British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
DutchGrasstrack

2016 Sgp Swc Calendar & Info's

The infrastructure was put in for the Olympics to get people in and out of the venue with ease though, you can get there in 5 minutes on a train from Kings Cross, would only take me 13 minutes from Kent. and there would be no shortage of hotels, also most people could, if they liked still travel home on the late train if they wished.

No roof though. The cost of hiring a large stadium is likely to be such that the organisers need to guarantee that it'll go ahead.

Well okay, BSI have admittedly managed to have two abandoned meetings in indoor stadia, and one that was nearly abandoned, but you get the picture...

I don't know if it's been mentioned elsewhere. But is the plan for Melbourne to be the final GP for the next 5 seasons? Or could it be switched to March?

Melbourne has the opening F1 GP in late March. Have to see what sort of crowd we get at Etihad speedway GP. I think October is a good timing at the moment.

Cardiff SGP was on same weekend as Silverstone F1. I know different fan base, but did it impact on crowd at Cardiff?

Melbourne has the opening F1 GP in late March. Have to see what sort of crowd we get at Etihad speedway GP. I think October is a good timing at the moment.

Cardiff SGP was on same weekend as Silverstone F1. I know different fan base, but did it impact on crowd at Cardiff?

AFL starts in March, and the Ethiad is the home stadium for about four teams so is used every weekend during the season.

My issue is he Europeans bank roll the GPs all year and have done for 20 years now yet the Aussies get to see the title won. Cardiff has been the biggest GP for about 15 years and yet we still don't get the last GP. It's a kick in the teeth.

STADIUM availability is a critical factor although I would certainly agree that it's disappointing that the final round will be held outside of Europe.

I wouldn't mind seeing Stockholm getting Cardiff's early July slot and then move Cardiff to September and a possible second Swedish GP to late August.

I wouldn't mind seeing Stockholm getting Cardiff's early July slot and then move Cardiff to September and a possible second Swedish GP to late August.

DOUBT that Cardiff would be available in September or that it would attract a bigger crowd even if it was.

For normal meetings but they can bring in a temp stand or seating for special events, but not sure if it will be anywhere near 25000.

One other problem in not having a roof is the problem of the weather. Tonight they have another rain off, that is 50% of their meetings cancelled so far this season, who is going to risk travelling with a record like that. I know it can rain anywhere but they do seem to get a lot in that area.

A bit like Vojens then

AFL starts in March, and the Ethiad is the home stadium for about four teams so is used every weekend during the season.

My issue is he Europeans bank roll the GPs all year and have done for 20 years now yet the Aussies get to see the title won. Cardiff has been the biggest GP for about 15 years and yet we still don't get the last GP. It's a kick in the teeth.

STADIUM availability is a critical factor although I would certainly agree that it's disappointing that the final round will be held outside of Europe.

AFL is played in March, however it is only a pre season knockout competition, and these fixtures could be moved if needed. When the season proper starts usually in April, the stadium is played on 2 or 3 times a week, all the way through to September. In Melbourne, nothing interferes with the footy. You can see the problem this would pose for track preparation.

When the AFL season is over, soccer (Melbourne Victory) play there a lot. For example, the weekend preceding, and the weekend immediately after the SGP on the 24 October, are Melbourne home games. Like all major stadiums it is busy. Late October is the best time available for the stadium management to fit it in. It is also a good time for Australian speedway really, as it leads nicely into the start of our speedway season in November and the end of the very long European speedway season.

As for the final round being held in Australia; why not? The advertising says it all "Speedway is coming home." Any way the title may well have already been decided by the time it arrives. Always a risk being last in line. Really i don't think speedway fans here would mind if we were first, fifth or last meeting, so long as we get a SGP round. More of an availability issue i think.

BSI as i understand are American owned and clearly channel the profit from SGP into the parent company. I know from the press here that the AFL tennant teams at Etihad Stadium are not happy with the financial arrangements with the stadium management company, who take the far greater share of gate receipts. Given this setting BSI must have some good negotiators to get a deal which they believe will be profitable. Speedway in Australia will not profit directly from the SGP in Melbourne, because like Europe, we are funding BSI to put the travelling show on. But indirectly we may profit from increased interest, media and sponsorship. Whatever the case, i hope we get the attendance to make it work for everyone.

Australia is a part of the international speedway scene, with a far greater pedigree than Slovenia, Croatia, Italy, Latvia etc... and we deserve our own SGP round even if Europe have the majority of the rounds. All good for the sport.

When the AFL season is over, soccer (Melbourne Victory) play there a lot. For example, the weekend preceding, and the weekend immediately after the SGP on the 24 October, are Melbourne home games.

Oh dear. it means less then a week to lay and prepare the track for racing! Back to the good old system aka Warsaw and not Cardiff 2015. Is this going to be a repeat of Warsaw.

BSI as i understand are American owned and clearly channel the profit from SGP into the parent company.

BSI is owned by IMG's UK subsidiary (actually via another holding company) which made substantial losses on other activities in recent years, so one suspects that's where the profits ended up.

I know from the press here that the AFL tennant teams at Etihad Stadium are not happy with the financial arrangements with the stadium management company, who take the far greater share of gate receipts. Given this setting BSI must have some good negotiators to get a deal which they believe will be profitable.

The AFL is guaranteeing 2 or 3 matches a week in the Etihad over a long term period, and the AFL teams feel they should be getting a better deal. They've also been grumbling about the state of the pitch, cost of catering, and problems with the roof.

Having said that, the AFL will assume ownership of the stadium for a token $1 at the end of 2025, and how quickly the reasons from moving from VFL Park have been forgotten.

All of these issues though, may be less of a concern with a one-off event, although I'm surprised that BSI think they can make it pay.

Australia is a part of the international speedway scene, with a far greater pedigree than Slovenia, Croatia, Italy, Latvia etc... and we deserve our own SGP round even if Europe have the majority of the rounds.

I don't think anyone would disagree with that, and if there's only one realistic timeslot, then that's the way it's got to be.

• Like 1

Oh dear. it means less then a week to lay and prepare the track for racing! Back to the good old system aka Warsaw and not Cardiff 2015. Is this going to be a repeat of Warsaw.

I also notice they have the Horsens track in place well before the event. The weather is a little warmer here than Warsaw, maybe that will help.

Edited by Ozrik

BSI is owned by IMG's UK subsidiary (actually via another holding company) which made substantial losses on other activities in recent years, so one suspects that's where the profits ended up.

The AFL is guaranteeing 2 or 3 matches a week in the Etihad over a long term period, and the AFL teams feel they should be getting a better deal. They've also been grumbling about the state of the pitch, cost of catering, and problems with the roof.

Having said that, the AFL will assume ownership of the stadium for a token $1 at the end of 2025, and how quickly the reasons from moving from VFL Park have been forgotten.

All of these issues though, may be less of a concern with a one-off event, although I'm surprised that BSI think they can make it pay.

I don't think anyone would disagree with that, and if there's only one realistic timeslot, then that's the way it's got to be.

At least the money stays in UK then. FIM should charge BSI and Onesport some sort staging fee and then share part of that money back to various national speedway bodies. Something like that any way.

You know a lot about Aussie Rules for an Englishman.

FIM should charge BSI and Onesport some sort staging fee and then share part of that money back to various national speedway bodies. Something like that any way.

The FIM does charge BSI a fee, and pays the GP prize money out of it. The rest goes into its coffers.

The relationship of OneSport is with FIM Europe, which is the former UEM. Presumably they pay some sort of fee was well.

You know a lot about Aussie Rules for an Englishman.

Been watching it since the eighties ;)

• Like 1

The FIM does charge BSI a fee, and pays the GP prize money out of it. The rest goes into its coffers.

The relationship of OneSport is with FIM Europe, which is the former UEM. Presumably they pay some sort of fee was well.

Been watching it since the eighties ;)

So BSI don't pay the riders anything? Pity the leagues, BSPA or such, dont get anything from it. I now begin to understand why so many of you believe the SGP series has contributed to the decline in British league speedway.

In effect the SGP has reduced the prestige of the various national leagues.

Edited by Ozrik