British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TMW

The Mighty Midget (armo) Considers His Future

Lets hope he can find a way to continue.

I have only met him once but I have never heard a bad word about him and have heard many, many good ones.

Speedway can ill afford to lose the likes of Jon Armstrong.

• Like 2

I really hope he does continue somehow, I've seen him a few times and he's very entertaining. Can't his club have a collection for him to help with repair bills?

I hope a way can be found to keep Armo in the sport. He played a major part in the resurrection of the Heathens and his contribution to helping some of the youngsters develop was significant.

The NL would be poorer without him.

• Like 1

I really hope he does continue somehow, I've seen him a few times and he's very entertaining. Can't his club have a collection for him to help with repair bills?

Unfortunately the sort of bills that need to be cleared are not the sort that can be cleared with a hat going around. Poor crowds everywhere in speedway now and especially at Stoke means that crowd collections are not going to bring much.Jon by the looks of it has had problem after problem with machinery. Married with kids riding in a league that does not pay well is a recipe for bad times if things go against you. If I am wrong and I hope I am, thanks for all your efforts for speedway and all those you have entertained and helped over the years.

Unfortunately the sort of bills that need to be cleared are not the sort that can be cleared with a hat going around. Poor crowds everywhere in speedway now and especially at Stoke means that crowd collections are not going to bring much.Jon by the looks of it has had problem after problem with machinery. Married with kids riding in a league that does not pay well is a recipe for bad times if things go against you. If I am wrong and I hope I am, thanks for all your efforts for speedway and all those you have entertained and helped over the years.

how the hell do you run up a 12k debt racing in the national league ?

Living beyond your means, unfortunately too many don't realise you have to have it before you spend it.

Quite reckless if you have children!!!!!

Wasn't Jon Armstrong claiming in the Speedway Star last year that he had used the same engine for about 12 years now?

Wasn't Jon Armstrong claiming in the Speedway Star last year that he had used the same engine for about 12 years now?

Ye. What appears to have happened is he switched to GM's this year after running JAWA's for the last 12 years.

with an engine service @ £500 every 30 races . £45 a time for a tyre , clutch plates chains and sprockets oil . it's pretty easy I should think .and once your'e in a team there's no saying Oh Im a bit skint i think Ill leave it this week

I was thinking the same. Perhaps this is a case of "Trigger's Broom" (Only Fools & Horses).

Looking at the bigger picture, it would've been far better for someone to invest £12k (or whatever the actual amount is) in the facilities/infrastructure at Loomer Rd., thereby enhancing the experience for the fans.

• Like 1

From what i can see he is a really nice guy and put everything he had into speedway, 12k can be easily racked up by not only the running cost of speedway but the cost of everything else that goes with it, this year along to be up with the best of them last years silencers went out the window with a cost of over £200 each plus a oil at £8 a liter and a gallon of fuel at £8, so then you have a tyre to make sure your up with the rest, plus the to have an afternoon off work to ride speedway?

At a guess to £61 to start a bike up then £16 a race to cover your service cost of £500 every 30 races of an engine x 5 races £141 running cost? at a guess then on top of that you have got clutch plates and chain wear and tear before you have to replace anything else that may go wrong.

Jon's a nice guy let someone help him out if i had the money i would. speedway would be a lesser place if he was not in the sport.

Well his retirement lasted a long time...

Pretty sure john also bought 2 new full chassis at the start of the year as well as 2 new engines and being a number 1 you need pretty good equipment even to ride in the NL normal blow ups big or small end bearings going can be fixed pretty easy but when you have to basically chuck most of the main parts in the bin with johns first blow up the the rod broke only after 13 heats and then went throught casings also went throught the barrel and cracked it and the piston flipped and went into the head and done the valves not much left after that ,and when you start the season your hoping to make enough throught the year to recoup what you spend at the start but most never do and his van also chucked it a month back and had to get another one also ,you don't do this sport at NL level to make money you do it for the love and the adrenalin rush for 1 minute every race only a racer will know about that