British Speedway Forum
topaz325

Speedway Satr Interview With Dave Swanton

Mr Swanton's opinions are worth reading. To decry the whole article on one point someone doesn't like is silly.

Speedway needs ideas. New ideas, old ideas revamped and ideas to arrest the current decline.

• Like 1

So what happens when the fortnightly meeting is 'rained off' ~ wait another 2 weeks for the next one so it's one in a month? Sorry but I'd like to go to the Speedway every week and know that Friday night is Speedway night at Coventry and if that means getting rid of the GP/SEC riders so there is no clash with our matches I'll put up with it.

• Like 2

Not impressed at all and to have a go at PK one of the finest riders that has graced our tracks proves he hasn't got a clue!!!!

• Like 1

Poor old editor who sanctioned that article sounds like!

Have to agree with Gemini.. I regularly attend at Sheffield, I know thursday night is speedway night and I look forward to it most of the week. If it becomes fortnightly, then we get a rain off, what will myself and other fans do? Probably find something else that we can do most weeks. What works in other countries doesn't mean it will work here. Some riders prefer Britain because it means more regular meetings, and if the GP boys don't like it then off they go to Poland and Sweden. They'll soon be back when they get dropped or can't get a team place.

I'd rather see a team of the same 1-7 most weeks and continue to enjoy a home meeting every thursday with the odd away trip when possible.

• Like 2

So what happens when the fortnightly meeting is 'rained off' ~ wait another 2 weeks for the next one so it's one in a month? Sorry but I'd like to go to the Speedway every week and know that Friday night is Speedway night at Coventry and if that means getting rid of the GP/SEC riders so there is no clash with our matches I'll put up with it.

It seems a lot of the "older" fans think the same.

I cannot get any enthusiasm for a team made up of riders who simply turn up, do 5 heats then get in a vehicle and push off to Sweden/Denmark/Poland and do it all over again elsewhere.

• Like 1

I wonder where the GP boys will ride when they are finished with the GPs.

I seriously doubt BSI will look after them.

Ah well - back to Racing in Britain.

Have to agree with Gemini.. I regularly attend at Sheffield, I know thursday night is speedway night and I look forward to it most of the week. If it becomes fortnightly, then we get a rain off, what will myself and other fans do? Probably find something else that we can do most weeks. What works in other countries doesn't mean it will work here. Some riders prefer Britain because it means more regular meetings, and if the GP boys don't like it then off they go to Poland and Sweden. They'll soon be back when they get dropped or can't get a team place.

I'd rather see a team of the same 1-7 most weeks and continue to enjoy a home meeting every thursday with the odd away trip when possible.

I THINK you have spotlighted the big difference between Elite and Premier. I agree with you ... Thursday night used to be Wimbledon night for me. Regular as clockwork unless the weather intervened. But that hardly applies to EL tracks these days.

I wonder where the GP boys will ride when they are finished with the GPs.

I seriously doubt BSI will look after them.

Ah well - back to Racing in Britain.

PRESUMABLY they will just carry on riding in Sweden, Poland, Denmark, Germany or Czecho. There is nothing to stop GP riders racing here now, it's their choice and all but seven choose to boycott the UK.

• Like 1

any rider in the pl averaging above 8 shold only be allowed to race in the lite league. bring back the 3 point reserves.no double uppers. less foriegn superstars.bring on the nl boys . they are the future. there will be a lot less gaps in the pl fixture list. less hassle for riders.maybe even do awy with the 42.50 average points total. let teams build great sides.the lite league will run around the g.p, world cup , etc and not drag top pl guys into a meeting they must attend, because they will already be in the iop flight of speedway. how can the pl justify having the likes of cook,barkerwell kurtz masters riding in the 2nd tier of the uk sport and be on call for team gb ?

less r/r, less guests in the lite league.

the pl will be better off without the top pl guys. you will still get the same racing ,but a wee bit slower. no more gate n go in the pl. the nl boys get pulled along and progress as the season goes on.

less superstars = less out goings = less entrance fees. = more fans = more shop sales , the end product is what matters. no more clubs paying for riders to be flown in and out of the uk.

ex top pl guys and el guys can then ride abroad and not affect the uk speedway scene.

its been a steep down hill run for speedway in the uk and we have gained a great deal of speed, now here comes the brick wall.

its got to be done or uk speedway is finished.

sorry if there is any spelling mistakes, but i dont hav ethe time to proof read this post..

Edited by jenga
  • Like 2

any rider in the pl averaging above 8 shold only be allowed to race in the lite league. bring back the 3 point reserves.no double uppers. less foriegn superstars.bring on the nl boys . they are the future. there will be a lot less gaps in the pl fixture list. less hassle for riders.maybe even do awy with the 42.50 average points total. let teams build great sides.the lite league will run around the g.p, world cup , etc and not drag top pl guys into a meeting they must attend, because they will already be in the iop flight of speedway. how can the pl justify having the likes of cook,barkerwell kurtz masters riding in the 2nd tier of the uk sport and be on call for team gb ?

less r/r, less guests in the lite league.

the pl will be better off without the top pl guys. you will still get the same racing ,but a wee bit slower. no more gate n go in the pl. the nl boys get pulled along and progress as the season goes on.

less superstars = less out goings = less entrance fees. = more fans = more shop sales , the end product is what matters. no more clubs paying for riders to be flown in and out of the uk.often willing to share with the younger riders

ex top pl guys and el guys can then ride abroad and not affect the uk speedway scene.

its been a steep down hill run for speedway in the uk and we have gained a great deal of speed, now here comes the brick wall.

its got to be done or uk speedway is finished.

sorry if there is any spelling mistakes, but i dont hav ethe time to proof read this post..

Sorry I cant agree IMO I have no issue with riders stayng in the PL who achieve 8 plus average as you need a cross section of riders to make the sport worth watching.As to former EL riders dropping down agan I feel it is not an issue and they bring skill and experience which they are often willing to pass this on to the younger riders .

Edited by FAST GATER

i dont know what team that you support , but has there been any gaps in the fixture list of your team ? how many riders in your team does the world cup, international meetings affect ?

im not lookig for a war of words, but some thing has to be done next season or we all wont see our 2016 season out. i am quite happy to see a team of 7.99 point riders EVERY week. they will still give me my entertainment fix.

any more ideas ?