British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mdmc82

Belle Vue V Lakeside Mon 6th July

If only the decision was the same for all teams

Perhaps it is - its just the various 'statements' that give the situation a different slant!!

So what's different about this meeting?

why were Belle Vue able to call it off a couple of hours before the meeting when the GSI statement says it has to be 48hours before which was the reason why Coventry were not allowed to call it off on the 1st June even though it had been terrible all day

As i see it and said on the Coventry thread previously, there is no rule about calling off 48hrs beforehand. What the gospeed statement said to me was that if it's not called off with at least 48hrs notice, then Sky incur costs which in some way are recovered from gospeed/bspa.

This is nothing to do with postponing meetings, which is in the hands of scb etc, as with any other meeting. As we all know cov vs poole, the track was absolutely fine at the start whereas the belle vue one was not. Completely different scenario. I'm always a bit suspicious off call-offs based on the oh so reliable weather forecasts!

Didn't the track covers work?

They were in Cardiff, just in case 😉.

• Like 1

It's more important.

Both Poole and Coventry had all but qualified for the pokc so that meeting was just a meaningless filler instead of a crackerjack meeting between the top two sides.

Dont worry though, as I said both teams are in the pokc so could race each other in the semi or even the final, sadly that'll be in October though so don't rule out another rain affected affair.

So many of the meetings involving the best teams in the league become meaningless while the also rans like Belle Vue and Lakeside find their mid table mediocre affairs artificially made more important.

Ah well, them's the rules.

Not meaningless at all, both sides need the points to get first pick which could be vital. Belle Vue could easily still make the play offs so their meeting wasnt meaningless mid table either and it will probably be sunny in october Edited by foreverblue
  • Like 1

What do you mean if? It has to be called off 48hours in advance otherwise it has to go ahead regardless of the weather. Weren't they the rules?

No, that is just some nonsense you made up.

The statement was quite clear. If a club severely doubts a match will go ahead (current state of track combined with forecast) then a call off more than 48 hours in advance means the OB hasn,t been mobilized and will incur SKY in no cost, it will also give them time to possibly re locate to another match.

With less than 48 hours everything has started to swing into place re covering that match, costs incurred etc and they would like to do everything possible to get the meeting on.

It is a perfectly reasonable request

• Like 2

No, that is just some nonsense you made up.

The statement was quite clear. If a club severely doubts a match will go ahead (current state of track combined with forecast) then a call off more than 48 hours in advance means the OB hasn,t been mobilized and will incur SKY in no cost, it will also give them time to possibly re locate to another match.

With less than 48 hours everything has started to swing into place re covering that match, costs incurred etc and they would like to do everything possible to get the meeting on.

It is a perfectly reasonable request

I think the only person full of nonsense is you. (Sigh) Horton was told he wasn't allowed to call off the meeting when he tried to earlier Monday. He was not allowed to on the evening either.

If maybe you read the statement again you will see that 😉

Our agreement with Sky Sports is that, in the event of a poor forecast, we can give them the option to postpone 48-hours in advance at little or no cost to the broadcaster and at the same time we would offer the staging club another TV date. Win, win.

However, once the 48-hour threshold had passed, every effort was made to stage the meeting as Sky were committed to the broadcast.

(This is why he was told no when he wanted to call it off on the day)

I agree Belle Vue's meeting was right being called off. I just think it should be the same for all teams and not different rules if your above Poole in the league. 😉

Edited by mdmc82
  • Like 2

They were in Cardiff, just in case .

Thanks for the information. Makes sense. :)

I think the only person full of nonsense is you. (Sigh) Horton was told he wasn't allowed to call off the meeting when he tried to earlier Monday. He was not allowed to on the evening either.

If maybe you read the statement again you will see that 😉

Our agreement with Sky Sports is that, in the event of a poor forecast, we can give them the option to postpone 48-hours in advance at little or no cost to the broadcaster and at the same time we would offer the staging club another TV date. Win, win.

However, once the 48-hour threshold had passed, every effort was made to stage the meeting as Sky were committed to the broadcast.

I agree Belle Vue's meeting was right being called off. I just think it should be the same for all teams and not different rules if your above Poole in the league. 😉

Perhaps Coventry shouldnt have tried so hard to get the track raceable, got the hosepipe out and made it unraceable!

Well the bit about our otherwise meaningless mid table meeting becoming important is correct, that's how it works. Us mid table teams get something to race for while the uber teams just race out their last few meetings testing set ups or whatever they call it. There is a saying, you can't polish a lort.

Sadly very few people share your enthusiasm for finishing top anymore, as demonstrated last season when Kings Lynn came to Belle Vue for a meeting which could have seen them finish top of the big boys league for the first time in their history, nobody was bothered. Shame.

You could be right about the weather in October of course but watching the elite league programme sky put out last night it can't have escaped your attention that both the pre pokc titles were won on dry tracks in front of big crowds. That's how it used to work, the top teams always attracted big crowds (unlike bv v kl last season) all season now the top teams are just marking time waiting for the thrilling rain affected pokc.

Its rain affected whatever month you have the play offs probably. I am sure Kings Lynn tried hard but with Bjerre in your side you always have the feeling they don't try! although he probably didn't ride in that meeting.

Edited by foreverblue

For all anyone on here knows Sky could have been given the option to call it off 48 hours before but decided not to do so. Also, to be accurate, it wasn't Belle Vue who called it off, it was the meeting referee.

Who was this brave person? Someone coming up to retirement who's fireproof :lol:

If maybe you read the statement again you will see that

I agree Belle Vue's meeting was right being called off. I just think it should be the same for all teams and not different rules if your above Poole in the league.

And that is absolutely right in my view - the decision to call of a meeting should be one for the referee, as it was at Belle Vue on Monday.

And that is absolutely right in my view - the decision to call of a meeting should be one for the referee, as it was at Belle Vue on Monday.

No it shouldn't. A promoter should always have a right to call off a meeting until a referee or official arrives who is then in charge. It's farcical that a promoter cannot postpone on the day because Sky are in town.

• Like 1