British Speedway Forum
lucifer sam

Scunthorpe Scorpions Vs Ipswich Witches ( P L) - Friday, July 17th (7.30pm)

today,s ref cannot multi task . refs have to log all race records in the programme. not someone else. all the good stuff happens when you look down to fill in your programme and then you have to rely on what other people seen. video footage should be available from scunny.

do not know how you can fine some one for their actions on some one else's hear say of what they seen.

tungate was lucky to stay in the meeting , from what i have heard .

you have to remember all those years ago that a youngish josh auty was having every body off during races. looks like he doesn't like being the victim at all... if you want to give it out, you have to be prepared to take it.. rohans manoeuvre seems to have been a careless one after the race. but when the adrenalin is flowing it take over the mind even the most mild mannered person.

• Like 2

Good to see the boy Rohan getting 'stuck-in' after quite a few weeks riding round like a pizza delivery boy on a moped. Happy days, long may it continue.

• Like 2

As I said it was an assumption. There are other officials in attendance - start Marshall etc

To turn your argument round, IF Tungate was at fault should he get off scot free because the ref didn't see it?

If he didn't see it, yes. Sport is littered with incidents where punishable incidents go unpunished because the referee didn't see said incidents.

Unless there is video evidence which can be viewed after the event.

The bottom line is, a referee should NOT be allowed to issues fines for incidents that he didn't see it's as simple as that.

There is video evidence it seems and that will now be viewed.

If the authorities disagree with Tungate's version of events and in their minds, the footage conclusively shows that Tungate deliberately knocked off another rider after the race, then they will issue sufficient punishment.

But it has to be conclusive. Reading the comments on here, particularly from HT who as a neutral was left in no doubt that Tungate intentionally knocked Auty off, then if that it was the footage shows and the SCB are also left in no doubt then Tungate will be rightly punished for those actions.

He will then have to accept any punishment that comes his way and so will Ipswich.

• Like 2

I wasn't filling my programme in at the time of the incident I was still cheering for the 5 1, as were lots of our fans that was stood on the open stand. I can assure you that Alex and Josh were on the back straight when Tungate charged with speed coming out the bends and heading straight for Josh. It was deliberate regardless as to whether he intended to hurt him. That's not the point! He should have been thrown out of the meeting. The ref lost control and failed to calm the fans. The sad thing about all this is; A really good meeting with loads of passing was ruined. After ht. 10 the score was poised ( 30 - 30 ) to have a cracking end, one way or the other. But Josh was w/d that left Scunny with no No1 who still had a possible 2 races and had scored a paid max. Mistakes happen in our sport as riders have to make split second decisions. However this was not a racing incident and understandably some people would have missed it, due to filling in the programme. Tungate went on to race against the wishes of fans, playing up to the crowd, made the situation worse. Ipswich should have withdrawn him at least we would be back on a level par and maybe the crowd would have calmed down. Rob Godfrey played a good part in all of this he knows his fans and he knew that by backing them it may help the uneasy situation. Hope Josh is not as badly injured as feared!

Edited by June
  • Like 2

If he didn't see it, yes. Sport is littered with incidents where punishable incidents go unpunished because the referee didn't see said incidents.

Unless there is video evidence which can be viewed after the event.

The bottom line is, a referee should NOT be allowed to issues fines for incidents that he didn't see it's as simple as that.

There is video evidence it seems and that will now be viewed.

If the authorities disagree with Tungate's version of events and in their minds, the footage conclusively shows that Tungate deliberately knocked off another rider after the race, then they will issue sufficient punishment.

But it has to be conclusive. Reading the comments on here, particularly from HT who as a neutral was left in no doubt that Tungate intentionally knocked Auty off, then if that it was the footage shows and the SCB are also left in no doubt then Tungate will be rightly punished for those actions.

He will then have to accept any punishment that comes his way and so will Ipswich.

I agree entirely.

I think you are confusing Peter Clarke (referee) with John Clarke, Coventry's esteemed main team sponsor!

Opps hadn't noticed I'd put the wrong name. Thanks will edit 👍🏻

Edited by mdmc82

Notice the Scunthorpe report doesn't condemn any of their riders for actions in other races, surprise, surprise. If there isn't any video evidence I don't see how any action can be taken as it will be one sides versions against another and they are always going to be different. I don't think the action of the Scunthorpe promoter help either. If he was not happy he should have just lodged his protest and let the meeting continue as we all know a referee never changes his decision.

• Like 1

I'm getting really confused now. The ref saying he didn't see it, but ipswich saying the ref agreed that it was accidental, the ref fines rohan anyway. Someone must be telling fibs or the ref has tried to please both sides?

Someone please post video so we can make our own minds up.

• Like 1

I can assure everyone that last nights astonishing events during the Scunthorpe v Ipswich Premier League meeting have been recorded. They will be uploaded.

However prior to doing so I would wish to know if there are any wider considerations; with regard to putting the evidence onto a public forum; which may be relevant to any subsequent SCB Enquiry. I have viewed the footage and it is possible to form opinion as regards the incidents; and all ensuing events.

Is there any advice out there as to whether this should go onto a public forum at this stage.

I am still thinking everything through; but suffice to say at this stage after the superlatives of Scunthorpe v Peterborough a week ago; we left last night stunned and shaking our heads at what we had witnessed.

Another thing; read the 2015 Speedway Regulations; you will only get to Page 5 Sect 3.3 to understand that the Referee has greater jurisdiction than he chose to exercise last night. I walked back with Peter Clarke (Referee) to his box; and with no histrionics; respectfully reminded him that he had the power to uphold the code of sportsman ship and proper conduct in the arena and therefore he could exclude Rohan Tungate from the meeting. Had he chosen to do so he would have avoided much of what ensued that further brought the sport into disrepute.

Mr Clarke said to me that he had done all that he could in imposing the maximum fine and would be writing his report to the SCB. I beg to differ in his view that he did all he could.

Can't you just upload the footage on youtube... let people search for it?

today,s ref cannot multi task . refs have to log all race records in the programme. not someone else. all the good stuff happens when you look down to fill in your programme and then you have to rely on what other people seen. video footage should be available from scunny.

do not know how you can fine some one for their actions on some one else's hear say of what they seen.

tungate was lucky to stay in the meeting , from what i have heard .

Must try harder.

I'm getting really confused now. The ref saying he didn't see it, but ipswich saying the ref agreed that it was accidental, the ref fines rohan anyway. Someone must be telling fibs or the ref has tried to please both sides?

Someone please post video so we can make our own minds up.

Surprised he got a fine. Louis has lost his touch.......

I am not quite sure how it can be coming into turns 1 & 2. Its either turn 1 or turn 2. It happened part way round turn 2.

Yeah, that's what I meant; it can't be both.

So it deffo happened on the 2nd bend; Tungate is speaking with a forked tongue then.

My My this has sped along since i last posted!!

Getting away from the original running of ht 10 disagreement (although will be relevant later in post) I dont think Rohan expected to wipe auty out how many times do you see riders flick across in front of rider in displeasure after a race but not connect. This time it connected and that makes it a different outcome.

I see outsider said he was walking back with the ref did he show him the footage at all at this point? As for saying the ref didnt see it nearly everyone in the stadium saw it and anyne who did cannot say it was accidental so there would be enough other reliable people to advise the ref (what are linesmen and 4th officals for in football one man cannot see everything)

Will be interesting to see the footage and think as long as it is sent to BSPA in full there is no issue with putting in public domain.

Would be interesting to see it for all the other incidents as well if you have it see who`s versions are correct (although even on sky with multiple angles you still always have disagreements as to who was at fault!)

Also I see Lunna has been fined for his mechanics actions but what about Ash and Wilko they were just as bad?

On to my main point though. Not all tracks have video companies now as the sales are not there so often unless a member of public is filming or the Official photographer is where it happened and has shots then its all done from witnessing it in a blink of an eye.

Therefore should referees have a couple of cameras as part of their kit that they set up in the box to give coverage of the track and just set them recording, at least then if they miss something or are unsure before making a decision they can use the footage they have taken themselves.

We see it in more and more sports now (cricket, rugby, American football) where decisions are reviewed where having more than one offical still doenst mean everything gets seen correctly.

Edited by The Scunthorpe bullet
  • Like 1

Difficult to say having not witnessed it but I have seen a few accidents at the conclusion of the race and a lot of near misses over the years.

The fact the referee has fined and reported Tungate Indicates to me this wasn't viewed as accidental.

yes, incidents after the race has ended - but on the 2nd bend? That's what I was getting at. By all accounts Tungate wasn't exactly slowing down when the collision with Auty's bike happened. I agree that it's difficult to say if we weren't there - but the whole thing stinks, that's for sure.

I remember Joe Screen knocking the arm of Jimmy Nielsson (wrong spelling!!) after a race and jimmy fell to the ground but i dont remember what Joe Screen got in the way of a punishment,anyone remember?

Wasn't Jimmy's friend anymore...