British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

I don't get the 'obviously' point here.

It seems ''obvious' to me that he should be given the same terms on transport as the permanent guys.

Other words I could use would be 'decent', 'right' and 'proper'.

BECAUSE he is deemed to be based in Australia just as Jason Bunyan was in New Zealand

BECAUSE he is deemed to be based in Australia just as Jason Bunyan was in New Zealand

Again just terminology and semantics.

'Deemed' to be based in Australia.

He is travelling from the Uk just like Holder, Bachelor and Doyle.

Just a poor show not to take his gear the same way as them, gratis.

Penny pinching, tight and just a bit nasty on the part of BSI.

Whatever the excuse.

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 3

But he's clearly not! Frankly, this stinks.

I have never tried to justify what the riders are paid. Actually agree that it is on the low side. But from the first time BSI (then under control of John Postlethwaite) secured the commerce rights it was made clear to riders that while prize money would be decided by the FIM, the TV exposure provided by the series would open doors to sponsorship deals that might otherwise be closed.

That was 15 years ago before the financial 'success' of the SGP was established. It seems everyone involved with the organisation has got 'pay rises' down the years, whilst the riders have I think had only one or two modest incremental increases.

I also think it's easy to hide behind the fact that the FIM set the prize money, but really it shouldn't be like that and I'm not that's the arrangement even with most other FIM competitions.

BTW - making a wildcard pay their expenses to get to a GP is pathetic and embarrassing.

Edited by Humphrey Appleby
  • Like 3

Very surprising to realise there has been no increase in prize money since 2012. Agree that all riders competing should recieve the same travel arrangements, including Masters, and the reserves. More prize money would give the series more credibility for riders and in the market place.

The Aussie GP major sponsor is Australia's largest smallgoods manufacturing company. The GP is sponsored by salami. It says something about how the promoters of the speedway see the sport. Maybe that reflects why there has been no prize money increase, or why BSI can tell the wc to make his own arrangements for the trip to Australia.

Any wonder the sport appears to be stagnating. How can anyone else take it seriously when the organising group, and the governance authority don't.

Whoever had got the gps on satellite TV in the early days would have attracted sponsors because of it .....

Masters should just tell them to "poke it" instead of begging for money,that is the one thing the riders are good at.If he can't afford don't do it.Might even cost him earnings from Edinburgh meetings,if weather turns bad.He is also complaining about a "bad shoulder".

Masters should just tell them to "poke it" instead of begging for money,that is the one thing the riders are good at.If he can't afford don't do it.Might even cost him earnings from Edinburgh meetings,if weather turns bad.He is also complaining about a "bad shoulder".

But Masters has to get Sedgmen and Fricke to agree to to do the same. BSI probably don't give a crap which "second rate" (by that I simply mean not GP rider already) rider gets the place and will happily let a couple of locals ride.

Don't see what the big deal is regarding being wildcard,if it's going to cost you a fortune .BSI are only thinking in THEIR INTERESTS to get some local interest with the Aussies.Lets face it Fricke is the only one with GP aspirations in the future.

Edited by Fromafar

Don't see what the big deal is regarding being wildcard,if it's going to cost you a fortune .BSI are only thinking in THEIR INTERESTS to get some local interest with the Aussies.Lets face it Fricke is the only one with GP aspirations in the future.

Do you really not think that Sam has aspirations to make it into the series as a permanent rider?

Do you really not think that Sam has aspirations to make it into the series as a permanent rider?

Sorry,maybe he has.Wrong Phrase used,Personaly don't fancy his chances but good luck to him.

But Masters has to get Sedgmen and Fricke to agree to to do the same. BSI probably don't give a crap which "second rate" (by that I simply mean not GP rider already) rider gets the place and will happily let a couple of locals ride.

The point is the wc, who ever it is will be part of the show, and the reserves are needed as well. Shouldn't make any difference if they were going to come back to Australia either way. Probably got their own equipment in Aussie anyway. Did Bunyan pay his way to NZ gp. There is only one round being held outside of Europe, surely BSI can come up with the dollars to complete the start list. All three are local riders, who just happen to be riding in Europe. We are talking about a 20 000 km trip, not a drive down the freeway. Not about special treatment, just realistic approach to a special circumstance. What if the wc was Sayfutdinov, or Zmarlik.

As much as this is a commercial venture for BSI, it's also partly about the money for each of the riders also.

It,s a ridiculous demand. Everyone should be on the team flight, you don't tell the reserves to make their own way to the ground. If you put on a show, you don't say to the performers we'll meet you there. Common sense.

• Like 2

I think it is rather disgusting of the organisers to expect ANY rider to make their own way to a GP event, and all the more so with it being 1000's of miles away. If BSI or anyone has decided a commercial venture in Aussie is viable then they surely must have looked at potential costs before making that decision, and to me this potential costs must include the cost of getting people in place to make it happen.

Like most motorsports, speedway will rely on volunteers to "make the event happen", for example as marshalls, but when the sport is professional, as speedway is, then one expects the actual competitors need some sort of reimbursement for there efforts, and to me it means reimbursing travel expensed.

I see whats happening, BSI or whoever, is relying on a competitor thinking of the personal pride, or prestige of riding in a world championship GP, and try, thats how I would feel if chosen - who wouldn't want to race in a world championship series in front of a big crowd especially if it was your "home"country. But when that GP meeting would incur a lot of personal expense, and the organisers are in a business situation, I think it is "tight" of the organisers to be thinking that way.

So come on BSI, do the right thing, don't be so tight, get the wallet out and pay the youngster expenses the same as you would/are the others.

• Like 1