British Speedway Forum
R87

Wolverhampton 2016

So we go down to the lowest common denominator and punish success? Now that would be the death of the sport. It's up to the rest to aspire to be the best.

That's not what I said..

Balanced teams are essential to competitive racing. Fans won't to pay to see their home team overwhelmed week after week. Of course there needs to be an incentive for both riders and management to be on top form, that is what sport is about, but it's no good having rules slanted or applied in a way that allows some teams an advantage others don't ha ve,.

The EDR is a classic example of this, given the wide range of abilities between the top and bottom EDRs

Bottom line is that Speedwáy is not just a sport , it is an entertainment, and if it's not entertaining , then however noble the sporting ethos, the paying public- the ones who count- simply won't turn up, as recent years have shown.

So we go down to the lowest common denominator and punish success? Now that would be the death of the sport. It's up to the rest to aspire to be the best.

Isnt that the way its always been?

Whats harder now is there are not an abundance of top riders willing to race in the UK. Wolves need a #1 so likely that rider will have to come from someone else - over the years we've given other teams the likes of Sam, Ronnie, PK, Mikael. Now its our time to have the system support us.

I would also say now that with the silly race format and restrictions like rolling averages (brought in to thwart the likes of Poole and Coventry doing short term average manipulations but at the penalty of all), it is even harder now to build a winning team or change a losing one.

That's not what I said..

Balanced teams are essential to competitive racing. Fans won't to pay to see their home team overwhelmed week after week. Of course there needs to be an incentive for both riders and management to be on top form, that is what sport is about, but it's no good having rules slanted or applied in a way that allows some teams an advantage others don't ha ve,.

The EDR is a classic example of this, given the wide range of abilities between the top and bottom EDRs

Bottom line is that Speedwáy is not just a sport , it is an entertainment, and if it's not entertaining , then however noble the sporting ethos, the paying public- the ones who count- simply won't turn up, as recent years have shown.

They are and they won't, exemplar Wolves 2015. What Ford and Middleditch do, in conjunction with their particular brand of skullduggery and manipulation, is do the best for their club whilst planning for the future, building from a position of strength. The majority of the rest meanwhile can't see past the next season.

Isnt that the way its always been?

Whats harder now is there are not an abundance of top riders willing to race in the UK. Wolves need a #1 so likely that rider will have to come from someone else - over the years we've given other teams the likes of Sam, Ronnie, PK, Mikael. Now its our time to have the system support us.

I would also say now that with the silly race format and restrictions like rolling averages (brought in to thwart the likes of Poole and Coventry doing short term average manipulations but at the penalty of all), it is even harder now to build a winning team or change a losing one.

Not always. Why should the system have to support any promotion who have had their good times but have failed to build from a position of strength for the future and allowed the world to pass them by? The only way Wolves & others can catch up now is by moving the goal posts in their favour.

Edited by Wolfsbane
  • Like 1

When was it not? There has always been a points limit and these days the restrictions seem worst than ever.

Going back to my first year, 86, Oxford won everything, next year they offloaded Simon Wigg to Hackney to stay within points limit. Poole have lost riders in more recent years like Bjarne and Davey Watt when they were both in their prime.

Wolves had to give up PK after we won the title in 2009.

For the first time I recall Wolves have no true #1. Can you tell me where next years #1 will realistically come from? I can never recall being in this position since Sigalos got injured in 84. We've been the victim of this system way more than the beneficiary. So, if its our turn to reap the benefit, so be it. Its like a pension scheme, we've paid into it, now lets get something back!

You have all resigned yourselves to Tai not returning then?

get used to the fact the top riders dont want or need to ride over here

its only gonna get worse, the el should get into the habit of training/creating its own riders that eventually become top stars

get used to the fact the top riders dont want or need to ride over here

its only gonna get worse, the el should get into the habit of training/creating its own riders that eventually become top stars

I think it has, from various countries! Greg, Nicki, Crump, Holder, Tai, etc etc etc all got their career foundation in the UK. Nowadays it is more a stepping stone as the EL has declined by its own decision and out of date logistics.

• Like 2

I think it has, from various countries! Greg, Nicki, Crump, Holder, Tai, etc etc etc all got their career foundation in the UK. Nowadays it is more a stepping stone as the EL has declined by its own decision and out of date logistics.

Or you could say that a lot of the blame could be the impact of the GP series on the EL in this country,I really personally don't care if the GP boys are here or not ,there's a lot that can be done before we need to beg that lot to come here.Once we come to terms with that and move on looking at improving and protecting what we have got here and riders who WANT to ride in our leagues we will not be at the beck and call of these super stars.

Edited by FAST GATER

maybe but that was back in the day when the british league was THE place to become a top star , its not now

promoters should be creating / training british talent for the future

youth programme is where we lag behind

Edited by heathen chemistry

It is hard to create British talent when you allow foreign riders to get a 3.00 average and take the places that should be for the National League riders looking to progress

• Like 2

and having a british WORLD CHAMPION not riding here doesn't help our cause...but I fully back Tai not wanting to ride here

It is hard to create British talent when you allow foreign riders to get a 3.00 average and take the places that should be for the National League riders looking to progress

You pointing at zac and Spiller?- Both British.

The real issue isn't a couple of riders getting into NL, its the amount of European riders. The squeeze put on Australians and Americans wont create a single job for british riders. Its the law of the land that European riders can race in the UK and look at some clubs, especially PL. A cheap option.

and having a british WORLD CHAMPION not riding here doesn't help our cause...but I fully back Tai not wanting to ride here

It's a tad embarrassing in a way. What european rider in the GPs doesn't ride in their home country? 🙈