British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
lucifer sam

Scunthorpe Scorpions Vs Redcar Bears ( P L) - Friday, August 14th (7.30pm)

Bottom of the table clash. A win for the Scorpions by seven points or more will take them off the bottom of the table.

Andreas Lyager makes his debut for the Scorpions.

I reckon it will be close, but Scorpions' strength at reserve will prevail.

Should be a night of some cracking racing.

All the best

Rob

• Like 1

Hope weather forecast is wrong as bbc issued a weather warning and rain all day, accuweather had rain down for 4 hours,

i think if it goes ahead scunny will be too strong this time for the bears, especially with alex at reserve, the new signings are having a spin thursday i believe?

maybe the outsider could think of a theme tune for andreas if he starts winning races?

CRUNCH CLASH FOR SCORPIONS

FLUIDAIR POWER Scunthorpe Scorpions, supported by Henderson Insurance, can climb off the bottom of the Premier League table, if they defeat Redcar Bears by seven points or more in the crunch clash at the Eddie Wright Raceway on Friday evening (7.30pm).

The Scorpions will be looking to build on last week’s morale-boasting 54-38 win over the Newcastle Diamonds.

A victory for the Scorpions, while denying the Bears the bonus point for losing by six or less away from home, would take the Scorpions above the Bears on race points difference, and leave everything to play for in the final few weeks of the season for the two clubs.

17-year-old Dane Andreas Lyager - the replacement for the injured Ben Wilson - is set to make his first appearance for Scunthorpe, just one week after 19-year-old Czech Zdenek Holub - the replacement for the injured Josh Auty - scored paid 10 on his home debut for the club.

Scunthorpe promoter Rob Godfrey said: “This is a big fixture for us, simply because we don’t want to finish bottom of the league, no matter how much bad luck gets thrown our way this season.

“Since speedway returned to Scunthorpe in 2005, we’ve never finished bottom, and we don’t want to start now.

“Similarly, Redcar will also be hell-bent on avoiding last place in the PL. I think it’s going to be a fascinating clash, and I’m sure every point will be fought over.”

Regarding the new make-up of his team, Godfrey commented: “I guess we may look slightly vulnerable with two new riders on assessed averages in our top five, especially now we have to use rider replacement for the sadly injured Ryan Douglas.

“But Zdenek Holub had a terrific home debut last week against Newcastle, while having Alex Davies move down to reserve, alongside Nike Lunna, could be a real trump card.

“Alex had himself been in the wars earlier in the season, but last week he scored a superb 13 at Sheffield and followed that up with 9 at Scunthorpe.

“He seems to be moving back into form just as he drops to reserve, and we could reap the benefit of that.”

Godfrey also insists no pressure will be placed on the incoming Lyager.

“Andreas is only 17 and hasn’t ridden in Britain before.

“We’ll treat any points he scores as a bonus. If he does go out there and score a hatful, then fantastic, but we won’t be placing any pressure on the lad.”

A reminder of the special promotion, which will last to the end of the 2015 season, which sees all accompanied children under the age of 16 admitted for free to home Scorpions' meetings.

Admission prices for Friday:

Adult: £15.00

Student/OAP: £13.00

Child (16 – 17): £5.00

Child (0 – 15) Free (accompanied by paying adult)

Family Ticket £35 (2 adults, 2 Children 16-17)

Match Programme: £1.00

Expected teams for Friday:

FluidAir Power Scunthorpe Scorpions, supported by Henderson Insurance: 1. Zdenek Holub, 2. Theo Pijper, 3. Andreas Lyager, 4. Carl Wilkinson, 5. Rider replacement for Ryan Douglas, 6. Alex Davies, 7. Nike Lunna.

Redcar Bears: 1. Aaron Summers (guest for Lasse Bjerre), 2. Rider replacement for Jonas Andersson, 3. Matej Kus, 4. Dimitri Berge, 5. Kenneth Hansen (guest for Stuart Robson), 6. Arthur Sissis (guest for Adam Roynon), 7. Jan Graversen.

Redcar Bears at EWR

Ave Ave

Name Lge M R Pts BP (no BP) (w BP) Best Performance

Dimitri Berge PL 1 5 3 1 2.40 3.20 3 + 1 from 5 rides (2015)

Jan Graversen PL 24 109 123 30 4.51 5.61 9 + 4 from 7 rides (2012)

Matej Kus PL 6 30 53 1 7.07 7.20 17 from 5 rides (inc 6 pts T/R (2012))

GUESTS

Kenneth Hansen PL 1 4 3 0 3.00 3.00 3 from 4 rides (2015)

Arthur Sissis PL 1 4 3 2 3.00 5.00 3 + 2 from 4 rides (2015)

Aaron Summers PL 18 84 120 9 5.71 6.14 15 from 6 rides (inc 6 pts T/R (2014))

Other Notes

Dimitri Berge

2012 World Longtrack Champion (250cc)

Has ridden in 1 World Cup meeting for his country.

Made his Premier League debut for Glasgow in 2014.

Recently signed after starting this season with Glasgow.

Jan Graversen

Former Scunthorpe Scorpion.

Member of King's Lynn's Premier League Championship, Premier Trophy and KO Cup Winning Teams in 2009.

Matej Kus

Has ridden in 4 Speedway Grand Prix and 6 World Cup Events.

2010 Czech Republic Champion.

Twice Czech Republic Under-21 Champion (2008 and 2009).

2008 Czech Republic Under-19 Champion.

GUESTS

Kenneth Hansen

2003 FIM Youth 80cc Gold Trophy Winner.

Made his Premier League debut for Workington during the 2007 season.

Arthur Sissis

Riding in his debut Premier League season.

2008/2009 Australian Under-16 Champion.

Aaron Summers

Australian Under-16 Champion in 2004.

Member of Edinburgh's Premier League Championship and Premier Trophy Winning Teams in 2008.

Member of Edinburgh's Premier League Play-Off Winning Teams in 2008 and 2009.

Member of Coventry's Elite League Winning Team in 2010.

Member of Birmingham's Premier League Four-Team Championship Winning Team in 2010.

Redcar Bears' Results at EWR

30 March 2008 PT D Scunthorpe 45 Redcar 45

06 June 2008 PL L Scunthorpe 52 Redcar 41

19 June 2009 PL L Scunthorpe 49 Redcar 44

31 July 2009 KOC L Scunthorpe 50 Redcar 39

02 October 2009 YS L Scunthorpe 56 Redcar 34

05 April 2010 PT L Scunthorpe 50 Redcar 42

02 May 2010 PL L Scunthorpe 57 Redcar 34

09 September 2011 PL L Scunthorpe 52 Redcar 41

07 October 2011 PL Ph 2 L Scunthorpe 65 Redcar 25

27 April 2012 LC L Scunthorpe 54 Redcar 36

14 September 2012 PL L Scunthorpe 55 Redcar 38

14 June 2013 KOC W Scunthorpe 41 Redcar 49

12 July 2013 PL L Scunthorpe 45 Redcar 44

06 April 2014 LC W Scunthorpe 37 Redcar 50

25 July 2014 PL L Scunthorpe 54 Redcar 39

27 August 2014 PL L Scunthorpe 46 Redcar 43

24 April 2015 LC W Scunthorpe 44 Redcar 45

(stats by John Eyre)

Edited by lucifer sam

This has the potential to be a cracking meeting if the weather allows!

I'm sure everyone would have loved to have seen Auty/Douglas/Wilson and Bjerre/Robbo/Roynon not suffering injuries and allowing both teams to field their chosen seven, but we now have what we have.

There really are question marks throughout both teams and whilst I agree Scorpions potential strength at reserve makes them favourites it could go either way. Bears appear to have good guests and have finally thought about most productive rider to use rr for, although its disappointing Jonas is missing as he is rapidly becoming our trump card!

Interesting that Holub is named at no.1, this must mean he is ranked higher than the new kid, with the consequence being he is therefore unable to take a rr ride, that might just prove to be the deciding factor, however with both teams being totally unpredictable it may be an easy stroll for either of them - not a match to have a bet on!! Lets just have a safe meeting.

This has the potential to be a cracking meeting if the weather allows!

I'm sure everyone would have loved to have seen Auty/Douglas/Wilson and Bjerre/Robbo/Roynon not suffering injuries and allowing both teams to field their chosen seven, but we now have what we have.

There really are question marks throughout both teams and whilst I agree Scorpions potential strength at reserve makes them favourites it could go either way. Bears appear to have good guests and have finally thought about most productive rider to use rr for, although its disappointing Jonas is missing as he is rapidly becoming our trump card!

Interesting that Holub is named at no.1, this must mean he is ranked higher than the new kid, with the consequence being he is therefore unable to take a rr ride, that might just prove to be the deciding factor, however with both teams being totally unpredictable it may be an easy stroll for either of them - not a match to have a bet on!! Lets just have a safe meeting.

Deciding factor NYB, is how the club lists the riders in the declaration form. In the early 00's we once had 3 3.00 pointers at the first declaration of a season, and the order decided which one that was in the main body of the team.

Deciding factor NYB, is how the club lists the riders in the declaration form. In the early 00's we once had 3 3.00 pointers at the first declaration of a season, and the order decided which one that was in the main body of the team.

Yes - I know it is down to the club to rank them, but would the higher ranked rider - who then is notionally the highest ranked rider in the team, not have to ride in the number one slot?

Yes - I know it is down to the club to rank them, but would the higher ranked rider - who then is notionally the highest ranked rider in the team, not have to ride in the number one slot?

One would have thought so, so Holub would be no 1 and would not get the RR ride .

For me this could go either way think graversen could be the difference can gate and when in front can be difficult to pass round the ewr always consider him a spoiler when he comes.

shame this is rained off,with play offs looming Redcar and Scunny must me running short of dates to fit this one in!

• Like 1

shame this is rained off,with play offs looming Redcar and Scunny must me running short of dates to fit this one in!

This will be Redcar and Scunny's own private play off final!!

• Like 1

This will be Redcar and Scunny's own private play off final!!

I have no idea when the Scunny & Redcar promotions are going to restage it, but it might well work as the final meeting of the season for both clubs, with the destiny of the wooden spoon resting on the result of the meeting. It would give the meeting a bit of extra spice, for sure.

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam

Shocking decision to call it off it's rained all day and I've ended up playing monopoly with our reserve Mr moorwell you owe me

• Like 1