British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
remembertheracers

Swindon's New Stadium

Amasing, Darcy gets a mention everywhere !! :rofl:

Is "amasing" a new word?

also is this correct in the deeds from 1949 i have heard in law there has to be a sporting activivity on those grounds?

I would be very interested to see an official link with that in it. I'm afraid it sounds like wishful thinking.

However, there was a covenant on the land surrounding the current stadium, restricting its use to employment purposes only, but this was given short shrift by the council who say pound signs when plans for a few hundred houses were submitted.

As I understand it, the Goddard family bequeathed the land to the people of Swindon for sport and recreation,but I can't believe that became law.

As I understand it, the Goddard family bequeathed the land to the people of Swindon for sport and recreation,but I can't believe that became law.

It shouldn't need to be law. If someone gives you a gift with conditions attached you do as they're told unless you're morally bankrupt.

Thinking about it, I remember an article in the "adver" some time after the death of our legendary promoter, Ted Nelson, suggesting that all details of the Goddard family arrangement with the land, went to the grave with him. It's all very odd, but that's how it was reported at the time.

I would be very interested to see an official link with that in it. I'm afraid it sounds like wishful thinking.

However, there was a covenant on the land surrounding the current stadium, restricting its use to employment purposes only, but this was given short shrift by the council who say pound signs when plans for a few hundred houses were submitted.

If there was (or is) a land covenant applicable to the land the local council cannot overturn it. Such decisions are subject to the Upper Tribunal - Lands Chamber - based in London.

Yesterday's meeting against Lakeside at Blunsdon may have not been the most dramatic of race meetings but it was most certainly one, if not the most, dramatic day at Blunsdon since I’ve been coming up. The photographs below on the Blunsdon Blog (link below) show not only the latest phase of the building work behind the pits at the Abbey Stadium, they also capture the moment that the building work on the other side of the fence became work on our side of the fence. 19 months after we were first told to vacate the old away pits area at the bottom of pit lane, at last they were demolished yesterday morning in just minutes.

http://blunsdonblog.co.uk/?page_id=10015

• Like 1

Yesterday's meeting against Lakeside at Blunsdon may have not been the most dramatic of race meetings but it was most certainly one, if not the most, dramatic day at Blunsdon since I’ve been coming up. The photographs below on the Blunsdon Blog (link below) show not only the latest phase of the building work behind the pits at the Abbey Stadium, they also capture the moment that the building work on the other side of the fence became work on our side of the fence. 19 months after we were first told to vacate the old away pits area at the bottom of pit lane, at last they were demolished yesterday morning in just minutes.

http://blunsdonblog.co.uk/?page_id=10015

Once again a great read. I only hope when the back straight bogs are knocked down it's done with far more pomp and ceremony than the knocking down of the pits :o

So, what does all this mean in terms of a new stadium?

running a little behind schedule, maybe?

The 2016 season may start with the stand still being built unless they get a move on.

• Like 1

Once again a great read. I only hope when the back straight bogs are knocked down it's done with far more pomp and ceremony than the knocking down of the pits :o

They are a listed building so cannot be demolished...they will be reassembled brick-by-brick in the new stadium

• Like 1

They are a listed building so cannot be demolished...they will be reassembled brick-by-brick in the new stadium

I thought they had rising damp!!! :D

Is "amasing" a new word?

Its amazing that your still posting on here...

What really is amazing is that starman has read something about Darcy when he's not been mentioned once in the whole thread!

Try reading Hagonshockers post....Duh... :icon_smile_clown:

Edited by Starman2006

I thought they had rising damp!!! :D

They have and every time they are used the damp rises !!! :o

Any user should wear wellingtons