British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SharpenRake

Glasgow V Workington Sunday 12 July 2015 3pm

Further disappointment on the road, poor performances again from far too many riders to even become remotely dangerous?

This is why I can never understand why so many opposition supporters keep saying we have riders who go well at this and that track and should provide a good test when they promptly turn up and dont on far too many occasions?

As for us, we know there is an issue with our riders away form and previous appearances count for nothing, we just "hope" that a result is possible from an "improved" performance but unfortunately that just never materializes for whatever reason on wherever track?

Absolutely no rhyme or reason as to why any Comets team is not capable of challenging for the PL,s honours during any given season, always been widely regarded as having some of the best performers the PL has to offer yet, take it off the paper, put it on the track and....... nothing, they rarely gel in any cohesive fashion whatsoever?

Perhaps that is the problem, too many ego's to massage not enough "genuine" team spirit, not enough willpower/determination to fight for more than your own corner, who knows but whatever happens between now and the end of this season it will go a long way towards determining whether the Comets fans are up for another year of the same old empty promises? :(

As for the promotion, what do you do to keep going, you pick the team that you hope will serve you well and it always falls short, the abilities of the riders are mostly not in doubt but, they just cant seem to work together?

If we do run next time round, complete clear out and start from scratch or, just cut the losses and say well, at least we tried, be a lot of hard thinking to do this season's end that's for sure and the way we're going that could very well be in September rather than October!! :oops:

Glad bjerres ok after very awkward crash.couldnt get off the bike at all. Was worried we were going to have same carnage as the sheffield medting, but track improvrd a bit. Not much racing again im afraid.

looks like the tipsters were correct. L.L.

For me, after seeing this debacle, I believe the Promotion are to soft. Time to kick a#se, the riders are to comfortable thinking they are above being let go. Some of them have egos that are above their ability. Hate to say it but doubt I'll be back to Derwen Park.

Further disappointment on the road, poor performances again from far too many riders to even become remotely dangerous?

This is why I can never understand why so many opposition supporters keep saying we have riders who go well at this and that track and should provide a good test when they promptly turn up and dont on far too many occasions?

As for us, we know there is an issue with our riders away form and previous appearances count for nothing, we just "hope" that a result is possible from an "improved" performance but unfortunately that just never materializes for whatever reason on wherever track?

Absolutely no rhyme or reason as to why any Comets team is not capable of challenging for the PL,s honours during any given season, always been widely regarded as having some of the best performers the PL has to offer yet, take it off the paper, put it on the track and....... nothing, they rarely gel in any cohesive fashion whatsoever?

Perhaps that is the problem, too many ego's to massage not enough "genuine" team spirit, not enough willpower/determination to fight for more than your own corner, who knows but whatever happens between now and the end of this season it will go a long way towards determining whether the Comets fans are up for another year of the same old empty promises? :(

As for the promotion, what do you do to keep going, you pick the team that you hope will serve you well and it always falls short, the abilities of the riders are mostly not in doubt but, they just cant seem to work together?

If we do run next time round, complete clear out and start from scratch or, just cut the losses and say well, at least we tried, be a lot of hard thinking to do this season's end that's for sure and the way we're going that could very well be in September rather than October!! :oops:

You have had the same nucleus of Bach, Wells and Howarth for several years with no success. Bach and Wells were awful last year, I was astounded when Worky announced they were going to bring them back for 2015. The team is lacking a genuine No1 above 8.5 or 9 who can score points on the road and inspire the others. Grajczonek wasn't replaced this year although I'm sure they would have tried and Hansen was never going to be able to fulfil that role.

A clear out is needed for 2016, though you can only do that if riders are willing to come and finances allow. Workington were a top club in the early to mid 2000's, great teams and travelling fans, hopefully they can get half way back to where they were.

When will this team Manager get some balls and sort this team out I don't think he ever will

I presume you are joking. Young Bjerre, Roynon and Lunna will all struggle on a 'doctored' track i.e. one with grip plus Rusty loves dirt. The trouble is Bach, Wells and Wethers will revel in a gate and go track; can't see how we can win this

Well Ok I was totally wrong - on paper comets should have won but we don't race on paper. Really enjoyed it today suppose with speedway its not just the actual racing its the unexpected, the surprise at winning :lol: thought the crowd looked quite big again with a good atmosphere and everyone up for it -even enjoyed the kids race where did they all come from? Sorry for a few fans that came in late as we started bang on 3pm once again. Anyway a pint always slips down better when you least expect it :drink:

looks like the tipsters were correct. L.L.

Not this one Jenga, glad I didn't have any money on it, still doesn't hide the disappointment tho, 1pt at least should have been possible? :(

You have had the same nucleus of Bach, Wells and Howarth for several years with no success. Bach and Wells were awful last year, I was astounded when Worky announced they were going to bring them back for 2015. The team is lacking a genuine No1 above 8.5 or 9 who can score points on the road and inspire the others. Grajczonek wasn't replaced this year although I'm sure they would have tried and Hansen was never going to be able to fulfil that role.

A clear out is needed for 2016, though you can only do that if riders are willing to come and finances allow. Workington were a top club in the early to mid 2000's, great teams and travelling fans, hopefully they can get half way back to where they were.

Absolutely, was convinced after 2014 season that both Howarth and Bach would be seen in pastures new and a team around Josh G created but it never happened, whether the asset thing came into play and, as you suggest, the finances to bring other's to the table wasn't available, just created the same format again for this year?

Dont think the visa argument would have improved matters too much with Campton at reserve from the off, Palm Toft moving elsewhere might not have helped either but fundamentally the main body of the team has never hit the straps as was hoped they would?

Think we are in the Catch 22 situation now, need crowds to boost the finances but mediocre performances and no stand out figures on the track to support means you dont get that input yet that is the input that generates the cash to attract the best of what's out there to come to you?

I do think it will be a struggle to get going again next season unless something radical happens, maybe try and get Craig Cook back, local lad could be a handy starting point and just go from there!!

Something has to happen because we cant carry on like this, an uncompetitive team doesn't cut the mustard in these parts and empty grounds prove that, success leads to success and that's something we've had in short supply over too many years to be healthy for local sport in general, it has to change and I for one hope it does!! ;)

Great result from a patched up Glasgow side, special mention to Richard Lawson and Aaron Summers who scored 31 points between them, All the guests done there job too, Summers first two bends in heat 15 were superb, and to think there was one or two Glasgow fans at the start of the season who said he couldn't ride Ashfield lol

• Like 2

Great result from a patched up Glasgow side, special mention to Richard Lawson and Aaron Summers who scored 31 points between them, All the guests done there job too, Summers first two bends in heat 15 were superb, and to think there was one or two Glasgow fans at the start of the season who said he couldn't ride Ashfield lol

also seem to remember seeing aaron summers spend 5 or 10 minutes on the centre green helping one of the junior riders who had bike issues in the 2nd half at the Sheffield meeting perhaps? didn't have to do it, credit where its due, and riding well as you say.