British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
lucifer sam

Scunthorpe Scorpions Vs Peterborough Panthers ( P L) - Friday, July 10th (7.30pm)

f ever a guy and team needed and deserved a break ! And how they got it.

Rob Godfrey (Gail and all those others behind the scenes too) deserves a medal the size of a dustbin lid for what he has done to the EWR over the last decade, in a thankless task !

The early racing wasn't perhaps as good as usual, both teams seemingly cancelling each other out with Peterborough's guests edging the visitors ahead in the middle of the meeting.

Heat 9 typified Scunthorpe's woes this year - Alex Davies was cruising to a much needed win (for him and the team) with Wilko chasing Tungate hard for a 4-2 heat advantage that could have handed the Scorpions some momentum, before his chain went and heads and hearts sank around the whole stadium.

We have been unlucky with injuries, barely tracking a fit 1-7, this hasn't helped. We have also looked a little under power mechanically, this year compared to visiting teams - could it be argued a team not scoring doesn't get paid so well so can't maintain equipment as well as others ? We don't quite look as quick at times ?

However Heats 13,14 & 15 will live long in the memory for ALL the right reasons

There was racing, blood (likely literally given the all 4 back) sweat (on and off track on a balmy evening) and tears (of joy and elation no doubt) passion (Thomas' & Flyin' Ryan as well as Wilko & Willo fist pumping testosterone all up the home straights) and plenty of drama (breathtaking passing through the smallest of gaps) and heart stopping moments (I actually thought Rob had thrown a keeler when I saw him laid on the centre green :rofl: )

To turn a 32-40 deficit into a 47-43 win from there against ALL the odds was Boy's Own stuff

with Tungate on fire and to race twice, Ostegaard, dialled in and un-passable when in front also to race twice, and the prospect of Kus (paid 14 from 5) it looked an insurmountable task.

Nobody told the Scorpions it seems as the prodigal Dane, Thomas Jorgensen (making a timely much needed return to top the bill and show what he means to us and what we mean to him) and Ryan Douglas absolutely blew Heats 13 and 15 away in style - both of them finding gaps and speed to force themselves home to two HUGE 5-1's

Sandwiched in the middle was Heat 14, another stunner, Wilko NEVER EVER knows when he's beaten and took a fine win, what happened behind though was equally memorable, Simon Lambert & Adam Roynon were all over Ben Wilson who looked to be a little slower than both. How he defended and changed lines was a testament to the whole team really, he showed such track craft and know how as the lads roared him home. :party:

The cap to the proceedings (not least the Ryan and Thomas show in Heat 15) was the track walk that culminated in the crowd walk - a fitting and emotional end to a night that just may see the sparks of the saving of speedway in Scunthorpe !

AWESOME ! is a superlative that springs to mind

If Carlsberg did speedway !! :drink:

Stolen all my thunder here duffy; great write up; what an absolute stormer this was at the end; the right racing; the right riders; the right fans at the right time. No wonder Rob was flat on his face on the centre green flabbergasted and thanking the speedway Gods for coming up with this.

Let me tell you; Robs not been alone this week; I think we have all been down in the dumps over everything; and then ALONG CAME TOMMY - our very own TNT Tommy blows us all away ! (please excuse VIZ reference). But he did; and I was delighted to be patting him on the back and shaking his hand. What a spot on gesture by the riders to walk into the crowd at the finish. Tommy beaming ear to ear and genuinely happy to join in the celebrations.

Two great rides from our returning Top Gun; twice linking up with Ryan; first I Heat13, Ryan tearing round the outside of Ostegarrd and then Tommy Gun diving on the inside of his Danish counterpart on turn three. Seriously I thought Tommy would wipe Ostergarrd out there. But brilliant to watch. Then Wilko and Wily in Heat14 catch the wave; pull through with another 5-1 to keep the great escape on, I fancied Wily to come up with the goods and he just would not bow to the excellent Simon Lamberts attempts to pass him! covering every angle.

So its all down to the wire and Ryan's back out with Tommy the Gun (just great to have him back) against Kus/Tungate for Panthers. BOOM Ryan's off and out the pack and off round the outside of Tungate on turn two. Tommy chases down Tungate and gives it the big licks off turn two lap two to get in behind Ryan for 5-1 and the Scorpions pull of one of greatest three heat comebacks from the dead I have ever witnessed in my time on the speedways.

It just was such a great night last night; and personally I want to thank the Rob and the management team; all of the riders; the presentation team; every single fan that turned up to support the meeting (one from Arizona for goodness sake and the chap from Bristol) your all legends for me. This was the very best of times at what is for the club the very worst of times. But if we can keep the #savethescorpions campaign moving and over the last six meetings keep together there might; just might be a future.

Can I pick up on a little piece of fine detail that I loved about last night; you will all laugh but I really liked the time taken by Rob and the team to try to make the EWR look a little bit tidier (not that it is untidy usually) but just that little bit more; painting the wooden decking opposite the start gate. Thank you to who ever did that; nice touch. As I have said IF we had a future; I might wander down to the football stadium at Glanford Park when it closes and see if there's a row of two or seats; or even a stand we could nab to add a little bit more comfort to surroundings and we have great little stadium for speedway in the EWR.

It was also great to greet the riders like that ! connects them to us and they actually loved doing it I believe. We are all together on this and it showed.

Good to see Josh out putting in some hard laps after the meeting; we will miss Tommy but it will be great to get Josh back for the rest of the season. Like signing a new rider for me. It is important to have a Scunthorpe 1-7 on the track; I think we all recognise that. I had to laugh when Rob; commented that Tommy's back here next year; I hope your right Rob; I hope your right and that might mean we all are.

Tell you what; I am on holiday in Northmberland in three weeks; and definitely nipping into Berwick to watch our Tommy the Gun Jorgensen. TNT Tommy he blows yer away !

Thank you for last night; we're buzzing.

Edited by the outsider
  • Like 2

good shout about galnford park outsider, what happens to the seats etc when it gets knocked down? sold, given away, reused? maybe in the off season if we carry on we could do a fans clean and paint day? dont newcastle do that? at weekends we come down with a paint brush or two and spruce it up,

also everyone who attends a meeting has to realise what rob does, its not just turning up maybe an hour before a meeting like we do, he is there bascially 24/7 53 weeks of the year,its his baby and we need to back him,

one good thing to come of this is we are all talking now and it is out there for all to see, radio 1 now, this forum, facebook and twitter, hopefully robs love of the sport has been rekindled with that, same as those who have stayed away, they know the racing is spot on, if its because a certain rider or riders dont race now or because ones injured or because we may not win this week so im not paying to find out,get back down to us, time is not on your side to sit it out until we do have a rider you like, back rob and the team, also please dont leave just as heat 15 is starting if you really dont have too, people moan that there are not crowd or rider interaction,when we win a match the riders will do a victory walk, its wasnt a one off,they will walk through the crowd, congratulate them , shake their hands, everyone rider really does appreciate it, if youre on the 1st or 2nd bends get down to the start line just after the flag.

on little moan though.. cant remember if rider theme tunes were played, please pump em out when we do.

2006 Ht13 7-2 Ht 14 5-1 Ht 15 5-1 and the Panthers are Elite Lge Champions

Nothing will beat that night for years to come!!!!!!

good shout about galnford park outsider, what happens to the seats etc when it gets knocked down? sold, given away, reused? maybe in the off season if we carry on we could do a fans clean and paint day? dont newcastle do that? at weekends we come down with a paint brush or two and spruce it up,

also everyone who attends a meeting has to realise what rob does, its not just turning up maybe an hour before a meeting like we do, he is there bascially 24/7 53 weeks of the year,its his baby and we need to back him,

one good thing to come of this is we are all talking now and it is out there for all to see, radio 1 now, this forum, facebook and twitter, hopefully robs love of the sport has been rekindled with that, same as those who have stayed away, they know the racing is spot on, if its because a certain rider or riders dont race now or because ones injured or because we may not win this week so im not paying to find out,get back down to us, time is not on your side to sit it out until we do have a rider you like, back rob and the team, also please dont leave just as heat 15 is starting if you really dont have too, people moan that there are not crowd or rider interaction,when we win a match the riders will do a victory walk, its wasnt a one off,they will walk through the crowd, congratulate them , shake their hands, everyone rider really does appreciate it, if youre on the 1st or 2nd bends get down to the start line just after the flag.

on little moan though.. cant remember if rider theme tunes were played, please pump em out when we do.[/quote

Could not agree more. I think last night really could be the moment to galvanise Scunny fans. If we run year I truly believe fans will be willing become more involved in helping spruce the track up. I think last celebrations were at least equal to when we won the league. Like many others, I am still buzzing.

• Like 1

i dont like to slag riders off, all are heroes but when it comes to guests how many would pass like jorgy did for a 5.1?did he have too? no, did he want too? yep, i believe birksy would, tofty would, barker would, they are racers, some would of settled for 3d and the points pay.jorgy HAS to be back, the fans relate to him, same as josh, same as ryan,same as birks, same as tofty,.wilcko is scunny through and through and will give and support scunny 110%, jorgy and ryan need to be pairing, and im sure they are best mates,give the stay awayfans what they want and they will return,

Just one thing amongst all the superlatives and excitment of last night. Did we overlook mentioning the passing of former Scunthorpe Saint Jolly Jack Bywater earlier in the week. Apologies if we did and I missed it RIP Jack.

• Like 2

Up to heat 13, I didn't think this was the best meeting I had seen at Scunny by a long chalk. The racing was OK, but Peterborough - with Ostergaard, Tungate & Kus dominant - were just too good and I really didn't see anyway that the Scorpions were going to get anything out of it.

Then the whole thing exploded.

Three pulsating races - especially a screamer in heat 14 - later, and Scunny had staged a smash and grab and won. Brilliant stuff, and no wonder Mr Godfrey needed a lie down :approve::D

I will be attempting to go to about 4 of the last 6 meetings at EWR and I hope a few others will come too (the attendance tonight seemed better than when I have been before) as it would be a crying shame if - and here Mr Godfrey & I very much agree - our best racing track closes.

You going next week?

well done Scunny.... ;)

Sounds like a great meeting!! :t:

Cheers.

It was a great meeting, and the timing couldn't have been better... you could visibly see the spirits of the Scunny fans and management rise over those last three races :t: And it was terrific to see Rob G with a big smile on his face after the meeting.

Just hope everyone who came last Friday liked what they saw, and will come back this Friday.

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam
  • Like 3

You going next week?

No - all being well I am off to Coventry for the match against the Brummies.

I should be there against Plymouth, though.

2006 Ht13 7-2 Ht 14 5-1 Ht 15 5-1 and the Panthers are Elite Lge Champions

Nothing will beat that night for years to come!!!!!!

The celebrations at EWR on Friday weren't much behind yours, I'll bet.

No - all being well I am off to Coventry for the match against the Brummies.I should be there against Plymouth, though.

That should be a good one if the 4s is anything to go by with some friendly rivalry in the crowd as well. I'm not going to Plymouth though as I'm off to KL instead!

cheers fella, can i request, 14 and 15 and maybe that david howe classic from last year?.we need to get the entertainment out there