British Speedway Forum

A post from Barry Wright on Twitter, according to Jessie (Lewis' wife) mum :

"It's early days but the head scans on Lewis were ok.going to try and wake him slowly.checking for any neck injury"

That's the first bridge crossed on the road to recovery. The first positive news we have heard since the crash. Fingers crossed, more will follow.

We're all thinking of you mate...........

• Like 4

@bazzywright7: Lewis was brought out of coma. He did respond briefly. But couldn't breath without aid of machine. Put under again with constant monitoring

Really hope we hear something more positive soon 🙏🙏😞

good to clear the head scans are clear fingers crossed he can regain consciousness soon.

we criticise promotions and the BSPA (often with justification) and at times the riders...

BUT let us remember the risks these guys take to make a living and for our entertainment whilst we enjoy a drink and carp from the sidelines, our the keyboard.

Serious smashes like these are very sobering and a dose of reality for everyone who is associated with speedway and its addictive nature. it`s Ben Fund time soon so time to dig a wee bit deeper to help those riders who have been hurt on the track

Get well and home soon lewis, back to family and riding later if you can and want to...

• Like 3

Fenway Bleachers,It's because of accidents and the fact we care about riders safety that we partly have criticism for the BSPA/SCB as at times they seem to have very little concern for it.

Riders should always come first.

Good point made about Ben Fund, they do an amazing job. Hope everybody digs deep.

Edited by mdmc82

Sincere best wishes to Lewis for a full recovery.

Despite all of our petty squabbles on here, it is with great pride that I feel part of the 'speedway family' on such occasions as this.

The collective arms of all supporters are with you Lewis.

Fight on.

• Like 5

Having witnessed more serious accidents than I care to remember, I know full well that tragedy may be only a heart beat away every time riders take to the track.

In common with all forum members I have the utmost respect for all riders, wherever they ride and at whatever level.

My thoughts and prayers go to Lewis and his family.

• Like 2

its good to see the speedway family pulling together for lewis. all to often we , as supporters lock horns with each other. but over the last day or so we have all joined hands as one.

hope lewis makes a full recovery and can continue his chosen sport. things were looking good in regards his improvement in the sport. may his health continue at the same rapid rate..

also hope josh can keep positive

lewis kerr... speedy recovery .

• Like 3

My apologies to TWK and any others for my stupidity in writing Rose rather than Kerr. Tonight is not the time for such carelessness.

Goodness no apology need HD.

I only pointed it out to avoid confusion for anyone starting from that Page.

Typos happen all the time. I only hope that I did not upset you by Posting the correction.

All the best.

Ian.

Just seen report on local TV news, which also showed footage of the crash - Looked to me like Josh came into bend fast but then track conditions meant he just slid into Lewis which resulted in the crash, footage only showed Lewis going out of frame.

No further news given than what is already known. I would guess this will be on again at 6.30 - BBC Look North (Newcastle)

Best Wishes to Lewis & all his family

Terrible news to read about.

I hope we hear some positive news in the coming days, thinking of Lewis and his family.

Lunchtime Look East led with Lewis's plight with their sports reporter James Burridge reporting from inside the Showground complex but not inside the track.

In terms of the news agenda, there was nothing wrong with Look North grouping together several on-going crime stories at the top of their order before moving onto the speedway crash ... it was just that the rest of Look East's bulletin looked like they had nothing to rival the latest court appearance of Sunderland footballer Adam Johnson or the Cumbrian music festival drugs story that's featured prominently since Friday so that's simply why the two regions placed the same story differently within their schedule.

Plans were being sketched out last night and early today to co-ordinate any BBC regional coverage between the Newcastle and Norwich newsrooms because while Lewis was riding yesterday for a Look North team, it's the Look East area that covers all of his home village, his Elite League team, the crash venue and the hospital now caring for him ... ReRun Productions (yesterday's meeting-DVD company) and GRT Media (plenty of recent footage of Lewis's Diamonds action) were immediately included in those plans.

For those elsewhere in the UK not used to these particular regional news bulletins, it's Sky-955 for the North East & Cumbria edition of Look North made in Newcastle (not 956 for the Yorkshire edition from Leeds or 957 for the Yorks/Lincs edition from Hull) ... both the eastern (961) and western (962) halves of Look East had the same lunchtime bulletin but I'm not sure if they still split part/all of their 6.30pm programme.

Meanwhile, best wishes to Lewis and his family/friends in such difficult times.

Edited by arthur cross