British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Jason.C

Techy Question: Nicki P's Bike @ Gorzow Gp

Noticed this electronic display inside Nicki's bike after his crash last weekend, and wondered if anyone knows what it is. I've never seen or heard of something like this before on a speedway bike, and my first guess was perhaps it is some sort of temperature gauge? or a victim count for how many riders have fallen foul to him on the night?

eyVLvs.jpg

Edited by Jason.C

Could be a data logger. Can be used to gather info about timing, acceleration, speed, racing line, engine rpm, engine temperature... everything.

It is a datalogger. The only one in the GP, at least early on this season.

Makes sense. When you say "the only one in the gp, at least early in the gp",does this mean Nicki was the only rider known to be using it for his teams own reference, or is it something that only one rider is allocated at random to gather info? Now that I think of it, I'm sure rickardsson used a similar method to stay on top.

It is a datalogger. The only one in the GP, at least early on this season.

Used to be illegal, guess rules have changed like the use of titanium.

I think it is still illegal to be in contact with telemetry (two way action) equipment while racing? But logging data and download it after race isnt? Funny that Nicky is using Karting equipment with display. There would be equipment that you just contact with bluetooth and download your data on your laptop.

Used to be illegal, guess rules have changed like the use of titanium.

Data logging is not illegal. As long as it solely logs rather than feeds back. Lindback was using it about 10 years ago.

I think it is still illegal to be in contact with telemetry (two way action) equipment while racing? But logging data and download it after race isnt? Funny that Nicky is using Karting equipment with display. There would be equipment that you just contact with bluetooth and download your data on your laptop.

There must be something as Lindback was using a laptop in the past.

I meant early on in the gp season 2015. I checked/looked every bike at Warsaw SGP and the tech inspector at Tampere SGP confirmed me it was the only bike. So I had some confidence to say it was the only one, early on. Its legal for everone, Nicki is just the only one using such. And like said, hasnt done much good.

I didnt make notes, but know/remember for certain that it records rear wheel rpm and GPS for racing lines. It had a couple of other features, which combined in a right and illegal way can effectively used as traction control. But the system has a FIM stamp on it and it's legal.

Interesting stuff, thanks fsp. scb, I think lindback was usinng a similar method to rickardsson backt then... I think recall hearing that trick was one of the first to use laptops for data logging around the same time he introduced the penske race frame. Lindback inherited the frames after tony retired, so i assume he passed on other aids too!

I meant early on in the gp season 2015. I checked/looked every bike at Warsaw SGP and the tech inspector at Tampere SGP confirmed me it was the only bike. So I had some confidence to say it was the only one, early on. Its legal for everone, Nicki is just the only one using such. And like said, hasnt done much good.

I didnt make notes, but know/remember for certain that it records rear wheel rpm and GPS for racing lines. It had a couple of other features, which combined in a right and illegal way can effectively used as traction control. But the system has a FIM stamp on it and it's legal.

"GPS" for "racing lines"

Is GPS really that sensitive? A metre left, metre right?

Surely can't be that sensitive?

"GPS" for "racing lines"

Is GPS really that sensitive? A metre left, metre right?

Surely can't be that sensitive?

p

Cant answer that TBH. The year before most riders had helmet cams in practise to record the racing lines and then watch them together with mechanics's feedback work on the setup and lines. This info from a GP rider.

If it was speed, not racing lines, that would make much more sense actually! :lol: recording the wheelspin combined with speed, makes a lot of sense.

Cant remember the name of the gadget, but I once made a rider wear one during a meeting. It had a heart rate monitor and gps combined in it. Could almost swear that the gps data showed four lines in both bends in one heat.

p

Cant answer that TBH. The year before most riders had helmet cams in practise to record the racing lines and then watch them together with mechanics's feedback work on the setup and lines. This info from a GP rider.

If it was speed, not racing lines, that would make much more sense actually! :lol: recording the wheelspin combined with speed, makes a lot of sense.

Cant remember the name of the gadget, but I once made a rider wear one during a meeting. It had a heart rate monitor and gps combined in it. Could almost swear that the gps data showed four lines in both bends in one heat.

Doh!!

Speed against wheelspin makes more sense... Finding the optimum top end straight line speed, whilst still being able to get out the gate and to the first corner first without killing the motor...

Im using GPS tracker app in my phone to get info about my cycling. For me its just avg. speed and so on. But I took a close look on the route and noticed that on one downhill. There is a hole in the road and I had to change side to avoid it and I saw the same move on the GPS/map. About 1-1,5m change of line. This happened in speed of 45kph and tracked with just a phone.

For racing purposes there is a bluetooth gps-transponders with higher Hz than in phones. You can connect it to an app on smartphone or datalogger. In real datalogger you can get info from multiple sensors like rpm, exhaust lambda-sensor, throttle position, de/acceleration, wheelspin, suspension and lines, timing by gps.

Data logging is not illegal. As long as it solely logs rather than feeds back. Lindback was using it about 10 years ago.

There must be something as Lindback was using a laptop in the past.

Nothing new, Billy Hamill had datalogger when he rode for Belle Vue in 1997, had a laptop in the pits.