British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Elstree Speedway, Herts, 1947

Nine meetings took place on a track which had been prepared by a local farmer pouring oil on to a grassy field. The only covered accommodation was a canvas marquee which served as a dressing room and everything else. The first meeting was held on 10 August and included Freddie Williams, Bill Kitchen, Cyril Brine, Tiger Hart, Bob Wells and Roy Craighead. All nine meetings were refereed by Arthur Humphries.

Although speedway did not return the following season, or ever again come to that, the meetings were well attended and had sideshows such as beauty contests and knobbly knees competitions.

Any one know of any programmes of Elstree ? Don't even think John Somerville has anything from this venue!

Never seen any. I wonder if they actually had any?

Nope, just had a look at John's list, if any one would have had one John would!

Nothing on John Skinners excellent site defunct tracks either!

Nine meetings took place on a track which had been prepared by a local farmer pouring oil on to a grassy field. The only covered accommodation was a canvas marquee which served as a dressing room and everything else. The first meeting was held on 10 August and included Freddie Williams, Bill Kitchen, Cyril Brine, Tiger Hart, Bob Wells and Roy Craighead. All nine meetings were refereed by Arthur Humphries.

Although speedway did not return the following season, or ever again come to that, the meetings were well attended and had sideshows such as beauty contests and knobbly knees competitions.

Were the meetings reported in the speedway press - plenty around at the time including 'Speedway Gazette,' 'Speedway News'. 'Speedway World'. 'Speedway Reporter' and 'The Broadsider'!

Were the meetings reported in the speedway press - plenty around at the time including 'Speedway Gazette,' 'Speedway News'. 'Speedway World'. 'Speedway Reporter' and 'The Broadsider'!

I'm biting at the bit to find a programme on this one!

I've just checked my 1947 copies of Speedway News and Speedway World and can't find a single mention of Elstree.

Though I did come across this little snippet from Speedway World, 27 August 1947, "Fred Williams, the Wembley lad, made his bow in the team on Thursday, coming in as a reserve, and although not setting the Stadium alight, looks the right type to make the grade." You know, I think they could be right there!

• Like 2

Never seen any. I wonder if they actually had any?

There must have been some sort of race card i would have thought ?

On 7/11/2015 at 10:05 AM, sommelier said:

There must have been some sort of race card i would have thought ?

Here's prog cover of 1st meeting - unfortunately no heat dets.

eles.thumb.jpg.30f33c5cf90591c9d3512d02ed428650.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cyclone said:

Here's prog cover of 1st meeting - unfortunately no heat dets.

eles.thumb.jpg.30f33c5cf90591c9d3512d02ed428650.jpg

Wow! So there was a prog! Great find - and a great lineup...