British Speedway Forum

see previous post go to Paradise park next Sunday - think you may find it has been very difficult to communicate what was going on due to all the planning problems

Yes that's good about the zoo info.

But if the promotion were mired in planning problems they should have come out with a holding statement to that effect.

Saying nothing encourages punters to assume nothing is happening and that the promotion can't be bothered.

• Like 1

Too true, I sincerely hope something is happening but with so many lost Speedway venues in the past no news does start people thinking the worst is lurking around the corner, I doubt any Speedway supporter wants to see another track disappear

• Like 1

..... and re a visit to the park next week, some of us work on Sunday's and live 1.5hours away - so information in the form of a press release would have been appreciated by at least me!

Communication is key, there's no reason that some details cannot be disclosed to nip speculation in the bud. If there are planning issues then say so, if the promotion want to fill the crater in the car park in but there are reasons they can't then say so. People are a lot more understanding when they are told things.

• Like 4

Only 30 days to go, just imagine it

The sound of "the magnificent men in their flying machines" blaring away

4 Boiler suited men walk uncoordinated to the centre green

An 80 something man mumbling in to a muffled microphone

He throws a £2 coin at 4 boys standing on the ex-dog track, but as usual its on a bit of string so he can pull it back at the last moment so he use it next week

Bowen and Boxall are warming their bikes up, but don't worry we have new blood this year as Mear and Tommy Gun are back, but no Tyson "again"

DIDNT YOU JUST LOVE THE SEVENTIES

Hold on somethings changed ????????

• Like 3

Only 30 days to go, just imagine it

The sound of "the magnificent men in their flying machines" blaring away

4 Boiler suited men walk uncoordinated to the centre green

An 80 something man mumbling in to a muffled microphone

He throws a £2 coin at 4 boys standing on the ex-dog track, but as usual its on a bit of string so he can pull it back at the last moment so he use it next week

Bowen and Boxall are warming their bikes up, but don't worry we have new blood this year as Mear and Tommy Gun are back, but no Tyson "again"

DIDNT YOU JUST LOVE THE SEVENTIES

Hold on somethings changed ????????

Yeah and the grass is rarely greener

Uncle Len might be gone, but at least sampers is still there providing us with one link to the past!

Seems that John is also now in the past

Seems that John is also now in the past

Just been Tweeted by Rye House. Not really a surprise. Seems like the new promotion are severing all ties with the previous regime. Interesting times ahead

Edited by Shads

Tough on John. Whilst there may be many that are not his greatest fan all my encounters with the man have been positive. He lives & breathes speedway and has put a lot of time and effort into Rye House over the years so to be dumped pre-season (especially as he stated in the Speedway Star this week he was looking forward to the season ahead) seems a little brutal and cruel to me.

There is very little loyalty left in the sport these days. Good Luck for the future John & fingers crossed another team can utilise his strong grasp of the rules......(or a step into the referee's box?)

• Like 1

Tough on John. Whilst there may be many that are not his greatest fan all my encounters with the man have been positive. He lives & breathes speedway and has put a lot of time and effort into Rye House over the years so to be dumped pre-season (especially as he stated in the Speedway Star this week he was looking forward to the season ahead) seems a little brutal and cruel to me.

There is very little loyalty left in the sport these days. Good Luck for the future John & fingers crossed another team can utilise his strong grasp of the rules......(or a step into the referee's box?)

Agree with the sentiments and very little loyalty left among a lot of the fans for the new mob too. Shown up at the celebration of speedway by the likes of Mildenhall and the Isle of Wight both of whom who put on a decent stand unlike Rye House who clearly thought a Saloon Car and a go Kart were were more important getting their brand across. half of me wants to see a successful club but the other half has little or no time for the bunch who own the club now. I suppose the timing of the dumping of Sampford is pretty clever if the team goes ** up then they have their scapegoat

• Like 2

Some people don't like change, but out with the old in with the new. I like the rebranding of the rockets/raiders logo's and also think the new owners should be given time to do what they have started before we all judge imo

• Like 4

Very sorry to hear of Johns leaving.

The former postie, certainly delivered a 1st class service for the Rockets over the last 16 years ending the only way possible, the sack.

All joking apart many thanks to a very underappreciated person (but really just a big big fan) as they say you only realise what you had when its gone.

• Like 1

We do not know what has gone on behind the scenes and until we do, i for one will not comment the possible reason for his departure....Suffice to say what ever your opinionis on the merits of John Sampford as a team manager ,,The guy knows the rule book backwards ,,,and ..he has given years of hard work and loyalty to Rye House and deserves respect....

Edited by waco
  • Like 4

Boy oh boy. Yes John Sampford wasn’t ever your pin up team manager, but he did and still does know the rule book inside out.

It isn’t easy being a team manager, ask last year’s Witches Team Manager! But John has been a Rocket’s supporter since time began, well almost…..

Both his parents were ardent Rockets supporters and when they passed away a few years apart I recall a minutes silence was held impeccably by the crowd and the riders alike for both his mum & dad.

Speedway probably kept him going in what would have been dark times for John.

But as they say time is a great healer.

Jumping forward to now, well the new team manager, who was going to be one half of the team manager’s role is now solo. To my knowledge Peter hasn’t any experience as such in a team manager’s role and as I have already stated it isn’t as easy as people think.

I’m all for a new promotion making changes, sweeping dead wood springs to mind. But they’ve gone far too far in my opinion.

It started last year when the lovely turnstile girls disappeared. Then the paramedic who’s become a regular Simon Small disappeared. Remember this was the man who treated Simon Stead after that awful accident.

Then the biggest of all the mistakes was the getting rid of Andrew Silver. What an absolute cock up made by BMR.

Talking of BMR here I have another beef I and many other supports have to. Steve ‘Jangling Keys’ Jenson was at the start of the season the stadium manager. Then around the time of Andrews forced departure he became co-promoter.

We all believed Warren Scott was the ‘main man’ and I’m told he still is, but thus far we’ve not heard a dicky bird [what a great umpire he was] from the main man at all, and virtually nothing from the ‘key man’ here Steve Jenson, who it appears is running the show on behalf of Scott. Well I think Scott needs beaming up, or beaming down to publically state what his plans are at Rye. I heard people say yesterday at the celebration of speedway ‘it’s complicated’ what’s going on at Rye. Having press statements should be from individuals, even if it’s from coco the clown [could he do a better job, probably?] but not from BMR!

Anyway digressing away, after Andrew was told not to come back to the Hoddesdon raceway the NL team trundled on, minus Luke Chessell who obviously had also had enough. I’m guessing Andrew probably said words to the effect ride and get paid, well I’m assuming they all got paid, rumours did suggest otherwise at one time last season.

Then the last meeting of the season the ‘Pair of Aces’ Len took a backward role, knowing full well this would be his last meeting at Rye. He was totally blanked that night. Outrageous! This man did have his bad points, [haven’t we all] but his heart and soul like John Sampford was Rye House speedway. They whoever BMR are could and should have at least laid something on for the old feller, even if it was thanking Len for all his hard work in 2015 if Len didn’t want it announced he was leaving Rye. But nothing!

The close season and another monumental cock up of utter disbelief was the releasing of NBJ, unbelievable!

I could go on, but for those who say you have to give the new promoters a chance, well the above quite frankly feels me with no hope for 2016. I wonder who’ll be next on the chopping block. I can understand a few mistakes by a rooky promoter but since Len sold to Warren Scott it’s been one ginormous cock after the other both on and off the track!

Will I be going to Rye in 2016? Well yes I’ll start the season but I may get banned so if all of a sudden secret agent John Drake disappears from the terracing at Rye you’ll know what’s happened!

• Like 3