British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Shale Searcher

Where Did All This Arguing Happen Before The Internet?

Yep, where? By letter? Landline phones? Pub? After meeting in the track bar?

I think most people didn't argue except on race nights, fans were very much home team living.. Cov fan to cov fan, Poole fan to Poole fan, you never had fans from different teams chatting/arguing except on race nights, most fans lived in the team's area...

Edited by Shale Searcher

Thing is with the internet and forums, people can hide behind a name that is not real, and put up a photo of something not representing them in reality, and then they hide behind a keyboard as well.

One forum I belong to, my last profession as a professional carpet cleaner, the majority have their photo and real name shown, if not that then it would be a photo of their van with sign writing. Those were the rules of the forum introduced just in the last couple years. No one can use a gmail or hotmail type of account either. Everything had to be traceable, including the ip address. This helped stop members have more then one account. No major issues on that forum at all. Well run with moderators always about and they are known to all as the moderators.

• Like 1

it was the boring old guy in the pub who used to waffle on……. sorry that's TWK.

and SCB ;)

• Like 1

Here goes, dont know if I the first to do it but a change of name to my real name and yep, thats a photo of me.

Anyone care to follow....?????

Lets start a trend to display proper names and real photos.

Edited by Joe Hatton

That would make the pics of Kks interesting!

• Like 5

Here goes, dont know if I the first to do it but a change of name to my real name and yep, thats a photo of me.

Hmmmm, how did you manage to do that? Or did you have to produce a new user?

Yes, but who were you before? :D

I don't have a problem people knowing my name. A lot of the people who post here know it anyway. Including some of the ones I disagree with.. I certainly won't be changing it though, I like it and it's my dogs name..

Edited by Jacques

No I didnt do a new user, I kept all my posts 650 prior to this one. Nothing changed at all except my real name now and my photo.

Yes, but who were you before? :D

I don't have a problem people knowing my name. A lot of the people who post here know it anyway. Including some of the ones I disagree with.. I certainly won't be changing it though, I like it and it's my dogs name..

I have been meaning to ask whether it is Zhack or Jakes ? :)

I don't think there was any major outlet for argument, comment or debate before the creation of the internet other than the terraces or the pub. They are still the same today whilst we can express our feelings to a far wider audience online.

To me, that's a good thing and while its a question of sorting the wheat from the chaff I find it disappointing that members of the BSPA apparently ignore it altogether.

Edited by Halifaxtiger

Not the first. I did it from the day I joined. Can't understand why so many don't. Could one of the anonymous ones explain?
  • Like 1

I have been meaning to ask whether it is Zhack or Jakes ? :)

I don't think there was any major outlet for argument, comment or debate before the creation of the internet other than the terraces or the pub. They are still the same today whilst we can express our feelings to a far wider audience online.

To me, that's a good thing and while its a question of sorting the wheat from the chaff I find it disappointing that members of the BSPA apparently ignore it altogether.

It's neither, my name is Sue. Jacques is the name of one of my dogs, he's named after Jacques Cousteau, my husband chose it as he's a keen scuba diver. it's amazing how many people don't know how to pronounce it, I've been called all sorts of things over the years, not all necessarily all mispronunciations though :D

• Like 2

Not the first. I did it from the day I joined. Can't understand why so many don't. Could one of the anonymous ones explain?

Excellent, that makes two of us at least - any more want to join the new trend.???

It's neither, my name is Sue. Jacques is the name of one of my dogs, he's named after Jacques Cousteau, my husband chose it as he's a keen scuba diver. it's amazing how many people don't know how to pronounce it, I've been called all sorts of things over the years, not all necessarily all mispronunciations though :D

Isn't his name just pronounced Jack?

All the best

Rob

Isn't his name just pronounced Jack?

All the best

Rob

No, it's professor Poo, as you well know :D

• Like 2

Good idea I'm up for it and have changed
  • Like 1