British Speedway Forum

No sh!t Sherlock! :D

No swearing on the forum please, this is a family environment. :nono:;)

No sh!t Sherlock! :D

Well, you say that, but why hasn't it filtered through to the clubs/promoters after all these years? I've just moved close to Redcar's track and I've seen ONE poster so far - and that was for last year's meetings! Yeah, I know, that's Redcar for you. But I lived in Ware and followed Rye House for 4 years and never once saw an advert/poster for speedway! Many years in Edinburgh, never saw one once. Unless you buy a local paper, in many areas (I can't speak for all, obviously!), you might never know speedway existed!

• Like 2

Well, you say that, but why hasn't it filtered through to the clubs/promoters after all these years? I've just moved close to Redcar's track and I've seen ONE poster so far - and that was for last year's meetings! Yeah, I know, that's Redcar for you. But I lived in Ware and followed Rye House for 4 years and never once saw an advert/poster for speedway! Many years in Edinburgh, never saw one once. Unless you buy a local paper, in many areas (I can't speak for all, obviously!), you might never know speedway existed!

Contrast that with Berwick Speedway who have mounted a poster campaign this year and have them up in many shops & businesses.

• Like 1

I often think that advertising is seen by some as a cure to all speedway's ills when I really don't think it is.

If you are interested in the sport and new to an area you'd make enquiries. If you're not, you probably wouldn't go even if the town was bedecked with banners.

Its a matter of targeting. That means putting the message out on special occasions (Berwick did a fantastic job when they had televised meetings) or you have a large influx of people into the area (Isle of Wight, for example).

For a place like Redcar, blanket advertising would probably be a waste of money.

I often think that advertising is seen by some as a cure to all speedway's ills when I really don't think it is.

If you are interested in the sport and new to an area you'd make enquiries. If you're not, you probably wouldn't go even if the town was bedecked with banners.

Its a matter of targeting. That means putting the message out on special occasions (Berwick did a fantastic job when they had televised meetings) or you have a large influx of people into the area (Isle of Wight, for example).

For a place like Redcar, blanket advertising would probably be a waste of money.

You're likely to get more new fans through the gate if you advertise than if you don't.

You have to bring new fans in and keep the existing ones too, no good preaching to the converted so to speak, which is why adverts for meetings being placed in the Speedway Star always baffles me. Used to happen for Rye with nothing in the local rag sometimes, the people reading the Speedway Star already like speedway...

• Like 3

Contrast that with Berwick Speedway who have mounted a poster campaign this year and have them up in many shops & businesses.

To be fair they had a poster campaign in 2015, just didn't distribute the posters. Much better effort this year by the couple who were doing the advertising for the programme. It's taken about 6 years to listen, but better late than never. Onwards & Upwards

Advertising is a part of promotiing your business, not the whole, however, it is an important part of getting the message out to the interested public. If you don't get the information out in front of your customer base how does one expect them to know about it. Berwick is an example of a town that has a large influx of visitors during the speedway season, if you can attract at least some of the visitors to come along, they may become long term speedway fans in their own area. It's about getting the information out where the public will see it, pubs, cafes, tourist info centres holiday camps etc,.etc.,

• Like 1

The problem in my mind is that although a poster campaign is obviously good it takes actual footage to show how exciting Speedway actually is however that is expensive.

What bugs me most is the venues that host Speedway & other activities dont even advertise. Walk into Kent on a night when the dogs are running and you wouldnt even know Speedway took place there. How hard would it be for a TV to be set up with footage of previous meetings being played on loop?

• Like 2

Ignore the people that pay through the gate to keep the place going. Great advice. I'm glad you're not my accountant

I didn't realise you had that much money shads can you lend me £20 please 😁

I didn't realise you had that much money shads can you lend me £20 please 😁

Are things that bad up there?

Are things that bad up there?

ok 10 then ha ha

ok 10 then ha ha

Blimey, worse than I thought. Have you tried Wonga?

i am a regular at the bike meets at the ace cafe and high beech and when i talk to other bikers about rye house speedway the response is always the same 'i didn't know it was still going'

To be fair they had a poster campaign in 2015, just didn't distribute the posters. Much better effort this year by the couple who were doing the advertising for the programme. It's taken about 6 years to listen, but better late than never. Onwards & Upwards

Advertising is a part of promotiing your business, not the whole, however, it is an important part of getting the message out to the interested public. If you don't get the information out in front of your customer base how does one expect them to know about it. Berwick is an example of a town that has a large influx of visitors during the speedway season, if you can attract at least some of the visitors to come along, they may become long term speedway fans in their own area. It's about getting the information out where the public will see it, pubs, cafes, tourist info centres holiday camps etc,.etc.,

At least everybody seems to be singing from the same hymn sheet now ,it's only a couple of seasons ago that this advertising in holiday centres etc was a waste of time among some of the people running the show.
  • Like 1

Press and Practice tomorrow, 16th, 11am, it will be interesting to see the track changes and I assume that we may start the season on Saturday with a new track record holder if the alterations that have been made have significantly altered the track.