British Speedway Forum
drvortexz

Somerset And The Confederate Flag

The Barrow Happy Face would have to be the first to go. Surely it relates to drug taking?

well there must be a few on here :),,, a mean :-)

What about the 'happy shopper',,, often wondered why it's open so late, hmmm

• Like 1

this has been brought up before,so why start it again, imo cannot see a problem, pc crap as usual.

It's only PC Crap if it does not offend anyone, but for others it will have personal meaning of past racist episodes, so for others it is far more than 'PC Crap'.

• Like 3

Nonsense.

The confederate flag represents the Rebel states during the American War of Independence and has remained the symbol of the Southern states ever since. Some, however, might have twisted it to represent something other than that.

The Confederacy flag cannot solely be seen to be a symbol of white supremacy simply because those who practice such beliefs use it as their banner. Or is the Union Jack to be deemed racist because right wing groups use it here ?

A devil represents Satanism, black magic and heaven knows what else. Buxton's Hitman represents someone who kills other people for money or clan loyalty.

Taking it to ludicrous conclusions, some might indeed find such emblems offensive (although I suspect that if everyone's objections were taken into account we'd be left with Barrow's appalling 'Happy Faces' and little else).

Most of us, I suspect, would never even think about it and just accept them as absolutely harmless team nicknames and colours.

I can't believe that such ridiculous political correctness has even reached the BSF.

That is ridiculous!

What was the Confederacy fighting for in the Civil War?

Comparing the Confederate flag to race jackets with "cartoon" devil and hitmen logos is absurd. They are two completely different things.

Would you be happy with a team to have a swastika logo on their race jacket?

Accusing someone "of ridiculous political correctness" because they are not happy to accept something that more and more people find unacceptable is a pretty lame argument

The Confederate flag is a living, breathing symbol of white supremacy. Since the Governor of South Carolina suggested it be banned from public buildings, six black churches in the south have been set on fire. In my view it has no place in modern American life.

However, the issue is not relevant to the UK or Somerset speedway. I don't see any problem at all with the Somerset Rebels.

I completely agree with your first paragraph but not your second.

Racism is still a problem in this country and so casually using the Confederate flag anywhere as a logo is still an issue, I think.

I thought the Confederate flag represented the 'Dukes of Hazzard',,, just a couple of good old boys, jumping in and out of cars and driving recklessly all over the county, getting chased off the law and brewing illicit drink,,, hardly roll models for children of today's society,,, mmm

• Like 1

As a side issue, over 13% of the British population is "non-white". This is certainly not reflected in the attendances at the tracks or those competing on them.

• Like 1

What about the Bears

you know what they do in the woods

• Like 2

That is ridiculous!

What was the Confederacy fighting for in the Civil War?

Comparing the Confederate flag to race jackets with "cartoon" devil and hitmen logos is absurd. They are two completely different things.

Would you be happy with a team to have a swastika logo on their race jacket?

Accusing someone "of ridiculous political correctness" because they are not happy to accept something that more and more people find unacceptable is a pretty lame argument

I completely agree with your first paragraph but not your second.

Racism is still a problem in this country and so casually using the Confederate flag anywhere as a logo is still an issue, I think.

They were fighting for the right to secede from the United States. For Example: States Rights.

Slavery only became a major reason after Lincoln's Emancipation Bill in 1863 a whole two years after the Civil War commenced. It was seen as a watershed time in the War. Lincoln needed a victory to introduce his Emancipation Act. He got that at Antietam in 1862.

See below:

http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/featured_documents/emancipation_proclamation/

Further Information below regarding the Battle:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antietam_National_Battlefield

I thought the Confederate flag represented the 'Dukes of Hazzard',,, just a couple of good old boys, jumping in and out of cars and driving recklessly all over the county, getting chased off the law and brewing illicit drink,,, hardly roll models for children of today's society,,, mmm

Sounds like Darcy Ward back in Aussie during the close season

• Like 5

They were fighting for the right to secede from the United States. For Example: States Rights.

Slavery only became a major reason after Lincoln's Emancipation Bill in 1863 a whole two years after the Civil War commenced. It was seen as a watershed time in the War. Lincoln needed a victory to introduce his Emancipation Act. He got that at Antietam in 1862.

See below:

http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/featured_documents/emancipation_proclamation/

Further Information below regarding the Battle:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antietam_National_Battlefield

But slavery had been an issue that had been building up since the 1850s and was one of the reasons for those states seeking secession.

But slavery had been an issue that had been building up since the 1850s and was one of the reasons for those states seeking secession.

Very true - but it was not the main cause of the War.

As regards the Battle Flag - I view it as just that. I have said before, a lot of people fought and died under that Flag and it should be honoured as such. The fact that White Supremacists have taken it as there own does in no way devalue what the Battle Flag means to some folk in the South.

I have already stated that the flying of the Flag from Public Buildings should be banned - it is a shame but the association with Racism is etched in some people's mind these days.

Edited by The White Knight

What about the Bears

you know what they do in the woods

Yeah....they sh*t. Just like the dirty cats that empty their bowels in my garden! :cry:

Edited by PiratesPiratesPirates

I have already stated that the flying of the Fag from Public Buildings should be banned

That would be homophobic

• Like 2

That would be homophobic

Ooops!!!! :oops::oops::oops:

I will Edit.

No offense meant. :o

Edited: John Cheers. :oops:

Edited by The White Knight

As a side issue, over 13% of the British population is "non-white". This is certainly not reflected in the attendances at the tracks or those competing on them.

They won't be there to be offended by the Rebel flag then.

They won't be there to be offended by the Rebel flag then.

So, in your opinion, you have to be black to be offended by it then?