British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mdmc82

Lakeside V Coventry

Yes we get a good end to the season. Shame about the rest....

It's the end of July and without a hope of getting into the play-off club this year Lakeside's season is almost over. That is not healthy.

It would be like this if there were no play offs though. What is not healthy is to just have 8 clubs in the Elite League. :neutral:

I saw quite a lot of Bees supporters. Certainly more than last time I was there on a Monday evening for a Lakeside/Coventry Sky match.

How full did the stadium look on TV? So many times recently the TV matches had very small crowds.

I was just replying to Drop a cog's post concerning Coventry fans. Glad there were quite a lot there ~ I don't have Sky anymore so don't know what the attendance was like. Personally I've never been to Lakeside and the furthest I've travelled for a match is Oxford. Any further and I'd want to be staying for a few days to make it worthwhile. :lol:

Superb meeting hope all injured riders recover soon.... Some Chris Louis classics from last night to Havvy after ht1 "what about Garritys ride in ht1 " after ht 3 again to Havvy "what about Garrity ride in ht1" followed by again to Havvy " what about this October weather does it help " now come on sky I don't know what you pay Louis but give me £15 an hr and expenses and I will do the job for ya

What a good idea!

I'll just do a quick search....... Ah, here it is....

You'll probably have to take your shoes and socks off to add up all the 'pokc' and 'sycophants' in that one, good luck, lol!

Haha very funny lol. Already blown my socks off laughing!! Edited by foreverblue

As for all of those people saying they had no idea of there being a speedway track in Thurrock. What does that say of the effectiveness of over thirty years of press and PR? That's of course not specific to the Hammers but symptomatic of the abject failure of the marketing of the sport over a far longer period.

I don't think it's that simple. I couldn't tell you anything about my local sports teams apart from Essex Cricket Club because Iam not interested. I have no idea who won the FA Cup or any horse race meetings because they don't register. Although I go to Arena Essex virtually every Speedwáy meeting I couldn't tell you what stock car meetings are on or when because I don't pay attention. It's very very difficult to get people's attention to something they are not interested in . The Lakeside website gives details of the community programme with local schools and charities for the last several years which does focus attention on the club but that involves a lot of effort for slow progress. When the local MP puts something on Twitter those people who follow her movements are specifically paying attention so that is an achievement.

I agree with Gemini in that the biggest problem is only having 8 teams rather than the play offs themselves.......to say that Lakeside's season is over because of play offs is ridiculous really....if we didn't have play offs then their season would still be over but so would many others as well.....quite often in the past it was obvious from the first few matches that winning the league was out of the question so basically teams were racing for nothing much earlier than today....at least the play offs give teams not able to come first something to aim for and theoretically should keep the season more alive for a lot of clubs....I think without play offs then the season could well fizzle out like a damp squib seeing there is only 8 clubs and the season is so stop and go without any rhythm to it all .

The elite league needs more variety, it needs more than 8 teams, it needs fans to know that such a night is speedway night and get into the habit of going to watch.......if we could get all that then I think the play offs would be a fantastic end to a fantastic season...

As it is the season is too stop start...the play offs are often competed for by teams with no reflection of the team that got there due to late signings and injuries and they often staged in poor weather on cold wet nights...hardly the showcase they could be...

• Like 1

Now your just repeating what you said in a earlier post. I expect Coventry enjoyed 2010 too but it is much better winning at home in my opinion. The play offs are here to stay, it is a way of keeping the interest to the end of the season and as a fan they are usually cracking meetings in front of packed crowds.

Apparently playing to great crowds is a sin to those that knock the play offs.

• Like 2

Apparently playing to great crowds is a sin to those that knock the play offs.

Maybe it is for those who never make the play offs!!