British Speedway Forum
Big Al

Leicester Lions 2016

There is the Starman 'can't do' outlook once again. How about we implement it in a similar fashion to Sweden where it seems to be successful? To my mind you sign ten riders and can use any combination of those as long as your match day team comes under the points limit using the averages those riders started the season on. Should be no need for R/R or guests and riders who don't want to ride a whole season of 28+ meetings don't have to. Certainly not going to entice every top rider back over here but would encourage some to return.

We know all about that, but easy in principal, but not in practical.

Why?

1, Travelling costs, 2, will these retained riders be expecting a retainer, 3 admission prices will enevitably have to go up to accomodate this 4, will the lesser light clubs if you like to call them be able to afford it, my guess is no. 5, will this bring in more fans, in the short term maybe, but when the anti climax dies down my guess is not.

Edited by Starman2006

1, Travelling costs, 2, will these retained riders be expecting a retainer, 3 admission prices will enevitably have to go up to accomodate this 4, will the lesser light clubs if you like to call them be able to afford it, my guess is no. 5, will this bring in more fans, in the short term maybe, but when the anti climax dies down my guess is not.

You'll have 3 riders that are not the flavour of the month, and only get a ride when there's injuries, what do they do for the rest of the season?? Get paid for not riding, get paid enough to live on and keep A1 equipment? Go sign for someone else, then when needed, they won't be available so guests will be required again, they'll be a whole raft of lesser skilled, or face doesn't quite fit riders that won't get enough racing and won't be able to make it pay, and be lost to the sport, and well, here we go again....!!!

• Like 2

You'll have 3 riders that are not the flavour of the month, and only get a ride when there's injuries, what do they do for the rest of the season?? Get paid for not riding, get paid enough to live on and keep A1 equipment? Go sign for someone else, then when needed, they won't be available so guests will be required again, they'll be a whole raft of lesser skilled, or face doesn't quite fit riders that won't get enough racing and won't be able to make it pay, and be lost to the sport, and well, here we go again....!!!

I'd imagine every rider would have to appear in a certain number of meetings. And I don't see many riders just doing EL, most riders ply their trade in more than one league. The system wouldn't be without its issues but Starman always seems to look for problems where there potential solutions, boils down to how much you want the sport to change for the better I suppose and whether your glass is half full or empty. One thing is for certain, EL speedway can't keep going along its current path or there won't be a league for Poole to win every year.

Edited by Gordon Bennett
  • Like 3

Matt Ford has spoken about clubs having a foreign number 8 who can replace rider in the 2-5 position when missing. It seems it could possibly be used this year.

• Like 1

Matt Ford has spoken about clubs having a foreign number 8 who can replace rider in the 2-5 position when missing. It seems it could possibly be used this year.

If it happens then the rider has too have an average lower than the 5th placed rider in the averages or it will be abused.

What happened to bend 1 and 2 ?

Nothing, bar clearing the ditches up, did,t think it was going to happen after all the talk about the weather, there has been at least a good week with no rain of any significance falling. So it could have been done, by now. Not sure when It will get altered now. Next season probablly. As for not having my heart into the speedway this year, this is the worst EL I can remember. You have 2 teams that are worth a note and the rest, the other six are terrible to say the least, we are paying an extra £2 entrance fee, to watch a team that is going to stuggle along again, I can see a couple of them leaving in a few mmonths time and then where does it leave the Lions.

It would have been better to have gone back down to the PL at least we would see some decent racing. Not sure what this coming season is going to be like but I think it will be a mediocre season. I can go to Darly and watch 3 times as much racing for half the cost of what will will to get into watch the Lions and it is the same distance from where I live.

Will next year be any better and will the Lions still be up and running in the EL or PL or will the stadium be sold on.

If it happens then the rider has too have an average lower than the 5th placed rider in the averages or it will be abused.

A simple solution would be long as 1-7 named for a meeting is under the limit using their average from the start of the season then dont see the issue. I did read it would have to be a rider new to Britain, for example Poole wanted to use Kacper Woryna for the role.

• Like 1

A simple solution would be long as 1-7 named for a meeting is under the limit using their average from the start of the season then dont see the issue. I did read it would have to be a rider new to Britain, for example Poole wanted to use Kacper Woryna for the role.

So what happens if number 8 ave does not take the team under the limit ? hardly simple ...just another rule than muddies the water and is open to cheating .

So what happens if number 8 ave does not take the team under the limit ? hardly simple ...just another rule than muddies the water and is open to cheating .

Quite simple the BSPA dont approve the signing, its not difficult. They can only replace 2-5 anyway. It looks like the riders that would be the number 8 would have a 4-5.5 average so they would fit regardless.

Nothing, bar clearing the ditches up, did,t think it was going to happen after all the talk about the weather, there has been at least a good week with no rain of any significance falling. So it could have been done, by now. Not sure when It will get altered now. Next season probablly. As for not having my heart into the speedway this year, this is the worst EL I can remember. You have 2 teams that are worth a note and the rest, the other six are terrible to say the least, we are paying an extra £2 entrance fee, to watch a team that is going to stuggle along again, I can see a couple of them leaving in a few mmonths time and then where does it leave the Lions.

It would have been better to have gone back down to the PL at least we would see some decent racing. Not sure what this coming season is going to be like but I think it will be a mediocre season. I can go to Darly and watch 3 times as much racing for half the cost of what will will to get into watch the Lions and it is the same distance from where I live.

Will next year be any better and will the Lions still be up and running in the EL or PL or will the stadium be sold on.

You really don't understand speedway tracks, do you?

Even on Saturday, there was that much lying water on the track, it was nigh-on impossible to take heavy machinery onto it, without destroying the stability of the track base!! The water table is so damn high, it's only just below the surface at best at the moment.....

I have video of the work done on Saturday, you just wouldn't believe the amounts of water everywhere!!

• Like 7

You really don't understand speedway tracks, do you?

Even on Saturday, there was that much lying water on the track, it was nigh-on impossible to take heavy machinery onto it, without destroying the stability of the track base!! The water table is so damn high, it's only just below the surface at best at the moment.....

I have video of the work done on Saturday, you just wouldn't believe the amounts of water everywhere!!

Some just spout and never learn.

• Like 1