British Speedway Forum

How do I know that Berwick are riding this weekend against Ryehouse by watching Belle Vue vs Kings Lynn on Sky?

Form the commentary team who regularly reference tracks up and down the country. If the product interests you that much when watching it, it then takes about 30 seconds to check on the internet where the nearest track is.

Actually watching a visible tangible thing, seeing how it works etc is a far better promotional tool for the sport (and tracks up and down the country) then posters or a twitter account.

Edited by sparkafag
  • Like 1

Form the commentary team who regularly reference tracks up and down the country. If the product interests you that much when watching it, it then takes about 30 seconds to check on the internet where the nearest track is.

Actually watching a visible tangible thing, seeing how it works etc is a far better promotional tool for the sport (and tracks up and down the country) then posters or a twitter account.

If you are lucky, Pearson might mention in passing you're club and what night you ride, a couple of times a season.

Not a knock on Nigel btw, he gets enough unnecessary grief.

• Like 1

If you are lucky, Pearson might mention in passing you're club and what night you ride, a couple of times a season.

Not a knock on Nigel btw, he gets enough unnecessary grief.

It doesn’t require luck; it is a 2/3 hour advert for speedway up and down the country. If people enjoy it that much that they feel they would attend it wouldn’t (doesn’t) take long to locate your local track.

There is a far greater chance of a fan searching out their local track having watched a product shown on prime time TV than managing to find a Twitter account or probably even a poster in the local area.

If you offered most products the chance of the advertising/promotion Speedway is given on TV over a regional poster campaign my natural assumption is that they would take their chances with the TV campaign every time.

In Berwick in particular I genuinely don’t know what difference a few posters around town and the caravan park would make those are all things that have literally happened, people know about Speedway up and down the country, there just isn’t that many people who are interested in it.

There lies the issue, speedway is dying, with the supporters who are walking away not being replaced for many reasons, cost, complicated rules, etc.

• Like 1

I was speaking to a bloke at work a few days ago wearing a Berwick Rangers scarf, Speedway came up in conversation, he said he has been going since its inception but stopped this year? Why? He simply didn't enjoy it anymore, and he is starting to feel the same about Berwick Rangers.

There are always individual anecdotal tales, I can give you stories of new faces who have come over recent years and are now hooked. It's not any sort of evidence to build a marketing strategy on.

There can be any amount of reasons for people losing interest in activities, many not related to the activities themselves. Really nothing that can be taken about the product or marketing from this one story.

We shouldn't cater our advertising to pensioners just because that is our current largest market.

What evidence do you have for pensioners being the largest market?

We aren't getting the most out the social media, cut down on the amount of newsletters that go out, they are repetitive, long and boring, they should be used to conclude news not break it.

Mailshots have by far the largest ROI when it comes to electronic marketing. They are very effective. To try and give you an idea of the difference: FB conversion (top performer of the social media channels, incidentally) is around 1% at best, email marketing is in the range of 20% - 50%. So, 20 - 50 times more effective. I don't mean to be rude, but you are just wrong with this.

How do I know that Berwick are riding this weekend against Ryehouse by watching Belle Vue vs Kings Lynn on Sky?

Berwick Advertiser, Berwickshire News, Radio Borders, Club Website, Club Facebook, Club Twitter, Posters, Programme, BSPA Website.

Also, if you watch and EL meeting on TV and enjoy it, then feel inspired to go and watch something live, it doesn't take a genius to be able to go and find where there nearest speedway is.

There lies the issue, speedway is dying, with the supporters who are walking away not being replaced for many reasons, cost, complicated rules, etc.

It being boring is the main issue.. Makes no different me slavvering on about social media if the product is rubbish.

I don’t agree with that at all, I don’t think it is “dying” and I think the recent news from Newcastle and Redcar probably confirms that.

It is a niche sport that isn’t going to attract attendances in the 4/5,000 mark unless it is a genuine occasion like a Play-Off Final etc.

If sides like Edinburgh Rugby who play in a bespoke ground and a sport that is better marketed than most can only attract 4,000 average, then speedway, basically doesn’t stand any chance of doing anything even remotely comparable, times have changed people aren’t as interested as they were in turning out to see events at, what is basically grass root level, on a regular basis now, it is best to embrace that and accept it.

I genuinely feel that rather than constantly referencing what Speedway should do, and should be it is probably best to look at the trend of what has now been 10 years give or take, it is a sport that typically tends to attract crowds in the 500/2,000 range (depending on location and surrounding area) that is the general attendance now…the good old days are gone.

Fans who still want to attend would be best served to enjoy for it is rather than what it isn’t.

Edited by sparkafag
  • Like 2

I was speaking to a bloke at work a few days ago wearing a Berwick Rangers scarf, Speedway came up in conversation, he said he has been going since its inception but stopped this year? Why? He simply didn't enjoy it anymore, and he is starting to feel the same about Berwick Rangers.

There are always individual anecdotal tales, I can give you stories of new faces who have come over recent years and are now hooked. It's not any sort of evidence to build a marketing strategy on.

There can be any amount of reasons for people losing interest in activities, many not related to the activities themselves. Really nothing that can be taken about the product or marketing from this one story.

I summed up what he said, if he gave his opinion to the promotion and explained it (he may already have, I don't know) should it be ignored as he is just one person?

What hooked them?

We shouldn't cater our advertising to pensioners just because that is our current largest market.

What evidence do you have for pensioners being the largest market?

I should have said aging market, in reply to screm. Wrong word, my apologies.

We aren't getting the most out the social media, cut down on the amount of newsletters that go out, they are repetitive, long and boring, they should be used to conclude news not break it.

Mailshots have by far the largest ROI when it comes to electronic marketing. They are very effective. To try and give you an idea of the difference: FB conversion (top performer of the social media channels, incidentally) is around 1% at best, email marketing is in the range of 20% - 50%. So, 20 - 50 times more effective. I don't mean to be rude, but you are just wrong with this.

Not trying to be funny, but where do you get your statistics from? .. So we shouldn't bother improving social media channels at all, despite it being free? I don't expect miracles either, however that doesn't mean we shouldn't make the effort imo. - What point am I wrong on? .. Not getting most out of social media, the news letters being boring or they should be used to sum up the news? .. Or all of those?

Berwick Advertiser, Berwickshire News, Radio Borders, Club Website, Club Facebook, Club Twitter, Posters, Programme, BSPA Website.

Also, if you watch and EL meeting on TV and enjoy it, then feel inspired to go and watch something live, it doesn't take a genius to be able to go and find where there nearest speedway is.

Fair point.

Edited by DeeksYaMahaga

I summed up what he said, if he gave his opinion to the promotion and explained it (he may already have, I don't know) should it be ignored as he is just one person?

No, you just wouldn't make any strategic decisions based on that.

Fair enough, surely all the more reason to incentivise youngsters to come along?

Not trying to be funny, but where do you get your statistics from?

Industry statistics, DMA and several other sources.

So we shouldn't bother improving social media channels at all, despite it being free? I don't expect miracles either, however that doesn't mean we shouldn't make the effort imo.

I didn't say that. Businesses need to be careful with regard to the resources the put into this channel. As ROI is significantly lower than email marketing, a business with limited resources would clearly focus more on email than social media.

What point am I wrong on? .. Not getting most out of social media, the news letters being boring or they should be used to sum up the news? .. Or all of those?

I was referring to your assertion that we should focus more on social media than newsletters.

No, you just wouldn't make any strategic decisions based on that.

Fair enough, surely all the more reason to incentivise youngsters to come along?

Not trying to be funny, but where do you get your statistics from?

Industry statistics, DMA and several other sources.

So we shouldn't bother improving social media channels at all, despite it being free? I don't expect miracles either, however that doesn't mean we shouldn't make the effort imo.

I didn't say that. Businesses need to be careful with regard to the resources the put into this channel. As ROI is significantly lower than email marketing, a business with limited resources would clearly focus more on email than social media.

What point am I wrong on? .. Not getting most out of social media, the news letters being boring or they should be used to sum up the news? .. Or all of those?

I was referring to your assertion that we should focus more on social media than newsletters.

surely though the emails only go out to fans who have signed up for the newsletter and most of them turn up on a Saturday night where as on social media you are reaching out to a much wider percentage of people and that is why the % of people who get the emails go to the speedway, because they have already bern going where as we're talking about enticing new fans

I don’t agree with that at all, I don’t think it is “dying” and I think the recent news from Newcastle and Redcar probably confirms that.

It is a niche sport that isn’t going to attract attendances in the 4/5,000 mark unless it is a genuine occasion like a Play-Off Final etc.

If sides like Edinburgh Rugby who play in a bespoke ground and a sport that is better marketed than most can only attract 4,000 average, then speedway, basically doesn’t stand any chance of doing anything even remotely comparable, times have changed people aren’t as interested as they were in turning out to see events at, what is basically grass root level, on a regular basis now, it is best to embrace that and accept it.

I genuinely feel that rather than constantly referencing what Speedway should do, and should be it is probably best to look at the trend of what has now been 10 years give or take, it is a sport that typically tends to attract crowds in the 500/2,000 range (depending on location and surrounding area) that is the general attendance now…the good old days are gone.

Fans who still want to attend would be best served to enjoy for it is rather than what it isn’t.

Obviously this weeks news that Redcar & Newcastle have secure futures is good, but there is still concerns over Scunthorpe and of course Berwick, crowds are down virtually everywhere, clubs losing money.

Obviously this weeks news that Redcar & Newcastle have secure futures is good, but there is still concerns over Scunthorpe and of course Berwick, crowds are down virtually everywhere, clubs losing money.

The news only concerns the use of the stadium for the sport,it does not mean the Speedway is secure IMO.
  • Like 1

No point spending more money on advertising if you can't get the team or the track right consistently

Get a good product get the feel good factor with the fans especially the supporters club and lets get some of Berwick's old identity back

Should be an interesting next couple of weeks

No point spending more money on advertising if you can't get the team or the track right consistently

Get a good product get the feel good factor with the fans especially the supporters club and lets get some of Berwick's old identity back

Should be an interesting next couple of weeks

Tend to agree regarding Advertising,most people in the area that are interested know there is Speedway in Berwick it's been there since 1968!!. You have to get the product right to sell it too new fans and be able to hold on to them.Unfortunately this has not happened with the sport,and even a lot of regulars have drifted away.Fans are fed up with the way the sport is bring run and voting with their feet plain and simple.There are lots of discussions regarding change hope some good comes out of it .Moral among the fans in the season just past ,is the lowest I have seen it in the history of Berwick Speedway IMO. Edited by Fromafar
  • Like 1