.

It has been the long winded 'justifications', on both sides, 'that have amused me so much.

If I had put a bet on that you could start a thread about Greg Hancock and get 27 pages in a couple days; the odds would have been 1000/1.

Let's keep up the PR push before Cardiff.

Just a pity I can't make it this year !

• Like 1

I assume you are speaking "tongue-in-cheek".

No. I'm serious. I think this is great, a bit of handbags is wonderful. I actually agree Phil Rising no this on. Better to do it like this than do it on a bike. And the fans love it, look at us all, still going on nearly 48 hours later!

Hmmm!

Bit like the Wealdstone Raider attacking Tyson Fury

• Like 2

No. I'm serious. I think this is great, a bit of handbags is wonderful. I actually agree Phil Rising no this on. Better to do it like this than do it on a bike. And the fans love it, look at us all, still going on nearly 48 hours later!

Hahaha very true SCB