British Speedway Forum
coventry1963

Isle Of Wight - Latest News?

Ben, I do believe that the official name is Wightlink Warriors. It was the Wight Warriors until Wightlink came on board. (Pardon the pun)

So that being said, Wightlink Warriors? Better? :lol:

Andy

I'm not sure the addition of the 'link' changes the sound too much Andy! That said it is great to see the IOW coming to tapes (fingers crossed) for the new season. The new nickname fits a speedway team more than the Islanders did in my opinion too.

• Like 1

While I hope the proposed return of the IOW speedway happens and is a success, the stated losses sustained over a number of years the last time they ran suggests that will be difficult and a very expensive ego trip for the proposed promotion!

The new nickname is awful and very lazy! Their have been Warriors teams before so its not original and very dull. The Islanders nickname was superb because it was totally original in speedway and synonomous to the Isle of Wight speedway!

Edited by 25yearfan

Apologies if this info is elsewhere on the forum, but can anyone advise when the Warriors race night is likely to be - wasn't it originally a Tuesday?

Planning a trip down to the IOW at some stage next season, any advice would be appreciated.

believe Thursday was being discussed as it helps people book a weekend away on the IOW, good business sense

Apologies if this info is elsewhere on the forum, but can anyone advise when the Warriors race night is likely to be - wasn't it originally a Tuesday?

Planning a trip down to the IOW at some stage next season, any advice would be appreciated.

At the club's AGM last month it was disclosed that it is planned to have Thursday as the regular racenight.

EDIT: You beat me to it CM! :wink:

Edited by Bryn
  • Like 2

I guess the name comes down to opinion, which we all have, so in a way we are all right! :)

I would say that having had much contact with the new promotion one thing that certainly doesn't fit with anything they are doing in my experience is "Lazy", and if you copied history the sport would not move forward. So their vision, passion, drive and thinking outside the box will, hopefully, work out for them where it hasn't in the past on the Island. Companies get taken over everyday and its pretty common for a change of the company name etc, new promotion, new team, new direction. Whether I like the name or not in my opinion a change of name is a wise move.

Andy

I guess the name comes down to opinion, which we all have, so in a way we are all right! :)

I would say that having had much contact with the new promotion one thing that certainly doesn't fit with anything they are doing in my experience is "Lazy", and if you copied history the sport would not move forward. So their vision, passion, drive and thinking outside the box will, hopefully, work out for them where it hasn't in the past on the Island. Companies get taken over everyday and its pretty common for a change of the company name etc, new promotion, new team, new direction. Whether I like the name or not in my opinion a change of name is a wise move.

Andy

it also helps sell new stuff from the track shop, like jackets scarfs etc...bit like kings lynn knights did..

• Like 1

Thanks Bryn/CM, appreciate your posts. From a selfish point of view, I hope the fixture planners will schedule the Aces at Poole on the Weds, followed by the Colts on the Isle the following night.

Either way, look forward to visiting in 2016, hope the re-launch of the IOW club is a big success.

• Like 4

Warriors sound like a sports team, Islanders doesn't. Plus the Isle of Wight bit at the start is a pretty huge hint that the team is based on the Isle of Wight.

King's Lynn Knights was an awful nickname and was dropped after a number of years!

Like I said before - Islanders was a brilliant original nickname linked with only the IOW speedway team. These are the best nicknames that stand the test of time!

I wasn't suggesting that the promotion were lazy physically but Warriors nickname is very lazy cause its not original and the logo looks very poor!

IOW speedway lost a sizeable amount of money nearly every season they ran before finally folding a couple of years ago. Apart from the 1st couple of years, average crowds have been low with decentish crowds only coming during the holiday season!

As a speedway supporter I welcome the return of IOW speedway and hope it does well but being a realist looking at the clubs previous history in speedway, I can see that the new promotion have their work cut out and will likely need big wallets to cope with the losses!

King's Lynn Knights was an awful nickname and was dropped after a number of years!

Like I said before - Islanders was a brilliant original nickname linked with only the IOW speedway team. These are the best nicknames that stand the test of time!

I wasn't suggesting that the promotion were lazy physically but Warriors nickname is very lazy cause its not original and the logo looks very poor!

IOW speedway lost a sizeable amount of money nearly every season they ran before finally folding a couple of years ago. Apart from the 1st couple of years, average crowds have been low with decentish crowds only coming during the holiday season!

As a speedway supporter I welcome the return of IOW speedway and hope it does well but being a realist looking at the clubs previous history in speedway, I can see that the new promotion have their work cut out and will likely need big wallets to cope with the losses!

National League running costs are considerably less than those in the Premier League so all is not lost I would suggest. Also, Cradley, Eastbourne, Kent and Birmingham often bring decent travelling support (I know a decent amount of us from Arlington are coming over) so onwards and upwards for I.O.W.

If they worked IOW into a mini tour with a couple other meetings you might get away fans going along to watch it you get a good few away supporters when southern teams do the northern tours in the pl Edinburgh Friday Berwick or worky sat Glasgow or Newcastle Sunday