British Speedway Forum
Big Al

Leicester Lions 2016

Would racing on Friday's really have made that much difference to someone like Doyle for instance? Although Chris Harris has often given up the GP practice to ride for the Bees I doubt if many riders would be willing to do this. So what top rider/s do you think would sign for the Lions this season if they changed to Friday's?

Yes. Because he was only concerned about the limited time he had to travel to Poland and recover in time for the meeting given the late night finish on Saturday/early start Sunday. GP's were not an issue.

• Like 1

Doyle would have stayed if the Lions moved their race night from Saturday to (say) Wed Thurs or Friday & he would have been happy to support Lions team building plans - the concept of mediocrity and not having a winning team was not an issue with him. As for moving from Saturday night, we need to remember that the Lions reentered British speedway as a PL Saturday night track which was more than not an ideal situation. The move to EL challenged that concept but...the correct questions to ask are"what alternatives were available?" and "were the Lions given a choice?" I believe the answers are "None" & "no" Meanwhile the promotion completed two seasons, the first no doubt a learning one the second blighted by injuries and resignations. Sure DH has stuck by his guns for Saturday night but given the circumstances I don't think he should be castigated for doing so and remember he is the ultimate loser or beneficiary of such decisions. Next year (2017) things will change, it wont be too late, but it would be good if before then the BSPA did allow the Lions to race on a Friday because even at this late stage this would provide a helping hand for the Lions to sign riders even on a temporary basis giving them time to finalise full time additions if required...sorry Coventry, but think of the big picture and the overall well being of the sport rather than your own short term agenda.

I am not sure that statement would be correct.

JD, I would say is very competitive. Australians are generally v.competitive (well except Troy :P ) and I have witnessed some serious moves by him (that's JD not Troy obviously :P ) at Swindon so for him to ride for a team that is not a 'winning team' I don't buy at all.

In the link below JD mentions the play offs and also being around fellow Australians so I am guessing that he enjoys working in a comfortable and familiar environment with the opportunity to win silverware. That may or may not have been the case with Leicester this season.

http://www.speedwaygp.com/news/article/4653/doyle-named-swindon-skipper

Finally some good news for Leicester fans... Piotr Swiderski won't be a Lion next year! (Signed for Lakeside as 1 of 6 of their top 5...)

Has anybody else noticed that all Leicester home matches are listed as provisional so there must be something going on either pulling out or change of race night the plot thickens especially with reports of some squad members

• Like 1

Has anybody else noticed that all Leicester home matches are listed as provisional so there must be something going on either pulling out or change of race night the plot thickens especially with reports of some squad members

What reports of what squad members? I think a change of race night is probably more likely than pulling out of the league

It's not all of them - just most of them! But, as you say, it looks as if something's going on. As usual we are left guessing as there is nothing on the Lion's website.

Edited by Happy Hunter

Most are provisional,so clearly there are things going on......but the away fixtures are all "definite" which would suggest impending change of race night is the likelier cause

• Like 2

I can't even see any home matches on the official website except for the first two against Sheffield. Where is everyone getting the 'full' fixture list from?

I can't even see any home matches on the official website except for the first two against Sheffield. Where is everyone getting the 'full' fixture list from?

http://leicesterlions.co/fixtures/

Edited by stevebrum

Possibly Coventry have agreed (reluctantly i would imagine) to let Leicester run on a limited number of Fridays.

Together with this squad system, which Lakeside have gone public with (more info awaited from BSPA, of course), it could add up to fudging a way through for Leicester.

I would expect that Leicester's squad will be mostly PL level riders, but you never know they may entice someone of Heat leader calibre, just don't expect him/them to make too many appearances.

Possibly Coventry have agreed (reluctantly i would imagine) to let Leicester run on a limited number of Fridays.

Together with this squad system, which Lakeside have gone public with (more info awaited from BSPA, of course), it could add up to fudging a way through for Leicester.

I would expect that Leicester's squad will be mostly PL level riders, but you never know they may entice someone of Heat leader calibre, just don't expect him/them to make too many appearances.

What's Coventry got to do with it? If Leicester want to race Friday's they will, whether Coventry like it or not.