British Speedway Forum

I cannot see this elsewhere - if it has appeared, please advise and I will utilise the HIDE facility.

http://www.lynnnews.co.uk/news/local/king-s-lynn-stars-lewis-kerr-up-and-walking-days-after-horrific-crash-at-peterborough-speedway-1-6892520

The picture article is up earlier, but that does not matter. It is certainly worth posting more than once. Such good news is always welcome.

• Like 1

could you not put a bit of sand in, I take it that it should remain quite dry inside the panels, so on impact it would move freely ?

how is the sand going to be distributed evenly inside the air bag ? how are they going to put it in the air bag ? its sealed. .. with the constant moving of the air bag, all the sand will end up in one spot. more manpower and time needed to get the air bags up after meetings and then put back down for the next meeting. a chain is only as strong as its weakest link..unfortunate accident, but you can never stop accidents, that's why they call them accidents.. super recovery from lewis kerr .keep it going.

The main problem is the airbag lifting when a bike hits it before the rider. There must be a way of securing the bag to the track so it becomes impossible to lift up. It cant be too hard to fix it down with screws, sping loaded ties or something like it.

JENGA,,,

ok, what about using 'shot pellets', or something similar that wont be blown around inside the bag, but heavy enough to let gravity disperse it ?

there will be a simple way that would work, surely, rather than fastening it down securely in the first place,,,

any sort of 'scheme' would use more manpower, or add cost to things,,, I suggested sand, as at Newcastle we could've just 'borrowed' some from the dog track ;)

Tsunami and another poster who's name escapes me have both posted that the panels come with strapping of some sort attached to the bottom and then attached to whatever is behind it fencewise. Tsunami said in his post it was a karabiner type attachment. So to my untrained eye I suspect the bottom straps of the fence should be attached to the suitable points on whatever is behind then when the panel is partially inflated the top straps are attached.

Edited by Triple.H.

Tsunami and another poster who's name escapes me have both posted that the panels come with strapping of some sort attached to the bottom and then attached to whatever is behind it fencewise. Tsunami said in his post it was a karabiner type attachment. So to my untrained eye I suspect the bottom straps of the fence should be attached to the suitable points on whatever is behind then when the panel is partially inflated the top straps are attached.

I think Tsunami said they were attached to the 'kick boards' behind the Air Fence to keep the Air Fence from lifting.

maybe have the air fences recessed into the ground. what ever way its done , there will always be something that cant be done . the answers out there, but not today. good topic though.

maybe have the air fences recessed into the ground. what ever way its done , there will always be something that cant be done . the answers out there, but not today. good topic though.

That was going to be my next idea, about a foot deep ???

I think Tsunami said they were attached to the 'kick boards' behind the Air Fence to keep the Air Fence from lifting.

its not attached to the 'kick boards',,, strapping from the bottom runs under and behind the kick boards and wire fencing, then connects at the top, to a shorter strap,,,

• Like 1

2nd thoughts.. that will leave a foot of fence exposed at thre top. shorter fences. dont think its going to work..

2nd thoughts.. that will leave a foot of fence exposed at thre top. shorter fences. dont think its going to work..

I think at Newcastle, it might be ok,,, not everywhere is the same and I don't think there's a problem with lifting at Newcastle, but you could still go under it :(

Edited by ruffdiamond

i think that's me done with air bags n stuff.

A pleasing crowd turned out tonight for our first home meeting since Lewey's accident. I think the wrist band thing pretty much sold out with presumably more on order. A message was read out from his missus thanking all for their support and the Ben Fund looked to be well supported with paper money seen in many bags. A worthy cause for sure.

A pleasing crowd turned out tonight for our first home meeting since Lewey's accident. I think the wrist band thing pretty much sold out with presumably more on order. A message was read out from his missus thanking all for their support and the Ben Fund looked to be well supported with paper money seen in many bags. A worthy cause for sure.

So where are you last night. Thought you were coming along to inspect the fence. If you were buying a wrist band I'll let you off.

No. The kick board is only there to stiffen the mesh wire fence. The strapping is sown onto the bottom of the air fence panel, and goes under the kick board, and about 18inches up the back of the mesh fence it is attached to the fence with a karabiner fastening for easy removal. In a 5 metre length panel there are 4 straps per panel. Our fence does not ride up, and a rider can't hit the fence as in the case of accidents that are prompting the comments. Of course we should all be looking for safety improvements, but really we haven't got a lifting problem that needs to be solved.

Air fence panels now are the legal height for fences. It you did a trench, they are not then legal height, and therefore obsolete and illegal.

Edited by Tsunami
  • Like 2

So where are you last night. Thought you were coming along to inspect the fence. If you were buying a wrist band I'll let you off.

No. The kick board is only there to stiffen the mesh wire fence. The strapping is sown onto the bottom of the air fence panel, and goes under the kick board, and about 18inches up the back of the mesh fence it is attached to the fence with a karabiner fastening for easy removal. In a 5 metre length panel there are 4 straps per panel. Our fence does not ride up, and a rider can't hit the fence as in the case of accidents that are prompting the comments. Of course we should all be looking for safety improvements, but really we haven't got a lifting problem that needs to be solved.

Air fence panels now are the legal height for fences. It you did a trench, they are not then legal height, and therefore obsolete and illegal.

Thanks for that Dave - I was working from memory of something you Posted ages ago. Many apologies.

I should know better relying on my memory these days and misquoting you.

Sorry mate.

• Like 1