British Speedway Forum
Big Al

Leicester Lions 2016

Think that still makes then behind most teams last year.

Edited by arnieg

From the way the last message read on the Lions website I would not be at all suprised to see Jason Doyle and Sam Master returning next year. Plus the 2 Poles after they came for the final dinner, so that only really needs one more place to fill plus 2 reserves.

Will JD be race fit by March?

Good chance. The physical injuries he has should be ok within 12 weeks due to normal recovery and physio. This should leave him time to get his strength and stamina up to scratch. I guess the incident couldn't have occurred at a better time for JD though big pity it happened in the first place thanks to Greg (unintentionally) laying his bike down into JD's back wheel!

Ground Share at Leicester

Doubts over the future of speedway at the Brandon Stadium, the home of the Coventry Bees, was heightened yesterday with the news that planning consultants had outlined proposals to build 250 houses on the site. Coventry’s Promoter Mick Horton’s reaction to the news was that he estimated the club had probably eighteen months to find a new home and stated that a ground share with Leicester Speedway may be an interim solution due to its close proximity.

“It is in the interest of British Speedway and especially the Elite League that the identity of the Coventry Bees is maintained in British Speedway and to this end Leicester Speedway would be only too happy to enter into negotiations that would assist in providing a home for the Coventry Bees as required to ensure that the club retained continuity in both the short and medium term and to ensure the name is not lost” said the Lions Promoter David Hemsley.

Some Lions fans are already saying that, if this happens, they will stop coming to Beaumont Park. They don't remember the Ochiltrees making a similar offer to the Lions in 1983! The only good thing that might come out of this is if any rental income was used to improve the track and spectator facilities.

• Like 2

Some Lions fans are already saying that, if this happens, they will stop coming to Beaumont Park. They don't remember the Ochiltrees making a similar offer to the Lions in 1983!

Are people still bitter about something that happened over 30 years ago, and involved none of the current Coventry promotion?

I also seem to remember reading some investigation into the actual facts of this, and that in reality Ochiltrees were only bit part players in the whole closing down of Leicester.

• Like 2

Some Lions fans are already saying that, if this happens, they will stop coming to Beaumont Park. They don't remember the Ochiltrees making a similar offer to the Lions in 1983! The only good thing that might come out of this is if any rental income was used to improve the track and spectator facilities.

I know these people would be 50+ but that's the mentality of a 5 year old.

Edited by woz01
  • Like 1

It is ridiculace that any Lions fans would want to stay away from BP if the Bees came there, what happened over all those long years ago is water under the bridge, it is with great resolve on the part of DH to offer the Bees a life line to keep the club running.

It was just the same when they gave Long Eaton the chance to race again, they may never be able to find anywhere in Long Eaton to build a new track but at least they have a place to call home of sorts. I just hope that the same never happens to the Bees that they can soon find the land they need and if the offer of racing at BP is the route they have to take for the time needed to get a new stadium up and running, then it is far better to have them ride at BP than lose the name of the Bees from our sport.

So let bygones be bygones, we have lost enough fan base as it is without losing some to old and long past incidents,

It is ridiculace that any Lions fans would want to stay away from BP if the Bees came there, what happened over all those long years ago is water under the bridge, it is with great resolve on the part of DH to offer the Bees a life line to keep the club running.

It was just the same when they gave Long Eaton the chance to race again, they may never be able to find anywhere in Long Eaton to build a new track but at least they have a place to call home of sorts. I just hope that the same never happens to the Bees that they can soon find the land they need and if the offer of racing at BP is the route they have to take for the time needed to get a new stadium up and running, then it is far better to have them ride at BP than lose the name of the Bees from our sport.

So let bygones be bygones, we have lost enough fan base as it is without losing some to old and long past incidents,

Good post. It might not be needed yet but it is likely. Horton during the interview was talking hypothetically of course nothing is set in stone as yet. We all waiting for the announcement at Christmas where this site is

Are people still bitter about something that happened over 30 years ago, and involved none of the current Coventry promotion?

I also seem to remember reading some investigation into the actual facts of this, and that in reality Ochiltrees were only bit part players in the whole closing down of Leicester.

It's a 'don't mention the war' Basil Fawlty attitude. Unbelievable...

Maybe a ground share would be a great idea

We could both race Friday nights and we could see racing every week instead of one week in 3

Plus we could keep Jason Doyle which has to be top of Mr Helmsleys agenda

Win win I reckon

Any ardent fan would hate to see an elite league minus the bees and I don't get the view that Lions fans would walk away rather than share their stadium with the bees - ridiculous and small minded

• Like 2

Shirl, that is the best idea put forward yet to both race on a Friday. So how many petty small minded people have we actually got at BP I am pretty sure that there where not that many fans who stayed away on the nights the Lions face the Bees at home, same difference.

Maybe a ground share would be a great idea

We could both race Friday nights and we could see racing every week instead of one week in 3

Plus we could keep Jason Doyle which has to be top of Mr Helmsleys agenda

Win win I reckon

Any ardent fan would hate to see an elite league minus the bees and I don't get the view that Lions fans would walk away rather than share their stadium with the bees - ridiculous and small minded

Sorry to say most of the Friday nights they dont race on are because they avoid them because of the GPs the next day.

P S. Having had a re-think more and more GP riders are dropping the Elite league every year so by 2017 sadly Friday and Saturday nights might not be a problem anymore.

Edited by B.V 72