British Speedway Forum
hammers66

New To Speedway And Surprised At The Negativity, Are Things Really That Bad?

Thanks Custom. Fancy a flutter on it tonight but can't find a site with betting for Prem league.

A bit early to start betting on a sport that you claim to have little knowledge of? How will you know who to back as a winner for example?

:::: Make a note - Vic Duggan and Jack Parker retired years ago so don't have them as your betting favourites!!

Edited by Guest

A bit early to start betting on a sport that you claim to have little knowledge of? How will you know who to back as a winner for example?

:::: Make a note - Vic Duggan and Jack Parker retired years ago so don't have them as your betting favourites!!

Fair comment mate but just a few quid that would make it more interesting for me. That's all. I have bet on elite league before by looking at the table, past results and who I may fancy on teh night. Not big money or anything.

Edited by hammers66

Do you smell a rabbit ??? ;)

i do smell a rabbit

and its working too

Where is this bunny and who is he?

Perhaps because he wants to have a bit of fun ?

I know thats an alien concept to you, but good luck to him i say. The odds should give him a reasonable idea of who's expected to win races.

• Like 1

Perhaps because he wants to have a bit of fun ?

I know thats an alien concept to you, but good luck to him i say. The odds should give him a reasonable idea of who's expected to win races.

That's pretty much it mate and every now and then I go for the outsider.

• Like 1

A few bob on NKI to win at Cardiff last week would have been an idea, particularly if put on before the semis :rofl:

• Like 1

I am not sure if it is suggested that I am some sort of "rabbit" - Like I created this post for some ulterior motive and to get people debating etc?

I have always been a firm believer in if you do not know, then do not be afraid to a ask, and with my limited understanding of speedway I started this post as I had seen a lot of moaning on facebook speedway groups and wondered what was so bad (in the eyes of many) about a sport I had really grown to like in a short time but knew little about. So, I thought I would ask here after reading some great posts.

I hate being ignorant about a subject I take interest in and have had some wonderful replies to my post and had some great inbox messages from people willing to loan me DVD's, suggest videos and books and the time taken by people here has shown me that there are people that do love the sport and the same people have also succinctly shown me why some people do complain.

I also wanted to hear views from people that know a lot more than I ever will and in turn could help me understand a bit more about a sport that I am willing to learn lots about. And you know what, the best advice I received was? It was along the lines of, "it's four blokes riding high powered bikes with no brakes and all going for the win - Nothing more" and that was a great way to stop me frying my own brain with rules and regs that a newbie could get bogged down with.

Seriously, I would like to thank anyone that took the time out to post on this thread and to those that inboxed me I thank you. If anyone thinks I am here for a wind up I will quietly leave and stick to facebook for any info and questions I have.

I hope to stick around here but do not what anyone to think any post I make is someone else trying to put a cat among the pigeons as I would be just wasting my own time as the posts would not be taken seriously.

Cheers to you all once again that have taken the time to reply.

Edited by hammers66

I had a situation a while back where a forum member was convinced I was posting under multiple user names. Nothing would convince him otherwise so I gave up trying and decided to ignore him.

Inevitably given the number of members there are a tiny number of wind-up merchants. Ignore them and enjoy debating with the overwhelming number on this forum...a great bunch who love their speedway.

:cheers:

• Like 1

I had a situation a while back where a forum member was convinced I was posting under multiple user names. Nothing would convince him otherwise so I gave up trying and decided to ignore him.

Inevitably given the number of members there are a tiny number of wind-up merchants. Ignore them and enjoy debating with the overwhelming number on this forum...a great bunch who love their speedway.

:cheers:

Thanks mate. I have to say you were one of many that took time to answer my questions and offered great moot points. Cheers!

I didn't say anything about other sports - where do you get that from???

To be fair, you didn't. What you did say, though, was that speedway's rule book takes away any sense of fair play. Looking at it through the eyes of a football (or most other sports fans), you might well be right.

Looking at it through the eyes of a speedway fan, however, I could make a decent argument that the double points rule does precisely the opposite as it evens up the significant advantage the shape, size and preparation of tracks creates.

As I have said, though, neither doubling up or tactical changes are new. In fact, they have been around for 50 years.

Why on earth can we not have Speedway with NO Tactical Rides (Double Points) or Tactical Substitutes or Jokers in the World Cup - if a Team is getting a hammering - so be it. That Team might hammer someone else the following week. It's called Sport.

The Result of the Meeting would be decided by Points actually scored then - not contrived, fiddled, cheated and would be at the very least FAIR.

You can. And then we can all sit and complain about one sided hammerings with no point in staying after about heat 6.

I repeat: tactical changes have been in force in speedway for half a century. They're not new, novel or bizarre. There is sound, reasoned thinking behind them and that's why we still have them.

To give an example, I was at Belle Vue last Monday week. At heat 6, Poole were up by 10. No tactical changes, and there would have been every chance that the meeting would have been an entirely dead rubber with the Aces, in particular, going through the motions. We've all seen it.

A tactical change in the next heat, an 8-1 to Belle Vue and it was game on. A thoroughly enthralling and riveting match was the result.

No doubt the undeniably beneficial effect the TR had in that meeting sticks in the craw of every fan who dislikes tactical changes but there's one thing that none of them can argue with: they can and have on many occasions had the effect of transforming a crap, one sided meeting into something far better.

On that basis alone, why would anyone even think of getting rid of them ?

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 3

To be fair, you didn't. What you did say, though, was that speedway's rule book takes away any sense of fair play. Looking at it through the eyes of a football (or most other sports fans), you might well be right.

Looking at it through the eyes of a speedway fan, however, I could make a decent argument that the double points rule does precisely the opposite as it evens up the significant advantage the shape, size and preparation of tracks creates.

As I have said, though, neither doubling up or tactical changes are new. In fact, they have been around for 50 years.

You can. And then we can all sit and complain about one sided hammerings with no point in staying after about heat 6.

I repeat: tactical changes have been in force in speedway for half a century. They're not new, novel or bizarre. There is sound, reasoned thinking behind them and that's why we still have them.

To give an example, I was at Belle Vue last Monday week. At heat 6, Poole were up by 10. No tactical changes, and there would have been every chance that the meeting would have been an entirely dead rubber with the Aces, in particular, going through the motions. We've all seen it.

A tactical change in the next heat, an 8-1 to Belle Vue and it was game on. A thoroughly enthralling and riveting match was the result.

No doubt the undeniably beneficial effect the TR had in that meeting sticks in the craw of every fan who dislikes tactical changes but there's one thing that none of them can argue with: they can and have on many occasions had the effect of transforming a crap, one sided meeting into something far better.

On that basis alone, why would anyone even think of getting rid of them ?

I think in my day a number one coming in on his choice of gate in heat number eight was the norm most away sides some were very weak this always happened.Now a home team can do everything right yet get punished by a tactical move in one hit, like i said in the old days a 1.5 could happen gain four points now it is a real match changer is that right? Sport is brutal that is how it should be i see Reading get murdered at Hyde Rd 57.23 when they were both going for the title that's what sport is about.

I'd be happy to see a return of the old tac sub rule, and a point for aggregate win

I don't recall doubling up creating the need for guest riders much more than a few years ago, certainly not 50 years!

The old tac sub rule saw reserves miss out on their races, that's not right surely? And cost the promoters extra money.

Current rule much better with only one chance of tightening the meeting.

The old tac sub rule saw reserves miss out on their races, that's not right surely? And cost the promoters extra money.

Current rule much better with only one chance of tightening the meeting.

Contriving to tighten the Meeting would be a better way of putting it.

Rewarding poor performance.