British Speedway Forum
Big Al

Leicester Lions 2016

Club Statement

The news story that appeared on the Daily Star’s website on Wednesday that Jason Doyle was possibly looking for a new team in 2016 initially caused a ripple within the club. The Australian Champion was quoted as saying that his thinking was based on a punishing travel schedule that sees him with little rest time between racing for the Lions on a Saturday night at the Jordan Road Surfacing Stadium and then fulfilling his commitment to his Polish club, Torun the next day.

“I have noted Jason's concerns that he has about riding for a Saturday track and can appreciate what he is saying. Norrie and I will be outlining our plans for next season with Jason and hopefully together we can find ways to resolve the problem. Fans can be assured that we will do everything possible to ensure that Jason is at Leicester next year” said the Lions Promoter David Hemsley.

JASON DOYLE is set to stun Leicester by turning down a new deal.

By Peter Oakes / Published 23rd September 2015

Jason Doyle

Doyle is looking for a new club

The Grand Prix star topped the scorecharts in his second year on loan to the Lions.

But he's now looking for a new club next season because he doesn't want to race in Britain on Saturday nights.

Doyle, 29, is convinced a move to a midweek Elite League outfit would help his career and prevent him from burnout.

He said: "Racing in England on a Saturday messes up my week really. We'll finish at Leicester at 10pm, be at Stansted Airport by 1am and then get up at 4am for a flight to Poland at 6.

“Racing in England on a Saturday messes up my week really”

Jason Doyle

"That takes a massive toll on me, on my body and my mind, and I just think it'd be a lot easier if I had a midweek race day."

His decision is a major blow to the Lions and leaves them desperate to find a new No 1 for next season

Jason Doyle

The Grand Prix star topped the scorecharts in his second year on loan to the Lions.

But he's now looking for a new club next season because he doesn't want to race in Britain on Saturday nights.

Doyle, 29, is convinced a move to a midweek Elite League outfit would help his career and prevent him from burnout.

He said: "Racing in England on a Saturday messes up my week really. We'll finish at Leicester at 10pm, be at Stansted Airport by 1am and then get up at 4am for a flight to Poland at 6.

“Racing in England on a Saturday messes up my week really”

Jason Doyle

"That takes a massive toll on me, on my body and my mind, and I just think it'd be a lot easier if I had a midweek race day."

His decision is a major blow to the Lions and leaves them desperate to find a new No 1 for next season

Lions race on Friday..problem solved and still a no school next day scenario...of course other speedway promoters may object...after all cant do anything that may help another club eh?

I can't see them going for a Friday night, as it would still not help him when it came to racing in the GP's. They normally have a Friday practice.

With him riding in Poland on a Sunday, the GP's on a Saturday, and Sweden on a Tuesday, it only really makes any sense to race on a Thursady, if they really want to keep him at BP. One way to solve the problem is make the Poles race on a Monday, but they are the ones who rule the roost now, not this country.

Not sure how many fans the Lions would lose going for a mid week racenight as there are a lot of fand who bring young children along, I for on, would not be able to come as being disabled I need my grandson there with me as a carrer, just in case, anything happens to me, it is far to late when it finishes when he is on a school night. It is past 11pm by the time we get back to South Derbyshire. It is far to late for him when he needs to get up at 7.30am to get ready for school.

Saturdays work really well for anyone who likes to go as a family and there are quite a lot of young face at BP. Would be a shame to lose them to the sport, as they are the future fans. Again we are being dictated to by riders who race in the other European clubs who pay far more than they get over here.

Even if all the clubs went for the same race night, the top names would not come flooding back again, the British promoters have decided that they will not be held over a barrel by these so called gods who ask for silly money, that is what put a lot of clubs in a bad way financially we they used to flock over here. Unlees they could bring in the crowds, which they didn't, then the clubs where losing money.

I can't see them going for a Friday night, as it would still not help him when it came to racing in the GP's. They normally have a Friday practice.

With him riding in Poland on a Sunday, the GP's on a Saturday, and Sweden on a Tuesday, it only really makes any sense to race on a Thursady, if they really want to keep him at BP. One way to solve the problem is make the Poles race on a Monday, but they are the ones who rule the roost now, not this country.

Not sure how many fans the Lions would lose going for a mid week racenight as there are a lot of fand who bring young children along, I for on, would not be able to come as being disabled I need my grandson there with me as a carrer, just in case, anything happens to me, it is far to late when it finishes when he is on a school night. It is past 11pm by the time we get back to South Derbyshire. It is far to late for him when he needs to get up at 7.30am to get ready for school.

Saturdays work really well for anyone who likes to go as a family and there are quite a lot of young face at BP. Would be a shame to lose them to the sport, as they are the future fans. Again we are being dictated to by riders who race in the other European clubs who pay far more than they get over here.

Even if all the clubs went for the same race night, the top names would not come flooding back again, the British promoters have decided that they will not be held over a barrel by these so called gods who ask for silly money, that is what put a lot of clubs in a bad way financially we they used to flock over here. Unlees they could bring in the crowds, which they didn't, then the clubs where losing money.

I have already suggested earlier in this topic that race nights for Elite should be Thursday & Friday - I would suggest that when there is A GP then teams ensure they arrange fixtures so that there is equality in who misses out on Friday meetings. For Leicester this would be a better solution than they operated this season i.e. GP weekend meant no meeting at BP.

How many kids go? I don't recall seeing that many but I confess I am not really looking.

I know a number which would be interested in going but can't as they are busy on Saturdays so a midweek may well suit a number if people and give a chance to attract a new set of supporters

How many kids go? I don't recall seeing that many but I confess I am not really looking.

I know a number which would be interested in going but can't as they are busy on Saturdays so a midweek may well suit a number if people and give a chance to attract a new set of supporters

Mid week at Leicester hasn't been popular except the sky match for £7.50

Jason Doyle

Racing in England on a Saturday messes up my week really

Jason Doyle

That's probably the most he's ever mentioned Leicester in any interview he's given to the SS.

The Lions promotion are saying the right things with regard to hanging on to Doyle. Just how far they are prepared to go remains to be seen. If that means a change of race night, it is a big call for Hemsley who clearly sees a shift from Saturday as risk on crowd numbers. If he were to take the plunge (which most people doubt), I just hope he does not lose sight of the bigger picture regarding the team. For two seasons JD has surpassed all our expectations and is probably the best Lions rider I have seen (I go back as far as the early 70s), yet our Elite league performances have been dismal. Keeping Doyle would be a start but not job done. I would therefore prefer to see more effort put into general team building rather than revolve everything around one rider, as brilliant as he is. As we know, it's no fun having a GP superstar when you're an Elite basement team.

• Like 2

Lions race on Friday..problem solved and still a no school next day scenario...of course other speedway promoters may object...after all cant do anything that may help another club eh?

To be fair why on earth should Coventry be agreeable for a club only 20 miles away to take over their race night especially as quite a lot of fans go to both tracks at the moment? All this to keep Jason Doyle? If Leicester changed to Friday's he'd still probably want to go to all the G.P. practices so they'd be no better off.

To be fair why on earth should Coventry be agreeable for a club only 20 miles away to take over their race night especially as quite a lot of fans go to both tracks at the moment? All this to keep Jason Doyle? If Leicester changed to Friday's he'd still probably want to go to all the G.P. practices so they'd be no better off.

Doyle won't miss SGP practices so he won't want to go to a Friday or Saturday track. As a Swindon asset I think he will be a Robin next year. Rosco has already said he is a rider he is considering.

Edited by mdmc82

Let's be honest having Jason Doyle, as good as he is, at Leicester hasn't done us a lot of good regards league position has it.

My suggestion would be to concentrate on building a strong 1 to 7.

Let's be honest having Jason Doyle, as good as he is, at Leicester hasn't done us a lot of good regards league position has it.

My suggestion would be to concentrate on building a strong 1 to 7.

Indeed. We need to find a set of riders who want to ride for us all season, not whose hearts and minds are elsewhere. If we can afford them of course.

There is another way ,although it's too late for Doyle Etc, when a raw Aussie comes here to learn his trade as an endless stream have in the past , they sign lifetime contract that as long as they are riding their priority will be in the UK . fees for their training will be waived permanently . unless they decide not to ride in the Uk . when they will be charged £1,000 per season fees + any transfer fees clubs have incurred , They can either accept this on day 1 , or go straight to Poland

Leicester can solve their race night problem easily , keep Saturday, go back in the premier league . build a bar in the stadium for those who are interested to wath the GP

He didn't miss any GPs last season because Leicester's fixtures were arranged to accommodate him. It is his desire to do better on Sundays in Poland. I can understand this because in some of his Polish League matches that I have watched he has looked to be below par. He thinks getting to Poland earlier will benefit him.